Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:52 AM   #11

Thanks for all the help. I eventually emailed sunpak.jp and this was their very quick reply on Sunday evening!!!

"Please advise that the trigger voltage of auto 36SR is about 6 to 8 volts.

Auto 36SR is sold in Japan only and the owner's manual in Japanese is only available."

I am impressed with their customer service.. .Well in Japan at least.

Allan

Dassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 4:02 PM   #12

Hi

I tried your advice, hooked a Speedlite 420EZ, after isolating the extra 4 contacts, to the camera, set it to external flash and: Nothing happen, the flash did not fire!

I tried different camera setting, different flash setting, nothing works!

What did I do wrong (the flash and camera work fine seperatly)?

How did you set it up?
atir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:44 PM   #13

I have also tried to connect my Canon EZ430 to the FZ-30. With none of the contacts covered it fires but always has too much power even when told to stop down (3 stops +/- on gun). The camera sets itself to F4 and cannot be changed.

I tried the gun in A-TTL and manual modes with little success though in manual mode I think its just a matter of finding the correct setting/calculation - I was being impatient!

The gun has 5 contacts on the bottom plus the ground contact which is in the slider on the side of the hotshoe. The contacts on the base are arranged as 2 rows of 2 with the fifth contact just in front of the rear four and central. I used tape on the camera to cover the rear of the hot shoe so that the rear 4 contacts touched nothing conductive but the front central contact makes a join. In this mode the camera is not even aware there is an external gun attached!

How did you do it? I'd really like to know.

With thanks
vosht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:49 PM   #14

Vosht, I have used the EZ420 just the way you set yours up and have had no problem with it working. I believe atir had a problem with it working at first also and then he got it to work, (possibly without covering the four contacts). I have found as you did that it is somethimes difficult to use as it seems to be too powerful ! If you find a way to adjust the flash output please let me know! Jim

just noticed that you stated yours was a EZ430, mine is a EZ420 !?
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:55 PM   #15

Vosht, Think I may have figured it out! Set the flash to manual mode, (on the flash unit itself) then press the 'manu' button and set it to 1/32, at that setting it is at it's lowest flash power. Setting 1/1 is the brightess flash. Then you can adjust to any number in between ! Let me know if that works for you. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:54 AM   #16

Hi

As I stated befor, it works well without isolating the contacts.
I was mainly concern with an old flash that I bought second hand for a few $ so I did not try all the different flash and camera setting, however The canon EZ420 worked fine in manual mode and I tried different setting for output power and they all work.
I used the flash mainly indoors and always aim it towards the ceiling, so you need more output power than shooting it directly at the subject.
I put the canon flash back on my EOS 3 and it works fine == No damage done to the flash with contacts exposed.
With regards to the camera setting, the manual is very confusing. I just tried it in all the camera setting and noted which mode and what setting works best for me. Most of the modes work and I tend to leave it in Aparature Priority as this is the main mode that I use.
Hope it was helpful.

Let me know if you need more information.

Atir
atir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 6:02 PM   #17

Yes, and thanks to those who have replied, I now have it working in manual mode. Set to ISO 100, F4.0 in Aperture priority mode. I set the flash to 1/32 for up to about 4-5 meters away, then 1/16 up to about 8-10 meters. I tried 1/1 for a wide-angle shot outdoors at night with 35mm which almost worked OK. Could have done with 1 or 2 stops more.

It is good that it works but I am not sure it is as good as an auto gun - but not far short. The pictures are not quite at the quality I get with my old Canon EOS + the same flash in auto-TTL but it is not really a fair comparison.

I'm going to visit the shops and try out a Sunpak/Vivitar gun or three to see how they compare.
vosht is offline   Reply With Quote