Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:40 PM   #1

I shootZ20 at the highest quality that it will shoot but have not worked with Raw format. It takes up a lot of space on the memory. Is it worth shooting in Raw?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2005, 9:07 AM   #2

I use RAW at times ..when I think it maybe a special photo and when I see no need for burst mode.

Since Rawshooter is going to have a free RAW editor for thr FZ30 soon I think we will see a lot more of what can be done with RAW.

It is not a miracle thing but it allows you to start editing a photo with no adjustments made by the camera.

While I am still trying to understand, I really doubt if it will really get a lot of use by me.

I really wish the camera had a button to allow you to take one photo now and then in RAW...That would be great.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 7:31 PM   #3

I use photoshop elements will it work with a raw photo?

RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 8:13 PM   #4

Gene

I thought the Pana's when taking a shot in RAW also save the image as a jpeg file too - the LC1 does this.

RP33

One of the guys here posted a very thorough review of the FZ30 v Fuji S9000 with a lot of sample shots taken in RAW as well as JPEG's. The thing that got me was that in RAW the noise levels in the FZ30 image even upto ISO400 was easily as good as the Fuji's but in jpg that wasn't the case. So if I was looking to take a shot where time wasn't really an issue and I wanted the best image quality then RAW has to be the way to go.

You may want to check out the forums for more info on shooting in RAW.

Hope that helps.

HarjTT
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 6:58 AM   #5

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
I shootZ20 at the highest quality that it will shoot but have not worked with Raw format. It takes up a lot of space on the memory. Is it worth shooting in Raw?
FZ20 has only TIFF - no RAW on that camera. And as far as I know there is not much difference in picture qualituy between highest jpeg and TIFF (of course there is huge difference image size), so I would stick to jpeg images. If you don't print extra large iamges than I guess there is not much difference.
But if you are regarding to FZ30, than it's different story, in which I can't help a bit (since I have FZ20) :-)
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote