Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:01 PM   #1

I just got my FZ30 delivered the other day. WOW, that is all I can say. I chose this over the new NIKON offering which has supposedly been discontinued. The FZ30 was recommended on this board and I himmed and hawed for weeks, I did my homework. Box arrived and WOW, that is all I can say. What a different experience from my Nikon coolpix from 3 years ago. WOW. First off, I am an amateur by every definition of the word. This camera makes me look like a pro. I will post some pictures next week. But, I will describe them for you. I took my 7 year old to his first Kentucky basketball game the other night at Rupp arena. Anyone hwo knows Rupp in Lexington Kentucky, knows it seats around 23000. We were in row 0 in the upper deck. Row o, my nose was bleeding and I had to give the pretty blond next to me mouth to mouth (jokin of course). Wre were 10 rows from the top, in the cheap seast (yeah, sheap 44 bucks cheap),T:|he shots I got with the zoom were stupendous. I simply set the sucker to sports, picked my subject and shot away. I didn't know what to expect until I loaded them on my laptop around midnite. WOW, wait til you see what this freaking camera can do. I am in love, with the camera, not the blond!:blah:
nsclcctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:14 PM   #2

Well, post some pics already!
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:27 PM   #3

There are better cameras than FZ30, but they cost more and are dSLR.

There are cheaper cameras than FZ30, but they offer less functions.

There are less noisy cameras than FZ30, but who cares: I am way too deaf to hear it.

If you are a good Photoshop player the limits of FZ30 will nearly disappear, and your pics will look very similar to professional cameras ones (independently from the personal skill of the photographer).

I think Ihave mastered my FZ20 after 9 months I have it, and now my sleep is tormented: I am starting to dream about FZ40...

Francesco
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:50 AM   #4

I no what you mean mate i just got my fz30 about a wek ago i havent had a good day to go out and play but just with my round the house shots the cam is awesome. i love everythig about it. Im so glad i went for the 30 over the 20 :-)
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:46 AM   #5

OK...I am half dead and really, really...tired. I just crawled in the door, got a quiclk look at my shots and will post one for now, more later.For me, this is what puts W O W in the FZ 30. Wow...finally I can get these shots without risking my life and limb because with that BIG 12X zoom and the new Panasonic 1.7X tele I just bought for it, I went out and bagged this shot and a lot more like it. See that look? He K N O W S even an old fart like me can't be caught from that distance. So he just gives me the hairy eyeball, and lets me shoot my shot. Yes folks, this is truly (for me) justification for the WoW. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 4:10 PM   #6

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
I think Ihave mastered my FZ20 after 9 months I have it, and now my sleep is tormented: I am starting to dream about FZ40...

Francesco

I spoke to a men who works by Panasonic (The Netherlands)and he said to me that Panasonic is going to be a player on the SLR market, so maybe there isn't going te be a FZ40, but a SLR.

Hmm, those big lenses

MulderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:03 PM   #7

Yes I had heard about that.
But I don't know if this will prevente them from projecting a follower to the FZ30.

After all Nikon has both D50-100 and CP 8800
and Canon had EOD 1-350D and... Pro 1, S2.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:34 PM   #8
jcr

Yes, I have that kind of information too, but FZ line is not going to disappear, they will co-exist, as well as other Pana lines, there are other models you know...mainly we talk here on this forum about FZ line, just because their owners are more demanding...I gess...
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:17 AM   #9

Here is an idea to circumvent the high zoom =tiny sensor = high noise dilemma. Why not create a version of the FZ30 as an8MP camera with a 2/3 sensor or larger, and an 8x zoom which can be brought up to a 12x zoomat 5 MP and 15x zoomat 3MP. I could live with that compromise. And one can always buy a teleconverter for the rare occasion that one really needs to take a 12x shot at the full 8MP resolution. This should not change the dimensions of the camera too drastically and would really eliminate the need for an SLR. And here is another innovative thought. Couldn't Panasonic, the company whichintroduced affordable 3 CCD camcorders to the masses, integrate that same technology in a digital still camera? Since the Fovean chip doesn't seem to go anywhere, would this not be a viable technology to closely mimic true film emulsion? Just theorizing.....
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote