Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:40 PM   #1

OK, for my own use, I have an FZ-10 which I love for outdoors. But my wife has been hounding me ever since I got it (a couple years now!) that she just wants something small for get-togethers, family, and friends. And I agree (plus I'm tired of 'hearing' about it !)

So, I'm looking for good 'credit card' size ultra compact that takes excellent pictures 'point and shoot' but maybe with some extra control for me. 4 megapixel is fine, but I need it to be an 'indoors' camera. My wife would rather I take the pictures but is tired of me 'opting out' of lugging my FZ-10 to get-togethers. I envision myself keeping it in my shirtpocket all the time to catch those good 'moments' shots, which is why I'm looking for very lightweight and small. I'd like it to have a 'burst mode' as I have found it very handy for 'people' shots where I tend to cath them with their eyes closed (you'd think probability would be in my favor !)

Anyway, I plan to check this site and dpreview. But any other site information/reviews, or personal experiences would be helpful.

TIA
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:02 PM   #2

I have a Sony W-7 that I got by making my wife buy me out of my Sony W-1. For indoor, no flash, use you can set the Program mode to ASA 400 or use a flash in auto mode. Since there is a focus assist lamp, at 12 feet or under you can hardly ever go wrong. The auto setting is great for outdoor use. I have all of the additional add on lenses and the extra flash unit which is very good. I can put the camera in one pocket and the other stuff in another. My wife will have nothing to do with the extra lenses which is fine by me.

Steve has an excellent review of the Olympus 800. Some people seem to hate this camera but it sure is small and can go anywhere. I might try one someday?

I moved up to the FZ30 which I like as well....and I carry the W-7 with a W/A lens attached along. The two cameras make a good combination.

Good luck
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:05 PM   #3

I forgot to mention, if you go to: www.pbase.com/normc/recent there are some sample photos that my wife took up at our cabun with the Sony W-1
Old Oct 20, 2005, 5:21 PM   #4

I wouldn't consider the sony w-1 a credit card size camera but if you are thinking of the sony w-1 then also consider the fuji f10 which is a little smaller and apparently has an acceptable iso1600 which will do very nicely indoors. The f11 is soon to be released with more manaual controls. See reviews for both of these cameras at dpreveiw.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 5:28 PM   #5

My mistake on the size issue. It does fit nicely in a pocket and it also travels very well. Also on: www.pbase.com/normc/peru are some photos my wife took with the W-1 on a trip there last winter. There are so many cameras to select from I would be the last person to tell anyone what to buy.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 8:58 PM   #6

While I was REALLY wanting ULTRA thin/light etc., I'm finding that maybe I'm giving up too much for that extra 1/2" thinness (is that a word??). The best thin models so far seem to be the Canon SD450 or the Fujii Z1 (Z2 will not be sold in the states.) As long as it fits in my front pocket, doesn't bulge out too much and doesn't weigh me down I guess I'll compromise. I like the manual controls that the Sony W1 offers but I'm thinking it's maybe just a little too 'thick'. I'll need to go to a store and see an actual model. It does seem to offer a lot of value though! I may also check out its little brother the P200. I do like the F10 also and the online reviews of it are also very good! Online users mention it a lot. It uses a larger CCD ? The ISO ratings are intriguing especially when the reviews say the noise level is quite acceptable. Since I hate using flash, the Fuji may be my best bet. Perhaps the F11 will work for me depending on what additional controls it features. I'll check them out further. [edit] Looks like the F11 will not be available in the states. Oh well.

The camera that I think my wife would like the best would be the Sony DMC N1 due out in mid-November. The 3" LCD slideshow feature would sell her on it (people ALWAYS want to see right away as you take the pictures, especially kids.) $500 price does NOT sell me on it though, so she'll not even know that camera exists ;-) (unless of course it is heavily discounted, which I doubt.)

Thanks again for the help. On to more research !
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:54 PM   #7

At the risk of being overbearing, I'll make one more comment. Small cameras typically have small batteries. My Ultra Thin was not good for many photos. The Sony W-1 and W-7 can use two AA high quality disposable batteries that outlast all of the rechargable types. You can leave the charger home So while you are looking consider something where all you have to have ,in your pocket, is the camera. My wife used her W-1 for two weeks in Peru with just two AA's
Old Oct 20, 2005, 11:22 PM   #8

Good insight. I had thought of a hot-shoe for flash but decided that it made no sense if it added extra 'bulk' to carry around. That is one of the reasons I liked the higher ISO with no flash. But as far as batteries, as long as they get a few hours of use, I think I'd be fine as I always carry at least a spare or two fully charged. Since the batteries are small, no big deal. But ability to use normal batteries and not having to replace often would be a good plus.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:21 AM   #9

To be specific. We use Energizer Lithium AA4 batteries. They are not cheap compared to other types, but boy do they last. The initial idea was to just use them for trips but they became the best choice for all around use. I do not think the W series Sony cameraa will run at all on the ordinary AA battery?
Old Oct 23, 2005, 11:21 AM   #10

By "normal" I meant 'non-proprietary', your point is well taken. I did see the F10 at Circuit City (strangely it was not displayed... I had to ask the salesman) and really it is about the maximimum I'd want to go size-wise. I saw a Sony T7 that is amazingly small. More research. If the F11 were available in the states, I'd probably get that, but sadly, it won't be.

I guess I should have put this thread in the other forum, but I prefer getting feedback from fellow Pany owners. My apologies to members.