Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 26, 2005, 7:57 PM   #11

jcr wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
You are associating $12.00 cheap with being inferior. Hoya is the only company to make a dual coated UV. The light transmission difference between it and the most expensive multi-coated UV you can buy is ¼ of an F-stop. If you think you can see that your ego is tugging at your purse strings. I have been taking pictures for over 57 years and have heard that phrase inordinate amount of times. " I am not going to put that cheap filter in front of my high quality lens". The optical quality of this filter is the same as their top of the line it is a matter of coatings. Hoya does make an uncoated UV in a green case andI would never put that filter in front of my worst lens.

[align=justify]We are both satisfied with results from our filters...That's good... I personaly prefer the MRC (Multi Resistant Coating). In some premium brands (b&W, Rodenstock, Heliopan) it's a
enhanced process that assures virtually complete elimination of surface reflections on both sides of each filter and thus leads to a maximization of light transmission. In addition, its extraordinary hardness minimizes scratching and its water- and dirt repelling surfaces facilitate the care of filters, Iam completelly shure of it, I already testes both cheap and more expensive (I currently have those three mencioned brands). Of course there are other less quality brands that use same nomenclature, with no such quality and no benefits at all, I personaly prefer a single coated B&W than a cheap MC one.[/align]
I am still using a 30 year-old dual coated 62mm Hoya UV on my FZ10. I have cleaned it more times then you have years and do not have a mark on it. Please save the sales pitch for someone else, I know it by heart.

So this leaves us in the same spot that has been discussed since filters were invented. Nobody ever moves off their position especially if the possess one of these upper end models. Then there is the other camp that refuses to put any filter in front of their superior front element. Yada Yada Yada
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 8:06 PM   #12

Here is another one:

Linear polarizers are better at polarization then circular polarizers. The circular is a compromise of the original designed linear and was developed to resolve focus problems on TTL mirror systems. The linear has andreduction factor of 3.0; circulars 2.0.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 5:43 PM   #13
jcr

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
I am still using a 30 year-old dual coated 62mm Hoya UV on my FZ10. I have cleaned it more times then you have years and do not have a mark on it. Please save the sales pitch for someone else, I know it by heart.

So this leaves us in the same spot that has been discussed since filters were invented. Nobody ever moves off their position especially if the possess one of these upper end models. Then there is the other camp that refuses to put any filter in front of their superior front element. Yada Yada Yada

Lovelife, I respect your opinion. In many situations focused on this forumwe are on the same side. In general regarding Filters, I personaly prefer the brandsI mencioned Before.Hoya have somequality "steps"If In future, for some reason I wouldbuy hoya, It would be Pro-1 Line, thin, front threads,good glass, good coating. ToendI must say that I understand that You sell some type of Hoya material, In your country they are less expensive than top end filters like B+W. I live in Portugal a small countryin Europe, for me to import from outside Europe, I have to pay a larger post charge and a huge amount on custom charges. Top of line B+W filers buyed here are less expensive, because it is a ECC product, no custom charges apply, only shipping, simple as that, why buy a "cheap brand/product" when is cheaper to buy a top brand / product ??, I think both of us expressed our point of view, and both of us have some type of reason.
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 5:48 PM   #14
jcr

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Here is another one:

Linear polarizers are better at polarization then circular polarizers. The circular is a compromise of the original designed linear and was developed to resolve focus problems on TTL mirror systems. The linear has andreduction factor of 3.0; circulars 2.0.
regarding polarizers, I don't know why, but it's impossible to find Linear type in my country (maybe because people do not search this type any more ?), I'm trying to find them on online stores on other ECC country, but it is not easy, I posted on this forum searching for on line store in Europe. No-one answered. Circular are everywhere...
Old Oct 29, 2005, 12:56 AM   #15

jcr wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Here is another one:

regarding polarizers, I don't know why, but it's impossible to find Linear type in my country (maybe because people do not search this type any more ?), I'm trying to find them on online stores on other ECC country, but it is not easy, I posted on this forum searching for on line store in Europe. No-one answered. Circular are everywhere...
Sorry they are not too popular here either there is more profit in the circular and multi-coated models. Do you have access to eBay? You could get a 55mm Hoya linearsent to you for about $25.00US. I do not know how that would match with local prices.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 3:41 AM   #16

jcr wrote:
Quote:

Lovelife, I respect your opinion. In many situations focused on this forumwe are on the same side. In general regarding Filters, I personaly prefer the brandsI mencioned Before.Hoya have somequality "steps"If In future, for some reason I wouldbuy hoya, It would be Pro-1 Line, thin, front threads,good glass, good coating. ToendI must say that I understand that You sell some type of Hoya material, In your country they are less expensive than top end filters like B+W. I live in Portugal a small countryin Europe, for me to import from outside Europe, I have to pay a larger post charge and a huge amount on custom charges. Top of line B+W filers buyed here are less expensive, because it is a ECC product, no custom charges apply, only shipping, simple as that, why buy a "cheap brand/product" when is cheaper to buy a top brand / product ??, I think both of us expressed our point of view, and both of us have some type of reason.
jcr:

I live in Europe also. Where do you normally buy your filters?

Thanks.
skyrocketfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 3:47 AM   #17

jcr wrote:
Quote:

I bought B+W MRC linear polarising from Speed Graphic in UK before.

Teamwork is another store which sells Heliopan linear polarising, but I've never bought anything from them before.

skyrocketfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 6:11 PM   #18
jcr

skyrocketfw wrote:
Quote:
jcr:

I live in Europe also. Where do you normally buy your filters?

Thanks.
Look for seller 120176 on ebay, it's located in germany top of line New UV filter MRC from B+W at 22€ on 55mm, they have many sizes and versions, some from hoya also, but price is less interesting.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 6:20 PM   #19
jcr

skyrocketfw wrote:
Quote:

I bought B+W MRC linear polarising from Speed Graphic in UK before.

Teamwork is another store which sells Heliopan linear polarising, but I've never bought anything from them before.

Thank You,Skyrocketfw. I'm going to seach for those stores and take a look