Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 29, 2005, 6:54 AM   #1

Hi,

Autumn has arrived here and I can feel winter aproaching fast (first snow already fell somewhere), so my macro season is over untill May-April. But I already think how to improve my setup untill next season. I know that I will get Nikon 3t/4t (for versatility), and probably Raynox DCR-250 (to compare it with my MBS-10). Reversed 50mm (or wider) lens also is in consideration.
But that will give me nothing much without a good light, and since it's not very good idea to boost up ISO numbers, so I gues flash is my only chance. I've been thinking that two slave flashes could pretty much solve the problem. My idea is to build something like twin flash system, where these two slave flashes would produce light from both sides.
So my questions are:
1) Could you please give me some link, where I can get two (identical), cheap (or not so cheap, but max ~50$ each) slave flashes.
2) Will they (or slave flashes in overall) work if I'll set camera to 1/2000 shutterspeed, or they are limited to some other number (like 1/250)?
3) Or is it better to consider buying yust hothsoe external flash?

I know, that I will filter (or bounce, or whatever...) them somehow because the light will be too harsh, but i don't consider that a problem.
Of course biggest problem is to build some cosntruction how to attach them to camera, but I guess I should find some guy who could make it for me.

This idea just came last night, while I couldn't fell asleep, so if it sounds too crazy to be real than don't be bothered too much :G

Thanks for taking your time and reading this. :-)

CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2005, 12:05 PM   #2

Ugis just a short answer (no time!),

You know my article about slave flashes (FZ5 has no hotshoe).
This guy was faster and has a similar solution to the measuring flash.
http://users.pandora.be/cisken/Slave...ave_flash.html
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ighlight=slave

But you have got a hotshoe: think about two wired flashes, or one wired and one slave.
Modern slaveflashes have a learning mode to match the main flash, but some have to be trained each time you use them! I guess an adjustable delay is better!

So I am using cheap used METZ Flashes with modified external sensors..

Fixing the flashes to both sides is no problem, there are commercial bars available - my construction in the last amber thread is working quite well too!

Reversed 50mm is a good idea, but my best result were with enlargement lenses:
Rodagon or Componon - many people sell them because of some unknown reason they switch to digital photography. These attachments have about 30 diopt. and a very short distance to the object, new light problems arise.
My newest lens is a leitz 16mm Apo microscopic lens - resulting in +60 diopt. this is a real challenge! I will report on this part. But all this is studio equipment.

..by the way: if you don't want to be better than tchuanye ;-), just look what he is doing with his flashes. He has a "making of" page.

Good luck
Sven

ps: there has been a user panasonic, is he still alive???
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 3:43 PM   #3

Thanks Sven for input and thanks for useful information.
Hmm, wired flashes? Sounds good. Will have to "google" this. :-)
So I guess the flash question is still open for me. Now I'm again more thinking about hotshoe flash since FZ20 has this feature - why don't use it?

About reversed lenses - I looked over ebay and found some canon lens 50mm 1.4 - I guess it would fit better than Minolta 1.7? Or this will give me shallower DOF? I know that tchuanye uses this Minolta lens, and others alos recomend that lens.

+60 diopt.? That's crazy! :? I can't even imagine what pictures you can take with it!

Probably I will have plenty time to think about this during long winter evenings :lol:
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:16 AM   #4

Hi Ugis,
there will be a very (!) shallow DOF.
I am using a reversed nikon lens. The real advantage is the aperture, to get reasonable results we have to stop down to f:8. I have seen only few people using such equipment for a longer period. I will add some lines to the achromat test in the closeup forum soon.
There will be a comparison of: reversed 50mm, 28mm, enlarging lenses (much better!), componon - rodagon, leitz 16mm and your well known mbs10 with 2* lens.
I am just starting to polish my amber - this is the only object where I need such equipment.
Sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 7:35 AM   #5

Looking forward to see results of your tests! :-)