Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 23, 2005, 8:28 PM   #1
jcr

Does the FZ30 take any advantage using a very fast SD card Like Sandisk Extreme III (133x card or any other like this one)or is it money on the fly...:roll:?

I guess on FZ20 there was no use for faster than 60x, but did pana any velocity upgrade ?

I didn't anyone or review mentioning this...(fz30 related)
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2005, 10:07 PM   #2

i believe the FZ30 runs a LITTLE faster than the 20, but it still doesn't need anything faster than 60x (9MB/sec). Sandisk makes good cards, but overpriced in today's memory market. the best deal i've found is the Kingmax Platinum cards from Newegg.com. the cards are 60X, and i've been using them for months in my FZ20 with nary a hiccup. and Newegg has some of the best prices available, and great service as well.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:12 PM   #3
jcr

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i believe the FZ30 runs a LITTLE faster than the 20, but it still doesn't need anything faster than 60x (9MB/sec). Sandisk makes good cards, but overpriced in today's memory market. the best deal i've found is the Kingmax Platinum cards from Newegg.com. the cards are 60X, and i've been using them for months in my FZ20 with nary a hiccup. and Newegg has some of the best prices available, and great service as well.
As working on a sandisk reseller, my opinion is that they are not overpriced, resellers do tag them high, based on good rate, and as high quality item, price differentiating them. The Price is no more than 5% higher that other major brands, but there are other that have even higher prices.One more reason is the long chain, there is a master distributor, sub-distributors, resellers, etc until the store...adding %. It's a matter of buying on the right place

My question was about camera effective speed with different card speed's, that kind of stuff not very analyzed on camera reviews...how can we know this (find this kind of info) ?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:27 PM   #4

you were asking if the FZ30 could benefit from a 133x card... from all i've heard, the answer is no. i seem to recall reading somewhere, perhaps one of the FZ30 reviews, that it writes at something around 6-7MB/sec, which is a skosh faster than the FZ20, but still not enough to warrant spending money on a 133x (18-20BMB/sec) card. 60x should be plenty fast enough.

as for your comments about the supply chain, i'm sure Sandisk makes a good product ( i actually have an Ultra II 256MB card as a backup), and their distribution and service are excellent. but the Ultra II 512 MB card is almost $60 at Newegg, and the Kingmax, which offers the same performance, is half the cost. frankly, i don't see anything Sandisk offers (or Lexar, or PNY, or any of the other "premium" brands) that is worth the extra money.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:10 PM   #5
jcr

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
you were asking if the FZ30 could benefit from a 133x card... from all i've heard, the answer is no. i seem to recall reading somewhere, perhaps one of the FZ30 reviews, that it writes at something around 6-7MB/sec, which is a skosh faster than the FZ20, but still not enough to warrant spending money on a 133x (18-20BMB/sec) card. 60x should be plenty fast enough.

as for your comments about the supply chain, i'm sure Sandisk makes a good product ( i actually have an Ultra II 256MB card as a backup), and their distribution and service are excellent. but the Ultra II 512 MB card is almost $60 at Newegg, and the Kingmax, which offers the same performance, is half the cost. frankly, i don't see anything Sandisk offers (or Lexar, or PNY, or any of the other "premium" brands) that is worth the extra money.
Thanks squirl foranswering, was the type of data I was looking for

I can tell you that for $63 I can buy at our place a Sandisk Estreme III 1Gb (ok, special employee price)
Old Oct 25, 2005, 4:23 PM   #6

Hello!

I'm new user of the FZ30 - it couldn't benefit from a 133x card indeed.

But there is another reason for buying kind of fast SD cards -
I used to download pictures from card not via USB but with SD card reader.

USB link in FZ30 is not so fast - 1.1 is not my favourite.
But with USB 2.0 SD card-reader I can download, view and even postprocess
pictures so quick as card speed-rate allows

I can find the Kingston, Infineon or others 2GB cards with quite good prices
- than why should you buy worst (slower) version ..??

with regards,
Slash, Poland

SlashPL is offline   Reply With Quote