Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 3, 2005, 3:03 PM   #1

Luminous Lanscape's Michael Rickhman has posted his field report on his LX1 with some sample shots. You can read it here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...eras/lx1.shtml

A few tid bits from the report:

"But since the LX-1 can shoot in RAW mode the photographer can apply appropriate noise reduction strategies in post processing, in which case the LX1 doesn't suffer anywhere near as much as it does by comparison with its peers when shooting JPG."

"If you're looking for a serious camera of this size, that requires you to expend some additional effort in post processing, yet rewards with portfolio grade image quality, the Panasonic LX-1will not disappoint."

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2005, 5:24 PM   #2

DCRESOURCE has the LX1 review up and on line:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml
Old Nov 3, 2005, 8:05 PM   #3

Tnks for the heads up!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 7:48 AM   #4

HarjTT, That looks to be a great little cam. Shoot in RAW and the results are said to be A1 !! Do you think that this will be the one to finnally tempt you ? The range of that lens is great for the large part of most needs. I like the BLACK one !!!!...........Charles
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:56 PM   #5

Guys

I liked the review because he didnt attempt to go over ground thats already been covered but to show whether this is a usable tool and from what he says there is only a wee bit of work needed to get some of the best shots from a pocket cam out there. Wish he'd posted a few more shots and the report was a wee bit longer. Also, Pana should have waited till they had shipped some really good RAW software for both the FZ30 & LX1 but I also think that the reviewers esp dcresource review should have looked at the quality of the image from RAW as well as jpegs - its clear that this cam in RAW does rock.

On a personal note my only real gripe is the lack of a viewfinder - to me its essential, I just cant shoot with the LCD only and for that reason I'd be giving the LX1 a miss. I think they also should have added a thread to accept filters. I do however, prefer the look of the leica version - it does look better than the LX1 but its only available in silver.

HarjTT

:G :?
Attached Images

Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:14 PM   #6

heres a wee bit more from the actual trip to China on Luminious Landscape:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...-the-bag.shtml

Quote:
"I used it for snapshots as well as a bit of urban shooting and landscape work, and it quickly became a favourite. After seeing it in use at least half the members of our expedition decided to buy one once they got home. It's that appealing.
Noisy? Yes. As reported by DPReview, it's noisy. But, so what? A run though a noise reduction plug-in such as Noise Ninja makes that a non-issue, and frankly the current fixation by many photographers with noise, any noise, is a distraction from the real job of capturing images with the most versatile tools available."

Now that shoudl kick the noise issue into touch.

HarjTT

:?

Old Nov 4, 2005, 7:36 PM   #7

Harj I like the Leica version better it looks cool cool, I think you can work with the LCD with practice.
They kept the body so compact and the LCD so large they don't have space for an Optical VF. they could have put an accessories shoe on the top of the body (aka) the old Leica rangefinders so an optional optical VF could be mounted. however.....
I think they wanted to keep the simplicty and cleaness of the design so they made a design choice so the LX1 is as it is .... very nice cam.

John
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:54 AM   #8

its a verry unique camera. It does return some outstanding shots!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote