Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:28 PM   #1

I set my FZ15on 2304 picture size and the fine jpeg. I usually leave my camera on the continuous shooting mode. I use a 512 Ultra 11 sd card and when it is empty the camera says it has room for 183 pictures. I can usually get around 350 pictures on the card with these settings instead of the 183 it says will fit.When I take photos, usually in the continouous mode one might say it is 1.27mp and the next of the same subject will say it has 454kb.Why the difference and is my camera really taking a 4 MP picture? Should I be takng photos using TIFF? With the settings above I have always had focusing problems. Have never been able to achieve really sharp photos like are posted on this forum. Thanks in advance for comments.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Don :?
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2005, 3:33 PM   #2

what is your jpeg compression set to? if you're set to max compression, you will fit more images on a memory card, but image quality will not be as good. with my FZ20, i get just about what i'm supposed to... 220-240 pictures per card, using 2560x1920 resolution, at minimum compression. also, note that the more complex the image, the more memory it will require. a picture of a clump of bushes will take more space than a shot of clear sky.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 3:42 PM   #3

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
I set my FZ15on 2304 picture size and the fine jpeg. I usually leave my camera on the continuous shooting mode. I use a 512 Ultra 11 sd card and when it is empty the camera says it has room for 183 pictures. I can usually get around 350 pictures on the card with these settings instead of the 183 it says will fit.
Quote:
You can always get more photos on a card than the original guess the camera makes but that seems like too many more...maybe because you say a lot of photos are out of focus and do not contain much detail.
Quote:
When I take photos, usually in the continouous mode one might say it is 1.27mp and the next of the same subject will say it has 454kb.Why the difference and is my camera really taking a 4 MP picture?
Quote:
I find that the photos on my FZ10 run somewhere between 1.2 and 1.7mbs usually.
Quote:
Should I be takng photos using TIFF?
Quote:
NO!
Quote:
With the settings above I have always had focusing problems. Have never been able to achieve really sharp photos like are posted on this forum. Thanks in advance for comments.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Don :?

One thing to understand is a lot of the photos you see posted anywhere have had some post processing done to them.

I will tell you some of my favorite settings and maybe you can try them. They may not work for you but it can not hurt to try.

First set the camera back to factory defaults and then change these settings.

1..Turn off continuous auto focus

2. use spot focus and meter.

3. set the ISO to auto

4. Image stabilizer to mode 2

5. and set a - 2/3 exposure compensation

6. set the picture adjustments to standard for all but NR which set to low.

7. I really like burst mode but try some photos with and without it.

See if those make any difference in your shots...
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 2:58 AM   #4

Where do you check the compression numbers? I have PICT.Size at 2304 and Quality set at Fine Jpeg, but I don't find anything about changing the compression rate.
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote