Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:15 PM   #1

Hello,

I posted this question in the Lenses forum, but since many folks here use it with their FZs, I wanted to ask the same question here.

I am looking to buy Oly wide/tele lens, but I am a bit confused. On Ebay there are few different model with the same factor. For example, there are TCON14, TCON14D, TCON14B, etcor TCON17, TCON17F, TCON17E, etc. The same with .8 and .7 WCONs.

How can I tell which are better :?:?:??

Thank you.
lokosofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:05 PM   #2

the suffixdenotesthe mounting size/style, and makes no difference in the optical performance or quality. the TCON-17 is nominally 1.7x, and the TCON-14B is 1.45x, but you really won't notice much difference in the results. the TCON-14B is a good deal bigger andheavier, and is more expensive than the TCON-17, but it's also a bit sharper and less prone to chromatic aberration. for an FZ10/15/20, you'll probably be using an adapter with 62mm threads, sothe simplest solution is aTCON-14B teleconverter, which will screw directly onto your adapter. the -14D and -14E will not fit. you could also use a TCON-17 as well, but you'd need a 62-55mm stepdown ring. don't use the -17F or -17E.

i have a TCON-14B, and can attest that it works very well, and although it's heavy and bulky, it produces very good results. a friend has the TCON-17 for her FZ1, and it works well too, but produces more purple fringing under conditions of extreme contrast. i cannot offer an opinion on the WCON wide-angle adapters, as i don't own one, but there are a number of folks here who do, and can provide tips on that series if you so desire. i do believe the onlywide-anglelens that will fit is the WCON07, and that will require a 62-55mm stepdown ring.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:05 PM   #3

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:58 AM   #4

I have a wcon 08 which has 55mm rear threads as well and works perfectly with my FZ1 & 3. You'll need a step down ring for use with the 10/15/20 but since I have not tried it I don't know if the wcon 08 will work perfectly on them or not.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:03 AM   #5

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
the suffixdenotesthe mounting size/style, and makes no difference in the optical performance or quality. the TCON-17 is nominally 1.7x, and the TCON-14B is 1.45x, but you really won't notice much difference in the results. the TCON-14B is a good deal bigger andheavier, and is more expensive than the TCON-17, but it's also a bit sharper and less prone to chromatic aberration. for an FZ10/15/20, you'll probably be using an adapter with 62mm threads, sothe simplest solution is aTCON-14B teleconverter, which will screw directly onto your adapter. the -14D and -14E will not fit. you could also use a TCON-17 as well, but you'd need a 62-55mm stepdown ring. don't use the -17F or -17E.

i have a TCON-14B, and can attest that it works very well, and although it's heavy and bulky, it produces very good results. a friend has the TCON-17 for her FZ1, and it works well too, but produces more purple fringing under conditions of extreme contrast. i cannot offer an opinion on the WCON wide-angle adapters, as i don't own one, but there are a number of folks here who do, and can provide tips on that series if you so desire. i do believe the onlywide-anglelens that will fit is the WCON07, and that will require a 62-55mm stepdown ring.

On the FZ10,15 and 20:

TCON14B 62mm mount TCON17 55mm mount.

Wcon08B = 62mm mount WCON08E= 55mm mount Wcon07 =55mm mount.

Step rings add 4mm displacement and degrade lens performance. There is an adapter that has special rings that do not degrade performance.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 8:30 AM   #6

I only want to add that usually the letter at the end indicate the mount used as others said ..but that is not the case with the Tcon 14D, that is a much smaller lens and is no where near the quality of the 14B...Do not ask how I know..OK ...some shady Ebayer got me for 80 bucks for a lens worth 20.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:07 PM   #7

Wow,

Thanks for the info. Now I know what to look for, phew
Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:43 PM   #8

Hmm,

Now I have other questions :?:?. After checking the prices on Ebay, it seems that WCON08E are half the price of WCON08B or 08D. Is there such a big difference in their quality? Also, how WCON07 compares to WCON08B ?

Thanks again.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:39 PM   #9

Be aware that lots of people on Ebay sell refurbished or refilled lens as new.

All those styles of 08's are basicly $135.00 (New)with the E being 5 dollars more because it comes with a step ring. and keep in mind you can not use a WconD because it is a bayonet mount.

It is the same quality as the 07 but the 08 is not quite as wide

B 62mm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

e55mm

d bayonet

Wcon 07C is also a bayonet mount

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 3:32 PM   #10

Well,

I was looking at the Oly acutions, and they claim the lenses are BRAND NEW. If the 08E quality is the same as 08B, prob I'll go for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLYMPUS-WCON-08E...QQcmdZViewItem

:|