Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 5, 2005, 11:16 PM   #11

Thanks for all of the input. I really appreciate it. Glad to learn more so I can make the decision of which to order.

thanks again and best wishes. O
oberjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:31 AM   #12

oberjager wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the input on the two cameras. Without seeing both cameras, it is hard to decide. I have seen the 20 but not the 30.

Wondered if the larger lense of the 20 would be of any benefit especially in low light over the lense on the 30.

What is the source for the remote control or remote shutter release for the cameras?

Yes, the price difference is significant, but would like to get the best camera that is available now.

I can use photoshop and other programs and enjoy manipulating photos.

My most desired use will be on a tripod taking photos of wildlife in early morning or late evening.

Thanks for the help!
the FZ20 lens is a little bit faster at max zoom, f2.8 across the range, while the FZ30 slows down a bit to f3.7 at full zoom. that'd be the only thing that would give the '20 an edge (though a very slight one) in shutter speeds forlow-light shooting, and using a tripod with longer exposures would pretty much negate that anyway.

i got my remote for the FZ20 here:http://cgi.ebay.com/PHAYEE-remote-as...QQcmdZViewItemcost is $15 USD, plus $4USD flat rate shipping from China. this remote has the half-press focus function, and works perfectly with my FZ20.

the price for the '30 is significantly higher than what you can get a '20 for now, but it isn't all that much more than what an FZ20 cost new a year ago... if i didn't already have the '20, i'd be seriously considerig the '30 myself... i think the jury is still out on whether the '30 actuallyoffers any improvement in image quality over the '20, but it has enough other advanced featuers that many folks find it worth the extra price anyway.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:36 PM   #13

Thanks again for the help. I have decided to order a 30 tomorrow. It appears that Butterfly photo has the best deal.

What about the extended warranty?? I have read some posts and it appears that most think it a waste of money. However, I will be using this for mostly outdoor photography and am concerned about damage especially from moisture. Opinions?

Thanks again, O
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:54 PM   #14

I don't think damage from moisture would be covered under the normal or extended warranty!? Seems like either, (factory or extended), will only cover "defect in materials or workmanship". IMO either of which would or should become apparent within the one year factory warranty. That's my theory and the reason I normally don't buy the extended warranty. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:22 PM   #15

oberjager wrote:
Quote:
What about the extended warranty?? I have read some posts and it appears that most think it a waste of money. However, I will be using this for mostly outdoor photography and am concerned about damage especially from moisture. Opinions?
For peace of mind I bought a floater policy to my home owners policy that covers the camera andfor lost and any damage. Not expensive.

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:25 PM   #16

oberjager wrote:
Quote:
Can a remote control be used with either camera?

Thanks, O
Both operating manuals for the 30 and 20 list DMW-RS1 Remote shutter as the accessory.

So my wireless and wired remote works on both cameras!

Stan

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:34 PM   #17

Thanks again for all of the great helpful information. I ordered the camera outfit from Butterfly photo today and just checked the tracking which shows the camera will be delivered tomorrow. Yahoo!:-)

When I called Butterfly, the salesman and I were discussing the camera, accessories, and the extended warranties. He talked in circles doing the sales-pitch which was irritating so I told him that when I first called I knew what to order but now he had me so confused that I would not order today and may order elsewhere.:P That hit a nerve! He did not want me to hang up and offered to throw in a complete set of filters for free. I hesitated. :blah: He then offered to upgrade the standard card to a high speed card for half price. I hesitated. :blah: He then offered a four year extended warranty for half price. I agreed and bought the camera.:G

Now, I need to find a source for that Panasonic Remote, an extra high capacity internal battery, Kata Cover, and a super rugged case for wilderness and wildlife photography.:|

best wishes, O
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:49 PM   #18

Stan - I searched and learned that the Panasonic DMW-RS1 Remote Shutter is nice, but not cordless. Do you have the part number for the cordless model?

I am just a bit excited 8) and would like to find it and order it tonight if possible :sleep: before bed.

Thanks again and best wishes. O :bye:
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:46 AM   #19

Oberjager, you rule. Good sense of humor, I enjoyed reading your posts on this topic and I assure you, you have made agood sound choice in the FZ 30. I'm not bragging, just pointing, but look at my last posts, where I shot a big horn sheep. That my friend, is the FZ 30 doing what it is designed to do. (you say you want to shoot wildlife) I too love shooting wildlife, and I got better bird and big game shots the first time I went out with the 30 than in three years of shooting with my old 5 MP minolta 7i...I realize I've said this all before, but man, you will love this camera. Happy trails,

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:28 AM   #20

Hi KD: Thanks for your reply. Wow, great photos of the sheep!!! I enjoyed reading your comments too - especially of how you should not give away your secrets about getting those shots. Just let everyone think that you climbed and scrambled to get those shots.

I would love to visit Alberta someday soon. Would love to do some photography and hunting there.

The FZ30 should arrive this afternoon and I am eager.

best wishes, O