Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 1, 2005, 3:37 PM   #1

Hi, all. Greetings from the frozen North. On Saturday my battery came in and I picked it up. Final cost? $74.85...Canadian dollars and cents. Ok they're lighter and smaller than AA's but for the same price I coulda bought a gazillion AA's, and never ever run out of a fresh pack. But, at least now I have the capablility to wander off away from a charger/wall socket and know I can have a back up. I decided to bite the bullet and stay with original Panasonic equipment. I also ordered the 1.7X tele, and again went for the Panasonic lense. (Oh, only another 250 bucks) Our government has announced that we, the tax gouged most apethetic citizens of any (so called) democracy on the planet...will benefit from having our pockets emptied without complaining for so long...that we will actuallt get a rebate this year. Guess what I just spent mine on?:-)Heh heh...best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2005, 3:52 PM   #2

what? you mean all that socialized medicine and stuff actually comes at a PRICE??? i am shocked! :lol:

curious as to why you chose the Panny converter. since the FZ30 has 55mm threads on the lens, and there's no need for an adapter, wouldn't a TCON-17 have done as well, and at half the price?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 3:54 PM   #3

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Hi, all. Greetings from the frozen North. On Saturday my battery came in and I picked it up. Final cost? $74.85...Canadian dollars and cents. Ok they're lighter and smaller than AA's but for the same price I coulda bought a gazillion AA's, and never ever run out of a fresh pack. But, at least now I have the capablility to wander off away from a charger/wall socket and know I can have a back up. I decided to bite the bullet and stay with original Panasonic equipment. I also ordered the 1.7X tele, and again went for the Panasonic lense. (Oh, only another 250 bucks) Our government has announced that we, the tax gouged most apethetic citizens of any (so called) democracy on the planet...will benefit from having our pockets emptied without complaining for so long...that we will actuallt get a rebate this year. Guess what I just spent mine on?:-)Heh heh...best regards,

KennethD

Hey Ken. Nice to hear a fellow hoser (hosered?) vent. My dslr uses AA's and they are convenient. Never worried about losing or dropping them, as even the rechargeables are cheap. Too bad the camera manufactureres won't all go with AA's.

What rebate are you talking about? The energy rebate? Guess I won't get one out on the Wet Coast. Heat and electricity is cheap here. I'm looking forward to seeing some shots with the Pan. tele lens on your FZ30. I haven't taken the plunge for the 30 yet, although a lot of thought has gone into it. :?Happy shooting......cheers...thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 4:21 PM   #4

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
what? you mean all that socialized medicine and stuff actually comes at a PRICE??? i am shocked! :lol:

curious as to why you chose the Panny converter. since the FZ30 has 55mm threads on the lens, and there's no need for an adapter, wouldn't a TCON-17 have done as well, and at half the price?
It I S a point to consider. There is a chance that I might actually try the TCON before I do the actual transaction. Our socialized medicine D O E S come at a price to be sure. I would be ostracized if I went into a lot of boring detail, but I'll hint with a sentence or two at the convulsions our medical evolution is going thru. We have in our fair city of roughly a million, had our government (physically) blow up and or dismantle three of our existing hospitals. This is recent history. We are currently bickering over whats left of our system like jackals competing over a deserted carcass. From an insiders point of view (wifey was an emergency physician for 13 years and still has a family practice) there are many changes both implemented and still coming...we are holding our breath with our fingers crossed. (Apology inserted for wandering off topic) But back to converters. My two main points are good glass, (sharp pics) and ease of use/good fit. I have seen some wonderful posts comparing tele's, but I wish they would have included a pic of the unit actually mounted on the camera. Anyone who has seen the pic I posted of my monster tele on my 7i will quickly know why I want this info. (here...I'll post it again) If memory serves me correctly you contributed to that topic, as well. Do you have the TCON and if so, what's your impression, apologies if you've already posted same, of course...best regards,

KennethD
Attached Images

Old Nov 1, 2005, 4:44 PM   #5

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:

KennethD

Hey Ken. Nice to hear a fellow hoser (hosered?) vent. My dslr uses AA's and they are convenient. Never worried about losing or dropping them, as even the rechargeables are cheap. Too bad the camera manufactureres won't all go with AA's.

What rebate are you talking about? The energy rebate? Guess I won't get one out on the Wet Coast. Heat and electricity is cheap here. I'm looking forward to seeing some shots with the Pan. tele lens on your FZ30. I haven't taken the plunge for the 30 yet, although a lot of thought has gone into it. :?Happy shooting......cheers...thekman.
Ha ha.....hoser? Yup...proud to be known as one, considering the origin of the description. Ya, the Klein govt has promised us a 4 hundred buck rebate to every man woman and child in Alberta, on acount of our production of gas and oil brought in higher than expected revenues. (Just bring yerself an yer whole fam damily here in time fer the rebate, then clear out when yuh cash'er apparently they ain't much yuh gotter do tuh qualify 'cept be here an line up...whoa now fellars, make sure yuh find out how L O N G yuh had t'be here a'fore yuh come)And the Feds are debating taxing those (kids) who they reckon didn't or won't be getting it as a tax rebate 'cuz they didn't pay taxes to begin with... being as they are non working bunch who didn't P A Y taxes so for them it isn't really a tax rebate. (duh?) At any rate, there's more ink in every newspaper in the province dedicated to this subject. Again...I'll get back on track. I can't wait to get some practice with a tele converter, for as much fun as I have had with the 12X zoom, there are some shots where I'm dead certain I'd have brought home a doozie if I could have got closer before my subject flew off. (Apparently the term doozie goes back to the days of the duesenberg... it was deemed to be outstanding as a car in a class of it's own, and spelling isn't my strong suit) Anyhoo...When I can transform my delight with a tele lense coupled to my FZ 30...into a post on this site, you will be treated to that apparition as quickly as I can hit "send" ! Best regards to you, my BC friend...

KennethD
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:01 PM   #6

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"

Ha ha.....hoser? Yup...proud to be known as one, considering the origin of the description. Ya, the Klein govt has promised us a 4 hundred buck rebate to every man woman and child in Alberta, on acount of our production of gas and oil brought in higher than expected revenues. (Just bring yerself an yer whole fam damily here in time fer the rebate, then clear out when yuh cash'er apparently they ain't much yuh gotter do tuh qualify 'cept be here an line up...whoa now fellars, make sure yuh find out how L O N G yuh had t'be here a'fore yuh come)And the Feds are debating taxing those (kids) who they reckon didn't or won't be getting it as a tax rebate 'cuz they didn't pay taxes to begin with... being as they are non working bunch who didn't P A Y taxes so for them it isn't really a tax rebate. (duh?) At any rate, there's more ink in every newspaper in the province dedicated to this subject. Again...I'll get back on track. I can't wait to get some practice with a tele converter, for as much fun as I have had with the 12X zoom, there are some shots where I'm dead certain I'd have brought home a doozie if I could have got closer before my subject flew off. (Apparently the term doozie goes back to the days of the duesenberg... it was deemed to be outstanding as a car in a class of it's own, and spelling isn't my strong suit) Anyhoo...When I can transform my delight with a tele lense coupled to my FZ 30...into a post on this site, you will be treated to that apparition as quickly as I can hit "send" ! Best regards to you, my BC friend...

KennethD

Lol. I love it. I've been sitting here today (another rainy one),doing some pp and watching the Gomrey inquiry fallout.Lots of fun watching all the pigsjustifying their existenceat the public trough, and blaming everyone else but Santa Claus for this whole mess. Lovely country we live in, but my, we do have some morons running it. :whack:Cheers......thekman. ps:you gotta room i can rent so i can cash in on the windfall?:homey:

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:21 PM   #7

sorry for the double post...
Old Nov 1, 2005, 10:21 PM   #8

i have a TCON-14B, because that's what fits the 62mm adapter on my FZ20. it's a very good lens... clear, sharp, with almost zero CA. i have compared images taken using it and a TCON-17, and aside from a very slight increase in CA with the 17, the images were excellent. the TCON-17 is a bit stronger than the -14B (1.7x vs 1.45), but it's much smaller, weighs about 9 oz and has a 77mm objective lens (for comparison, the -14B weighs a full pound and has an 86mm objective). it fits nicely on an FZ1, so i've no doubt it will do just as well on your FZ30. also there's no adapter needed, the TCON-17 would screw directly onto the threads on your lens.

i couldn't offer an opinion on the TCON-17 compared to the Panny converter, since i've never used one (though by all accounts the latter is very good), but i would venture to say that in all but the most demanding of applications, you'd never be able to tell the difference, and the Oly lens is MUCH cheaper.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 5:16 PM   #9

I just got a call from the Camera store, they have my tele add on 1.7X Panasonic...and I am on my way to pick it up. The TCON 17 is also there at about 45$ cheaper. But, they did give me a nice incentive to stay Panasonic all the way, by giving me a nice little price break. You know, I feel so satisfied with the Panasonic FZ 30, I wouldn't have minded paying M O R E for the camera knowing how much I enjoy it, and how good it is. I paid 1700$ for my old 7i when it first hit the market, and it is like a tool from stonehenge compared to the Panasonic, and the Panasonic was 725 bucks cheaper. I feel paying a few more ducats to Panasonic and staying loyal to their brand (for their 1.7X tele) will be akin to me saying thank you for such a great product! (and at a super price for what you get) Watch out your window cuzz I'm headin out to buy that lense, an all your gonna see is S M O K E...and some examples here soon as I start getting some shots with the tele...best rgerads,

KennethD