Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:55 PM   #1

Hey guys do i need to buy pana flash to fit this cam or can i buy anyting. it look standard to me but i dont want to risk it

thanks
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:24 PM   #2

Its non dedicated so any flash with a trigger voltage under 24 volts is fine.

That will include most any flash that is not too old.

But a Sunpak 383 is hard to beat.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 11:01 PM   #3

I bought a great adaptor from Wein. It's called "HSHSBD" (hot shoe to hot shoe safe sync). I primarily bought it b/c you slide it into the hotshoe, and you can put any flash on top of it, above 24 volts/or under, and it will safely trigger the flash (apparently with these digicams you can't use the old flashes b/c they send a voltage above 24 volts which will fry them). It also has a handy pc plug in so I can trigger my strobes. I bring this up only if you have an old flash in the closet, or you have an offer to buy a flash really cheap but the voltage is above 24, then get this wein adaptor. Otherwise, I agree with genece (one of the "greats" here in this forum - he always speaks his mind, which makes him a real "mench" in my opinion) The Sunpack 383. It is cheap and it is good. Honestly, I just threw the Panasonic flash in FL-28 (I believe) and it works flawlessly, but I think it is more money. It is smaller, if that is an issue for you. If you are interested I would be happy to post some pics with the FL-28. I do have a 383, somewhere, I would be happy to find it and take some test pics, also, if you wish. You can also PM me, I don't mind, at all. Good luck with your purchase!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 7:33 PM   #4
jcr

Hi Nancy,

In your opinion does the Pana FL-28 have any advantage over Sunpack 383, can you enumerate ? and dis-advantage ? Why did you prefer the pana if you already have the 383 ?

To me the i think that stofen soft box is not compatible with the pana, can You confirm that ? any alternative ?

Price's are quite similar here in Europe (at least were I see them...there are so few online sites to search for them here and no conventional stores at all with this kind of stuff :sad. I do have a Sunpak 422 (for canon) very similar to 383 and used it on the FZ20, but it's very used, and going to buy a new one, my best choices are theFL-28 and 383, to match my new FZ30 that just arrived today . Please give me an advice as You have both.

jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:00 AM   #5

The 383 is bigger, significantly. I believe it has a higher guide #, as well. It feels more professional. The 28 is plasticky and small, but works fine. Also the 383 is more adjustable. If I am not mistaken (don't have the flash here, I'm at the office) the FL-28 only lets you set 2 possible apertures in the auto mode. I must say, I took the FL28 out over the 383 b/c of the size. I am sure though, that the 383 is a better flash (better made, more features etc.). Will you notice this in your photos, probably not. The pro of the fl28 is the fact that the head bounces into the negative for macro photography. Haven't used it yet, but I thought it was a good idea on Panasonic's part. Good luck with your purchase, hope this helped.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 5:21 PM   #6
jcr

Yes it did, thanks again Nancy
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 6:53 AM   #7

I'd like to know some ways to set up my Nikon SB-25 to work best with my FZ-20.

On my Nikon it was all automatic. I think there is a way to get almost automatic with a non-dedicated but am not sure now to set it up

I don't know a lot about flash.

I'm interested in bounce, fill, and some macro.

Any help appreciated - Thanks!
rickyc is offline   Reply With Quote