Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 1, 2005, 7:07 PM   #1

Hi everyone,This is my first post,and it is on behalf of my father, so please bear with me!I have been trying to find some information regarding a problem with the LCD on my father's DMC-FZ20K.*I bought the camera for him last year, and it is almost out of warranty. Last week while taking some photos, he noticed that the LCD was no longer displaying an image, or any menu information. Rather, the LCD shows a strange green/pink colour, and what appears to be a bar-code pattern in the bottom right corner of the LCD. The EVF conitues to function, and the camera still takes photos. The camera has not been dropped or abused in any way.*Could this be a software/firmware glitch that can be reset, or is it something requiring an expert?*If anyone has encountered a similar problem, or can think of a remedy, I would love to hear from you. Unfortunately, both the camera and my father are in Australia, while I am in Philadelphia, so trying to assist him has been challenging.**Thanks in advance!
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2005, 7:30 PM   #2

I don't know of anything the user can do to make the LCD behave in this fashion (mind you, users can be quite innovative at times -- I do quite a bit of computer maintenance, so I know...)

If it's almost out of warranty, I'd have it back to Panasonic Service (or the supplying dealer) pronto!
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:37 PM   #3

Thanks Idle - seems like this is an unusual problem. Of course, the problem is confounded by the fact that the camera was bought in the States but is now residing in Australia! Oh well ...

PS: Funny that you should be from Melbourne - my home town! I'm jealous that you are heading into Summer, the weather is colling down up here - yikes!
Old Nov 1, 2005, 9:51 PM   #4

Stymie, Have your Dad try removing the battery and and let the camera sit overnight and then try a different, fully charged battery. Sometimes strange problems go away after the device sits a few hours without any power, or battery inserted!? Worth a try! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:31 AM   #5

Thanks Tiger - that is worth a try. I know he has taken the battery out, but only for a few minutes. No harm in trying overnight!
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:54 AM   #6

Stymie, If removing the power doesn't work have him go into the menu and check the settings for the monitor. Make sure it's not set too high or too low! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 11:23 AM   #7

One other thing to try ..there is a option in the menu to reset to factory defaults.

But LCD screens can be quite flakey.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 1:02 PM   #8

To just add..

Does the regular viewfinder work and show everythign ok, images and the menu? If it does that pretty much narrows it down to a bad LCD display. You then would need to contact Panasonic and get it into a service location.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
AevnsGrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 4:11 PM   #9

Thanks all!I think my dad has already sent the camera in for service, so we will wait and see what the issue is. I do know that the EVF is functioning, suggesting that problem is intrinsic to the LCD. Hopefully it is a loose connection or similar.*I will endeavour to report back when we know the problem.Cheers!*