Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 29, 2005, 4:40 PM   #1

(Semi Newbie here) Just ordered FZ30 and accessories. Can't wait to get it.

Question: I ordered the DMW-CAC1 AC power adapter, primarily because I heard that a full 1GB SD card can take a while to download, and also because in the past when I looked at pics from my Kodak4800 camera I would get to browsing the pics before downloading and lose track of time, but never worried about draining the battery because I had a power adapter plugged in.

But got to thinking - if I got a portable USB multi-card reader (ie the PQI Smart Genie 4 in 1 Reader), I wouldn't need the camera to download pics to the computer, right? Plus it would be faster than the camera download because it is USB 2.0.

Also, I also ordered a DPS-9000 portable battery so will seldom be using up the internal battery.I think the 9000 it recharges itself (via elec or car) so wouldn't it be doing the same thing as the AC power adapter if I hadthe 9000plugged into an outlet while downloading?

So, why spend the $$ for the power adapter? I can just cancel the order, I hope. Am I missing something? (I normally would wait until I saw all this stuff before asking questions, but I need to cancel that order immediately.)
Margotd42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2005, 4:49 PM   #2

A card reader is the way. Very fast. no need to connect the camera, worry about
battery depletion, etc.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 4:49 PM   #3

Cancell it.

The FZ10 shipped with an AC adapter and not many people used it which is why I think its not included anymore.

I have never used the adapter even though I have the one that came with the FZ10....Do yourself a favor and get a usb2 card reader 10 to 15 bucks.

Much faster and safer for the camera.

I also Had a DC4800 ...a little different speed is it not.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 5:00 PM   #4

Thanks, ppl - that's what I thought. Saved me $82.00 !!! Just ordered it last night, the co. is closed on Saturdays, but open on Sunday so I expect to be able to cancel before shipping. I hope!!! Otherwise will reject Fed Exp shipment. Ordered it fromB&H Photo http://www.bhphotovideo.com - never dealt with them before.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 5:04 PM   #5

yeah, the DC4800 was a nice camera to learn on. Mine got stolen this summer so gave me an excuse to buy the FZ30 (had been watching the FZ20 for about a year LOL). Can't wait ....
Old Oct 29, 2005, 7:07 PM   #6

Yes the DC4800 was a nice camera but slow and the shutter lag.....

And B&H is one of the best companies going.. they will cancel or take it back no problem.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 5:55 AM   #7

I ll be the minority.

This AC wall adapter miss me a lot. I had onewith theFZ10 and i m not really happy to have to pay 100$ and a terrefic sending price to have one (panasonic france forgot they have clients!).

Why i use and like an AC wall adapter?

Because i can be on the road (jungle, mountain...) for days and when i m back a camp/hotel with hundreds pictures to check (to delete the bad one)it s boring to have 2 hours to charge a battery.

And no i not want carry 36 expensivesbatteries.

Wall adapter = unlimited time to keep thecam power on.

I would be very happy to find in a shop a smalladapter at a good price. I thought i saw one on ebay but was near 2 pounds!
mage813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 7:35 AM   #8

Well that may be a good reason to have one , myself I just dump the cards on a storage device and go back to enjoying the vacation.

I do have many batteries but have never used more than 4 to take a thousand photos in a day.

But I never sort pictures in the camera ...IMHO..that is when the problems with cards start.

Ireally can not see well enough with the LCDto sort photos anyway.

But then I guess thats why there are options.

mage813 wrote:
Quote:
I ll be the minority.

This AC wall adapter miss me a lot. I had onewith theFZ10 and i m not really happy to have to pay 100$ and a terrefic sending price to have one (panasonic france forgot they have clients!).

Why i use and like an AC wall adapter?

Because i can be on the road (jungle, mountain...) for days and when i m back a camp/hotel with hundreds pictures to check (to delete the bad one)it s boring to have 2 hours to charge a battery.

And no i not want carry 36 expensivesbatteries.

Wall adapter = unlimited time to keep thecam power on.

I would be very happy to find in a shop a smalladapter at a good price. I thought i saw one on ebay but was near 2 pounds!
Old Oct 30, 2005, 8:20 PM   #9

Have either of you looked into an external battery? According to my research (reviews and other forums - ie dpreview), the Digipower DPS-9000 battery pack lasts for 6 hrs (with camera and LCD on constantly). Plus it can be recharged via elec or car lighter. It even has built-in power indicators. If I need to power it up while shooting, I plan to just remove it for recharging and use the regular battery. Some people have said they never need to use the regular battery.

A cableplugs into the camera'sDC-in port and the pack screws to the bottom of your camera via the tripod connector, then -when youwant it - the tripod screws into to the bottom of the battery pack. (hope that made sense). Some people said toleave the battery pack connected to the camera all the time. Of course, this is not the solution for those who prefer small camera setups-it may be too bulky for them.

Ordered one for $46.90 total - of course, haven't tried it yet since I just ordered everything Friday nite. If it works like other people have quoted, it should solve my battery problem.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:24 PM   #10

I have a dps9000 along with a different battery pack and while they work great and have good staying power I found them both to be a pain. So they are buried way down in the camera case.

A tip ..do not forget to turn the camera off when using a battery pack as the Power save does not work with one and remove the original battery or you will have 2 dead batteries.

[b]ie dpreview), the Digipower DPS-9000 battery pack lasts for 6 hrs (with camera and LCD on constantly). Plus it can be recharged via elec or car lighter. It even has built-in power indicators. If I need to power it up while shooting, I plan to just remove it for recharging and use the regular battery. Some people have said they never need to use the regular battery.

A cableplugs into the camera'sDC-in port and the pack screws to the bottom of your camera via the tripod connector, then -when youwant it - the tripod screws into to the bottom of the battery pack. (hope that made sense). Some people said toleave the battery pack connected to the camera all the time. Of course, this is not the solution for those who prefer small camera setups-it may be too bulky for them.

Ordered one for $46.90 total - of course, haven't tried it yet since I just ordered everything Friday nite. If it works like other people have quoted, it should solve my battery problem.
[/quote]