Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:09 PM   #1

Her are some more pictures of the air show this weekend. The wing walker is a pretty blond women.....she's mighty brave....... I noticed that alot of my pictures this weekend were dark on the corners...Why??? I shot most of the pictures in aperture mode 2.8 to 3.3..iso 100....mostly 3.3 because I had to zoom as the planes were not as close as I wanted them to be. I used a Hoya circular polarizer as I was on the beach( the planes flew over the water)....in the middle of the day with some of the pictures and my shutter speeds were fairly fast 1/1000. I have cropped te corners out in these pictures, but it was very noticable. Wasit because of the polarizar at 12x? or what????
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:11 PM   #2

Here's another picture......I was lucky to be able to crop out the corners......
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:12 PM   #3

Here's another.....more pictures can be seen at http://bentleysmom.smugmug.com
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:13 PM   #4

last one........
Old Nov 8, 2005, 4:36 PM   #5

GREAT SHOTS. Wouldn't fancy that job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder when they bring around the drinks trolley, probably need a drink after that:?
stevetracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:20 PM   #6

BMLove the shots - you captured themÂ* very well, the exposure looks spot on and the pics look nice and sharp. Pretty impressive at 12x zoom and hand held.Regards the vignetting I'm not sure if the polariser alone would cause it - I've never really had any problems with my FZ10 and filters. What kind of adapter are you using with your FZ and did you have a lens hood attached?Â*Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:30 PM   #7

bentleysmom wrote:
Quote:
Her are some more pictures of the air show this weekend. The wing walker is a pretty blond women.....she's mighty brave....... I noticed that alot of my pictures this weekend were dark on the corners...Why??? I shot most of the pictures in aperture mode 2.8 to 3.3..iso 100....mostly 3.3 because I had to zoom as the planes were not as close as I wanted them to be. I used a Hoya circular polarizer as I was on the beach( the planes flew over the water)....in the middle of the day with some of the pictures and my shutter speeds were fairly fast 1/1000. I have cropped te corners out in these pictures, but it was very noticable. Wasit because of the polarizar at 12x? or what????
Vignetting at 2.8 – 3.3 this is interesting. If vignetting were to occur it would be at this F-stop range but at wide-angle not at full zoom. What adapter were you using and were you stacking filters with a lens hood? Putting that aside your shots are wonderful. This will occur with certain add-on lenses but you did not indicate any.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 12:18 AM   #8

Nice photos, 'Mom... good exposure, excellent color and clarity. your shutter speeds weren't as fast as you thought - these range from 1/320 to 1/640 - fast enough to stop the action, but not enough to freeze the propeller blades, which always makes aircraft photos look silly.

as to the vignetting or shadows in the corners, like Lovelife said, you'd normally only get that at wide angle settings, not full telephoto, and even then only if you had a lens hoodor a very thick filter ring (or two) that extended well past the lens. just a polarizing filter alonewon't do it. since these appear to have all been taken at or near full zoom (66-72mm focal lengths, 11-12x) the filter(s) should not have caused the problem. did you have a lens hood on the camera? what adapter are you using to attach filters to your FZ5?the only times i've ever gotten that problem with my FZ20 were when i had a fairly deep hood on, and inadvertently backed off the zoom to something under 6x or so. at 12x, even a deep lens hood won't cause vignetting. were you using any kind of teleconverter? some models will cause softening or a slight shading in the corners.

PM me with one or two of the offending shots, and i'll see if i can tell anything from the images...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:26 AM   #9

Nice clear shots! Question did the wing walker climb from the bottom wing to the top wing while in flight or did you photograph two different flights? The first few shots show her on bottom wing and last picture has her on top wing!? Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:52 AM   #10

Silly people, climb out of an airplane in flight.:-) Very nice sequence of shots.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote