Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 22, 2005, 3:38 AM   #1

Some of the posters in the forum mentioned that digital zoom is a useless feature. I'm relatively new to this. Please correct me if my 2 beliefs are incorrect:

1. Digital zooms can save space for long travels where uploading pictures to a computer isn't possible. (I know this has to be true)

2. Digital zoom can affect the exposure. e.g. if your subject is small, and either very dark or very bright, the meteoring may give incorrect result. Although there're a few ways to get around that (like manual mode), one is to zoom in to make the subject bigger to cover a larger section of the screen. I don't know if this is correct at all, but I'm just making an assumption.
RayYong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:11 AM   #2

RayYong wrote:
Quote:
Some of the posters in the forum mentioned that digital zoom is a useless feature. I'm relatively new to this. Please correct me if my 2 beliefs are incorrect:
Quote:
Digital zoom is not useless, it may not live up to some peoples expectations but with some cameras especially the FZ30 , digital zoom works very well for the extremely long distance photo. I have many digital zoom photos from a FZ10 that I am very glad I used the zoom.
Quote:

1. Digital zooms can save space for long travels where uploading pictures to a computer isn't possible. (I know this has to be true)
Quote:
That seems to be a poor reason to use digital zoom, most cameras have a setting to allow more compression on the photo that is a better option than digital zoom. But the statement is true.
Quote:

2. Digital zoom can affect the exposure. e.g. if your subject is small, and either very dark or very bright, the meteoring may give incorrect result. Although there're a few ways to get around that (like manual mode), one is to zoom in to make the subject bigger to cover a larger section of the screen. I don't know if this is correct at all, but I'm just making an assumption.
Quote:
Once again I have taken plenty of photos using digital zoom in program mode and while the more light thats available the better it works ..I do not think I agree with that statement. But for sure the subject will cover a larger area of the photo.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:31 AM   #3

I for one find digital zooms useful under some circumstances. Try to spot focus on a distant bird's eye ball etc.? Just because you can use an editor to crop does not mean that you should not use the same feature on your camera. This is also similar to B&W settings on camera and converting color to B&W with an editor. I like to see my B&W on camera so for me the editor bit is a none issue.

What I would really like to know about the digital zoom is this: since the resolution is reduced are you now using the entire CCD? If so, then digital zooms are not just a crop! Sony has called this "Smart Zoom"
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:52 AM   #4

normc wrote:
Quote:
I for one find digital zooms useful under some circumstances. Try to spot focus on a distant bird's eye ball etc.? Just because you can use an editor to crop does not mean that you should not use the same feature on your camera. This is also similar to B&W settings on camera and converting color to B&W with an editor. I like to see my B&W on camera so for me the editor bit is a none issue.
Quote:
I agree with you
Quote:

What I would really like to know about the digital zoom is this: since the resolution is reduced are you now using the entire CCD? If so, then digital zooms are not just a crop! Sony has called this "Smart Zoom"
Quote:
But digital zoom is just a crop ..and while it seems to be a popular opinion that the Extended zoom on the FZ30 is also just a crop, the results do not seem to confirm that.What makes me feel that way is you can use the EZ and the DZ and still come up with a pretty good photo.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:05 PM   #5

RayYong wrote:
Quote:
Not really. When using TIFF you don't save no space at all. With JPEG you could get a smaller size because the pictures are a bit blurred.

Quote:
Insuch cases you should use spot metering.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:08 PM   #6

normc wrote:
Quote:
With digital zoom, you use the information of the middle of the CCD and then blow up the picture to the full size. With "Smart Zoom" or "Extended Zoom" you just take the crop an leave it as it is.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 3:11 PM   #7

According to the Sony W-7 manual the amount of "Smart Zoom" is proportional to the resolution of the camera. There is, as it states, almost no distortion. Thus at the VGA mode the 3x optical + digital can zoom to a 14x. It just seems like a lot to push into the same size on a CCD?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote