Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:52 PM   #11

I sent an email to them and asked

Quote:
What is the difference in the Pro1 D UV filter and the Super Pro1 UV filter ?

and here is their reply.

Quote:
Hi
There is not a pro-1d UV only a protector which is totaly clear protector filter where as the pro-1 UV is just that a Uv filtration filter so has a slight filtration effect.
Some photographers prefer to use photoshop and white balance adjustments to filter out the UV effect hence the protector filter.
Hope this helps
Yours
Wokingham Photographic
Hoya Online UK
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:10 PM   #12

genece wrote:
Quote:
I sent an email to them and asked

Quote:
What is the difference in the Pro1 D UV filter and the Super Pro1 UV filter ?

and here is their reply.

Quote:
Hi
There is not a pro-1d UV only a protector which is totaly clear protector filter where as the pro-1 UV is just that a Uv filtration filter so has a slight filtration effect.
Some photographers prefer to use photoshop and white balance adjustments to filter out the UV effect hence the protector filter.
Hope this helps
Yours
Wokingham Photographic
Hoya Online UK
Could you help me with this English? "There is not a pro-1d UV only which is totally clear filter." JABAWALKYThe PRO-1 Digital UV filter is just a UV filtration filter so has a slight flirtation effect. Some photographers prefer blah blah hence the protector filter. Well that was clear as mud. What I have been tryingto tell you for months is a UV with one coating on each side performs as good as any other UV with multiple coatings costing whatever. This wonder has painted glass edges and a special coating on the metal to reduce glare, brand differentiation marketing 101. I got to get me one of those. When you look out the front window of a Ford it gives you a worse view then Cadillac.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:11 PM   #13

Gene

Thanks for posting the reply and now we know what the difference between the two are.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Could you help me with this English? "There is not a pro-1d UV only which is totally clear filter." JABAWALKYThe PRO-1 Digital UV filter is just a UV filtration filter so has a slight flirtation effect. Some photographers prefer blah blah hence the protector filter. Well that was clear as mud. What I have been tryingto tell you for months is a UV with one coating on each side performs as good as any other UV with multiple coatings costing whatever. This wonder has painted glass edges and a special coating on the metal to reduce glare, brand differentiation marketing 101. I got to get me one of those. When you look out the front window of a Ford it gives you a worse view then Cadillac.

Lovelife I understand your belief but if your theory were valid a pair of $50.00 binoculars would have the same amount of coatings as a $1000.00 pair ..all good optics that I am familiar with use multicoatings and the more expensive the optics the more coatings.

While you may be correct I see no problem in spending an extra $20.00 to get muticoatings ..it certainly hurts nothing and it is suppose to help.

Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:03 PM   #15

genece wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lovelife I understand your belief but if your theory were valid a pair of $50.00 binoculars would have the same amount of coatings as a $1000.00 pair ..all good optics that I am familiar with use multicoatings and the more expensive the optics the more coatings.

While you may be correct I see no problem in spending an extra $20.00 to get muticoatings ..it certainly hurts nothing and it is suppose to help.

Yes but the binoculars have the multiple coating on multiple elements and your example excludes the other factors which make one cost $50 and the other cost $1000, like OIS. Here we are talking about one piece of optical glass with two coatings which produce 95% light transmission vs. 3 coatings 0f 97% vs. 5 coating or more of 99%. These differences are not straight math applied to F-stop but are part of a formula, which I do not care to remember. Ching-Kuang Shene can give you the formula. The net effect in F-stops is less then .25. Now remember we are discussing a UV which does not change the picture quality so what we are discussing is which filter does less then nothing. BTW you did not explain the Hoya quote.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:10 PM   #16

Heck I do not understand the Hoya quote ..I guess the web site is wrong and they do not have the lens on the page that was posted.

That was all that was in the Email ..I did not leave out anything.

I will use Multi-coated filters and you use single coat ...OK?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 7:45 PM   #17

I got a big hoot out of this one.

B+W ad.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 3:41 AM   #18

Thanks genece.

Contradicting to his reply that there is no Pro-1D UV, I found another seller http://www.photofilter.comwhich sells Pro-1 UV, Pro-1D UV and Pro-1 Clear Protector. There, the Pro-1 UV is the more expensive than Pro-1D (Pro-1 Clear Protector is the cheapest).

http://www.photofilter.com/hoya_pro_...al_filters.htm

I couldn't find their email address. There is only their toll-free number on the website and since I'm not in US, I can't call them to ask.

skyrocketfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 8:40 AM   #19

Here is their Email address

[email protected]

And I guess you saw their discription of the digital version.

New from Hoya.The New Pro 1 Digital Filter series.
After comparing the new Digital Pro 1 series rings with the current Pro 1 filters rings the new almite coating on the rings is superb. The new rings also have a much easier to use knurling on the ring, the new ring makes the filter much easier to mount and adjust. The finish is an anti reflective black matte. The new digital multi-coating is very impressive. I took a clear protector and placed it on a laser printed page. The area which is covered by the filter was easier to read than the non covered area. The letters appear to have more contrast, due to the decreased reflection and glare off the paper surface. Hoya did a great job on these filters; they far exceeded what I expected when the new line was announced.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:31 AM   #20

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
skyrocketfw wrote:
Quote:
What is the difference between Hoya Pro1 S-HMC UV and the new Hoya Pro1 Digital S-HMC UV? Which one work better on FZ30?

Thanks.
Money is the difference. The Hoya dual coated standard UV will produce the same results. No results their function is transparency.
LoveLife - on my monitor your respones / posts show up almost illegible, a very pale aqua. I have to highlight them to see what you have typed!
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote