Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:28 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
d-sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Abilene. TX
Posts: 1,486
Default

I set my FZ15on 2304 picture size and the fine jpeg. I usually leave my camera on the continuous shooting mode. I use a 512 Ultra 11 sd card and when it is empty the camera says it has room for 183 pictures. I can usually get around 350 pictures on the card with these settings instead of the 183 it says will fit.When I take photos, usually in the continouous mode one might say it is 1.27mp and the next of the same subject will say it has 454kb.Why the difference and is my camera really taking a 4 MP picture? Should I be takng photos using TIFF? With the settings above I have always had focusing problems. Have never been able to achieve really sharp photos like are posted on this forum. Thanks in advance for comments.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Don :?
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2005, 3:33 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

what is your jpeg compression set to? if you're set to max compression, you will fit more images on a memory card, but image quality will not be as good. with my FZ20, i get just about what i'm supposed to... 220-240 pictures per card, using 2560x1920 resolution, at minimum compression. also, note that the more complex the image, the more memory it will require. a picture of a clump of bushes will take more space than a shot of clear sky.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 3:42 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
genece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,111
Default

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
I set my FZ15on 2304 picture size and the fine jpeg. I usually leave my camera on the continuous shooting mode. I use a 512 Ultra 11 sd card and when it is empty the camera says it has room for 183 pictures. I can usually get around 350 pictures on the card with these settings instead of the 183 it says will fit.
Quote:
You can always get more photos on a card than the original guess the camera makes but that seems like too many more...maybe because you say a lot of photos are out of focus and do not contain much detail.
Quote:
When I take photos, usually in the continouous mode one might say it is 1.27mp and the next of the same subject will say it has 454kb.Why the difference and is my camera really taking a 4 MP picture?
Quote:
I find that the photos on my FZ10 run somewhere between 1.2 and 1.7mbs usually.
Quote:
Should I be takng photos using TIFF?
Quote:
NO!
Quote:
With the settings above I have always had focusing problems. Have never been able to achieve really sharp photos like are posted on this forum. Thanks in advance for comments.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Don :?

One thing to understand is a lot of the photos you see posted anywhere have had some post processing done to them.

I will tell you some of my favorite settings and maybe you can try them. They may not work for you but it can not hurt to try.

First set the camera back to factory defaults and then change these settings.

1..Turn off continuous auto focus

2. use spot focus and meter.

3. set the ISO to auto

4. Image stabilizer to mode 2

5. and set a - 2/3 exposure compensation

6. set the picture adjustments to standard for all but NR which set to low.

7. I really like burst mode but try some photos with and without it.

See if those make any difference in your shots...
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 2:58 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
d-sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Abilene. TX
Posts: 1,486
Default

Where do you check the compression numbers? I have PICT.Size at 2304 and Quality set at Fine Jpeg, but I don't find anything about changing the compression rate.
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:42 PM.