Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:38 PM   #1

Hello to the experts on this board. I am new to this board and cannot find the specific information that I am seeking.

I have read the online reviews and looked at the specs. I have looked at the FZ20 in person. Since I cannot find a store where I can look at both cameras, please compare and contrast the FZ20 and FZ30. I cannot decide which will be better for my use which is primarily outdoor and wildlife photography. I understand the basic difference regarding the mp ratings and can understand info that I am told about the features.

Please provide your opinions. Thanks and best wishes!
oberjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2005, 1:24 PM   #2

Can a remote control be used with either camera?

Thanks, O
Old Nov 3, 2005, 2:19 PM   #3

For what it's worth I had the FZ20 before upgrading to the FZ30. Both are super for outstanding pictures and ease of use. After using both I have to give the edge to the FZ30. I find it more versatile with it's manual zoom and high speed focus. I also like the higer resolution in the EVF and LCD. The shutter lag has been all but eliminated and the startup time is about 1 sec. The new battery can be found with higher mAh ratings resulting in longer use time. I also like being able to select the aperture and shutter speed settings with a dial selecter. Being able to select 8mp, 5mp and 3mp formats and get 15x and 19x optical zoom with the lower mp formats is very nice. I find I can print larger pictures and not lose quality. These are but a few of the reasons I like the FZ30 over the FZ20. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 3:54 PM   #4

oberjager wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, O
you can definitely use a remote release with the FZ20, and i'm sure with the '30 as well.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 5:04 PM   #5

If the price difference is OK by you get the FZ30 ..it is a better camera ,not that the FZ20 is not a good camera but the FZ30 addressed almost everything we did not like about the FZ20.

And a remote works on either camera.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 2:09 AM   #6

Browse, browse, browse...you will find this topic has elicited volumes and volumes already in the Panasonic forum. My opinion is a solid vote in favor of the FZ 30. I say this knowing the 20 is very nice, but I agree with the rest of those who advise that the 30 takes the goodness of the 20 and adds more of the same type of useful options.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:38 PM   #7

I only have FZ20 and you ll see I can use it fine:
http://digilander.libero.it/peribsen/indice.htm

No doubt that FZ30 is better and worth the price:
I have downloaded some full size images.

The 100% 8MP images from the only slightly bigger CCD of FZ30 are, as out of the camera, more dirty than those of FZ20 (which are by no way clean, if compared to small compact or to dSLR).

Now when you resize or simply view a 8Mp image to screen size, the noise mostly disappears and the higher detail of FZ30 images is visible compared to any 5Mp photo.

Although not perfect (I like Canon colors more) it has really a bunch of improvements over the FZ20.
I will but the FZ40 when out (hoping it ll be a 9Mp cam on a way bigger CCD), but if I was you and you cant wait nearly one more year, I would have no hesitation for the FZ30.

These cameras will give you GREAT satisfaction, provided you are not one of those who's paranoid about noise in full 8Mp images and who are not able or not willing to use Photoshop.

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 2:11 PM   #8

Go to the first page of the "Topics" and check out "FZ30 WOW". It pretty much says what we have been suggesting to you! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:40 PM   #9

Thanks for the input on the two cameras. Without seeing both cameras, it is hard to decide. I have seen the 20 but not the 30.

Wondered if the larger lense of the 20 would be of any benefit especially in low light over the lense on the 30.

What is the source for the remote control or remote shutter release for the cameras?

Yes, the price difference is significant, but would like to get the best camera that is available now.

I can use photoshop and other programs and enjoy manipulating photos.

My most desired use will be on a tripod taking photos of wildlife in early morning or late evening.

Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:47 AM   #10

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
oberjager wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, O
you can definitely use a remote release with the FZ20, and i'm sure with the '30 as well.

30 takes remote as well
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote