Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:00 PM   #1

Hi, I've been trying to get some digipics of dogs romping around, and my old CoolPix 950 is hopeless for that. I want a digicam with a decent zoom range, fast AF, and fast metering and recording. This would be mostly outdoors in moderate sunlight or overcast conditions. I've read a few online reviews, but as you probably know the conclusions range from the FZs being the best bargain around to lousy doorstops.

While the CP950 has the halfway trigger set to lock in AF and exposure, the delays between off to half and then half to full press are such that the subjects have moved to different distances and often are moving at a rate such that the previous shutter speed isn't fast enough (I've got dozens of pics of a white/brown blur with a shiny wet black nose on it!).

I've read thru the Panasonic forum here, and it sounds like some folks are shooting indoor and outdoor sports. I hope to hear from folks using the FZs for action shots, particularly at the wide end of the zoom range and with the point of focus being 10-30 ft away (thus not allowing an infinity focus).

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

DPtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2005, 3:56 AM   #2

I am still relatively new to the FZ30, but have also used th FZ20 for a year. I hope some of my experiences can help.

It all depends on light. You will only get crystal clear shots in bright light. If you getthe focus right the shots nearly always come out focused.

Here is an example of not great light with FZ30. Sharpness and NR set to low. I discovered don't use prefocus for some reason it always missed that day. IT was morning with alternating sun and cloud. And having the animal come towards you had high speed means it becomes out of focus quickly as it closes. If the animal is relatively stationary Focus is usually good.

An Alternative is get a big flash, that usually always works Indoors or outdoors as long as you are with in the flashes range.

Fz30 has more features than FZ5 although more expensive. I have big hands so the FZ30 feels better and manual zoom means you can zoom in and out quicker than the other FZ's. This sort ofphotography is best done with a DSLR but cost is prohibitive. So it is a matter of do the best with the tool at hand.

My 2 Cents

Allan

Dassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:10 AM   #3

That is a great example...the FZ10 and 20 were not real great at a shot like that( and thats why everyone prefocused first) but the FZ30 is much better.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 9:16 AM   #4

considering the circumstances, that's a very good shot. did you manually focus on the barrier first, knowing the horse and rider would be there soon, or did you wait and let tha AF focus the shot as the horse was jumping?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 3:37 PM   #5

Hi all

Thanks for the comments on the picture. However i still believe the camera (i.e. the photographer) can do much better. I focused on the barrier just using center high speed. The horse and rider were all over the arena so manual anything became a pain. And that is one fast little horse ) in the picture the Bar looks focused but the horse looks fuzzy. In good sun light things are much better. I tried a grey card but the Sun kept getting hidden behind cloud, so used auto WB.

Only a few of the panning shots of the horse at full gallop came out. This is where the annoying screen freeze is a problem, but i am learning to deal with it. This is only the 3rd time I took the camera out to take pictures.

The exif data for that pic.

Manufacturer:Panasonic
CameraMC-FZ30
Date:06.11.2005 08:52:34
Aperture:f 5.6
ISO:80
Shutter speed:1/320 s
EV±0,00 EV
Program:P - Programmed auto
Metering mode:Multisegment
Flash:Not fired, Compulsory flash light
White balance:Automatic
Zoom:11.1 mm Real
Resolution:3264 x 2448 Pixel (Fine)
Picture density:72 x 72 dpi
Compression:4.0:1
Macro mode:Off
File size:2538111 Bytes
Flash::Not fired, Compulsory flash light
Orientation:0° / Z:Top S:left
Date last Modification:06.11.2005 08:52:34
YCbCr Positioning:Zero point
EXIF Version:V 2.20
Date Digitized:06.11.2005 08:52:34
FlashPix Version:V 1.00
CCD Sensor Type:1 chip colour CCD
Max aperture value:3.00
File sourceSC
Custom rendered:Custom process
Exposure mode I:Auto exposure
White balance I:Auto white balance
Digital zoom ratio:0.00x Zoom
35mm Focal length:53 mm
Scene capture type:Standard
Contrast:Normal
Saturation:Normal
Sharpness:Soft
Image Quality:Fine
Version:01016
White Balance II:Auto
Focus Mode:Auto focus (AF)
Picture stabilisation:Mode 2
Macro Mode II:Off
Exposure Mode II:Automatic
Color Mode II:Off

Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:03 PM   #6

DPtoo, I've found the FZ30 is fast enough to grab an airplane moving at over 200 mph so don't think the dogs would be a problem! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:29 PM   #7

Allan, nice pic. I notice in your exif data that ISO was 80; any reason you didn't crank that up to 200 or 400 for action shots? I know the consensus is that 400 is noisy, but with post-processing maybe not a huge problem.

Jim, excellent pic also. The last airshow I went to, I brought my Coolpix 950 and my old SLR with short and long zooms, with 100 ISO Ektachrome. On the action shots the film camera did vastly better than the digicam. Hopefully digicams have caught up in that respect.
DPtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:58 PM   #8

yeah, having the EVF freeze up when you press the shutter is really annoying. if you're like me, you shoot pan shots in continuous mode as you track the subject, but when the viewfinder goes black as soon as you take the first shot, it's damned hard to track the target properly... i wish Panasonic had put that on their list of fixes! if they had, i'd be in line for an FZ30 now!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 3:48 PM   #9

Hi DPtoo

I actually did not think to change it I left it at 80 as that was what i did with my FZ20 to reduce noise, but i think in low light a noisy picture is much better than no picture at all. I must try a few higher ISO shots. Anyone have any luck with Auto ISO?

And is the Auto ISO like the FZ20 where you can get ISO setting you cant get manually?

And that is a excellent picture of a plane Tiger98. They had air shows where I live but at the time there was so much smog that everything looked like it had a ND8 filter on.

Allan
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:18 AM   #10

Thanks Dassie! Regarding your question on using auto iso with the FZ30, I have had mine set on auto since I got it, and have taken over 2500 pictures with it that way and have no complaints! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote