Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:47 AM   #1

I think the FZ30 may be a real good choice for me. I like the lense range and the all-in-one packaging.I also like the idea of having manual zoom like a SLR. I realize the noise level is hotlydebated, but it still maybe an excellent choice for me.

If noise becomes an issue, how easy is Noise Reduction software to use? Do you use it in addition to the Lumix software? Can it be integrated? Do you have to edit every single photo or can do a whole series at a time? Does it automatically adjust or calibrate? Does it save the original so you can compare? Willusing software be primarily for high ISO and low light shots? ( I have used the search function, but couldn't find something detailing the ease of use.)

Other than the FZ30, I am looking at the Nikon D50 and Minolta 5d. I am leaning towards the Nikon, but really wonder if its more camera than I need or want. I know I won't outgrow it, but its a lot more expensive andless convenient than the FZ30 (lense changes, sensor cleaning, etc) . Any other suggestions or advice.

macct is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:15 AM   #2

nikon d50 sucks
minolta 5d is just fine (with image stabalisation, with iso up to 3200, with little noise) if you can afford the extra money for the lenses then its great
at fz30 if you want the highest possible results use raw -> rawshooter premium 2006 -> reduce the noise there and the results will be great

if you want some extra noise reduction neat image is very simple and can be applied to jpeg files and have very pleasing results even if you dont shoot raw

do you need the 12x zoom? buy fz30 and be carefull with the iso setting, use a tripod if you can instead of boosting the iso. then the results will be great

akaloith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:29 AM   #3

this is an example before neat image and after
if you check the same crop from s9500 it is almost the same as fz30 after neat image
so s9500 has noise, a lot of noise
it just handles it with a nice way while fz30 needs reduction later

but if you want the best results shoot raw so no noise reduction is applied in camera and you only apply once noise reduction later, so the minimum of detail is lost

Attached Images

Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:42 AM   #4

neat image is very easy
download it: http://www.neatimage.net/files/NeatSetup.exe
install it
run it
open the jpeg file
you move on to the "device noise profile" tab and press the button auto profile
you move on to the "noise filter settings" tab and use the default filter preset and press preview to see the results
and then to the output image and press apply
and then save

check the help file of neat image
and also download a sample of fz30 at 400 iso
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Pana...Z30_ISO400.JPG

and try to reduce the noise
its fun
and effective

Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:58 AM   #5

The NR programs are easy to use but if you use your photos in a normal manner ,Full screen on a monitor and printer at say 8 X 10 you will most likely need no NR program if you can get properly exposed photos.

I only us a NR program if I am doing something special with a photo...a very large print or a big crop to enlarge a section of an image.

Do not leave the talk of noise bother you...My guess is you will find its not much of an issue. (especially on a properly exposed photo.)
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:10 PM   #6

Macct, My choice would be the FZ30 ! I have yet to have an issue with noise. Most of my pictures are at 80 and 100 iso. It's one of the best cameras I've used. Another good NR program is Noise Ninja, should you have the need! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:57 PM   #7

Picture cooler is another free nr program, and real easy to use. thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 6:44 PM   #8

Whenever I see "noise" and "FZ 30" in the same sentence, if there is an invitation to offer an opinion, I feel obliged to speak. I truly have no complaints with noise, and I've shot well over 1200 pics with my 30. It's not to say that noise is non existant. What I do stress is that if you can put some thought and preparation into your shot (we do that almost always anyway right?) you will get a properly exposed result. Unless you have to shoot in crummy light, without a tripod, IMO noise isn't going to be a hindrance. Even while shooting the moon in the dark, noise had no effect in making the shot less appealing. I used a tripod, and chose reasonable settings. Check ouit these shots I took last night at halloween. Low light. One is a pumpkin I carved, some halloweeners, one is our front widow with the pumpkin in it one is some decorations hanging in our tree, and ones an ambulance just happened to go by while I was outside, no tripod either with those ones. These will give a good idea how the FZ 30 handles "noise". Best regards,

KennethD
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 6:46 PM   #9

Attached Images

Old Nov 1, 2005, 6:47 PM   #10

Attached Images