Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:55 PM   #11

wonderful! those Zekes are very rare... that one appears to be in top condition!! and the F-86 on the runway is perfect... might have been taken at an airbase in South Korea during the war, except the image quality is better than anything they could've got back then! :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:09 PM   #12

Squirl, the Saber and a Mig 15 flew a mock dogfight and put on quite a show. Both planes can really manuver at high speed! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:29 PM   #13

that would've been a sight to see! if i recall correctly, the MiG-15 had an advantage in maneuverability and rate of climb, but the Sabers were generally flown by better pilots...

just for kicks, here's a shot of the P-47B Thunderbolt i took at an airshow back in the late 80's. the original was taken with a Pentax ME Super; i just snapped a pic of the 8x10 film print and tweaked it a bit to make it look okay. i also purposely desaturated the digital image (the film print is quite colorful) to simulate the poor sensitivity of the color films used in WWII...

Attached Images

Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:43 PM   #14

Nice shot Squirl. I haven't seen a P-47 at an airshow in quite a while! Here's a shot I got yesterday of a Hellcat. I had too much backlighting but you can still see it. Jim
Attached Images

Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:49 PM   #15

Squirl, here is the only fair shot I got of the Mig in the air, during the mock dogfight. Jim
Attached Images

Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:57 PM   #16

more good ones! i haven't seenHellcat in years... you caught that one nicely! the MiG looks like the trainer version... hard to catch in flight, aren't they? that's why i wish Panny had come out with a "non-freeze" EVF on the FZ30... it's awful hard to get a decent pan shot when the viewfinder freezes up as soon as you snap the picture! they could've solved that with a TTL viewfinder and some simple HUD technology to superimpose the camera data on the viewfinder internally. if they'd done that, and especially if they'd brought it out with maybe 6MP on that new size sensor (which would've resulted in some significant reduction in noise problems), i'd have ordered a '30 already. as it is, well, i'm hoping the FZ40 will address those issues...
Old Oct 30, 2005, 2:19 PM   #17

Squirl, your right on about the difficulty in getting some of the fast flying aircraft! The improvements you suggested would do wonders for improving that situation! Hopefully the next version will address that issue(s). There were some guys next to me with Canon Rebels and they were not successful at all getting the planes in flight! They were in awe of some of my shots and very impressed with the FZ30. There was a P-51 Mustang there named "Six Shooter", believe it flew in WW II or Korea and had six kills. I had to leave before it flew. Jim

Old Oct 30, 2005, 3:56 PM   #18

i used to shoot airshows (and SCCA Pro Rally races) a lot with my Pentax ME Super... even with a TTL viewfinder and a motor winder, it was sometimes difficult to get good aerial or pan shots. that winder was nice for fast sequences, but if you weren't careful, you could burn through a 24-frame roll much faster than you wanted to... i've only tried a couple of in-flight shots with my FZ20, with mixed results at best...

Old Oct 30, 2005, 4:33 PM   #19

Jim, some wonderful shots in both 1 & 2. You must have really enjoyed yourself I know I would have. My picks of the litter is the yellow happy face balloon and the jet making a low pass (you really nailed that one). .
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 4:52 PM   #20

Thanks Ted. Yes I was having a ball shooting everything in sight! Took 753 pictures total! They weren't all winners but I enjoyed it and every shot was a learning experience. I was amazed that I only had about 5 shots that were blurred. Of course I had about 10 that nothing but sky while shooting the jets! :lol: Jim