Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 6, 2005, 1:05 AM   #1

As you can see the FZ 30 with the tele converter really caught the eye of this big fella. I took a trip out to the boonies today and as I said in another post, I would post whatever I shot with the new Panasonic 1.7 tele add on. I am too beat to do more than just browse thru all the shots, but just can't help posting at least one right away, tonight. I've already told you and anyone within earshot how much I love this camera, so just take a gander at this and this will tell you what I love about their 1.7X add on. I could never have bagged a shot like this before, unless I were willing to risk life and limb. (well, obviously I'm still here...so this is a first for me) I had one outstanding bit of fun today! Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2005, 1:57 AM   #2

I think he's hammin' it up now...
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:16 AM   #3

nice shot, Ken! is that a wild bighorn, or were you trippin' a local zoo? i noticed that was shot at 1/30 sec... did you use a tripod or monopod to steady it? if you got that handheld at that speed, with full 12x zoom AND a TCON on the cam, you're a helluva lot steadier than i am!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:47 AM   #4

I was laughing to myself after I posted because we were musing about candids, in another post, and when to shoot when people are preoccupied etc, I should have titled this one..."check out the rack...."

This guy was head honcho of a small herd...er...flock...or whatever their group is called up in the mountains not far from Radium Hot springs, (Alberta, Canada) They build fences and barriers to keep them away from the highway, and there in the left if you look you can see where I cloned out a few squares of wire fence, which was at odds with the natural background. I have a small cabin in the boonies about a half hour from there. Handheld, with the stabilization on, on one knee, elbow on knee, shot in burst. I was really lucky actually, I'll post a couple more, one facing away from any light, with a flash, and you'd never guess I shot in the same planet, let alone same place. But I am doing cartwheels just because a few turned out this good. Lots of wildlife this trip, but hard to get at times. I just missed a couple female elk crossing a wide river. Would have been a fabulous shot but couldn't get close enough in time. (even with the big optics) Best regards,

KennethD
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:50 AM   #5

geee mate that is so mch zoom im stil getting over how much to 30 has in stock trim

nice shots
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 11:14 AM   #6

Really nice photos from a really nice camera.....good job

Maybe Canada has something to do with the Photos

From a FZ20 along the Icefield Parkway near Jasper
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 1:50 PM   #7

Great shots Kenneth! More impressive is that it was handheld! However I'm never surprised when I see a super shot taken with that camera! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 1:52 PM   #8

Genece, That's a another great shot! You guys sure know where to find those big 'horny' sheep ! :-) Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 3:29 PM   #9

Of course, it's always good for the image to let the viewer assume you were out trekking all day, scaling vertical rock faces, and tippy toeing and crawling on your belly and gently parting the foliage to sneak a close up shot like these. Naturally, that's how I always get these shots and it's why I'm so exhausted when I get back home. (nudge nudge wink wink...) But we are blessed by the nature of these gorgeous beasts. If you get lucky, you will see them on the Trans Canada highway in Radium, just off the side of the road, and they traverse up and down the mountain rocks like we'd cross the street. They do all the work, I wander out of the car and find a safe spot to shoot, and the Panasonic does the rest. Yes, there IS a certain amount of caution and protocol to observe because with nothing but air between you and the beast, you must know what you can and cannot do if you'd like to remain in one piece. They can be owly this time of year. (Even tho I'd never chase one of his babes in my rubber boots...ever!) In radium, they sometimes wander up and down the main drag and you can get some great pics once in a while. That's not to say you C A N ' T do it the hard way. Climb the first ridge of mountainous terrain, hike down the valley and up the far side, and you can get these shots that way too. At 58, guess which method I usually use? Happy trails...

KennethD
Old Nov 7, 2005, 1:45 AM   #10

The big guy just chillin'...