Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:54 AM   #1

Does anyone have any clue when Steve will post his review on the FZ30? Just curious if he will have any different take than dpreview or dcresource. Steve, are you reading this? I appreciate all your good work, but the review on the FZ30 is way overdue....
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:36 PM   #2

Give Steve a break I'm willing to bet he is doing the best he can - check this from his news page dated November 6:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html

New Camera Reviews - Progress Update To help eliminate some of the emails that we are getting daily asking about when a specific camera review is going to appear - here is a list of cameras that we are currently working on:
  • Canon EOS 5D and S80, Olympus E-500, Stylus 600, SP-310 and SP-350, Fujifilm S9000 and E900, Panasonic FZ30, FX9 and LX1, Sanyo Xacti E6, Pentax *ist DS2 and Optio S6, Sony R1 and N1, Kodak Easyshare One, P850 and P880. And arriving soon are Nikon Coolpix S4, S3, L1, P1 and P2.
We don't always announce reviews as they are posted so be sure to see the listing near the top of this page or on our home page - we've added new reviews every few days for a while now with lots more coming before Christmas.

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:49 PM   #3

ccallana wrote:
Quote:
Give Steve a break I'm willing to bet he is doing the best he can - check this from his news page dated November 6:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html

[font=arial,helvetica][size=2]New Camera Reviews - Progress Update To help eliminate some of the emails that we are getting daily asking about when a specific camera review is going to appear - here is a list of cameras that we are currently working on:
  • Understood. Not trying to be pushy. It wasjusta widely anticipated camera which now has been available for a couple of months and Steve's opinion isvery important to us. I truly appreciate and thank Steve and everyone else involved in this site for their invaluable service. Thanks for the link to the news brief about the upcoming reviews. I had missed that.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:58 PM   #4

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have any clue when Steve will post his review on the FZ30? Just curious if he will have any different take than dpreview or dcresource. Steve, are you reading this? I appreciate all your good work, but the review on the FZ30 is way overdue....
[align=left]
FZ30 now you do not have to wait buy the FZ20
Conclusion - Pros[/align]
  • Very high resolution and detail capture throughout the zoom range [/*]
  • Sharp results [/*]
  • Good, natural color [/*]
  • Superb 12x optical zoom [/*]
  • Effective image stabilization [/*]
  • Excellent handling - much improved over the FZ20 [/*]
  • Comprehensive range of controls and improved control layout [/*]
  • Very fast operation [/*]
  • Well designed menu system [/*]
  • Nice handling and control layout [/*]
  • Easy to use [/*]
  • Excellent screen [/*]
  • Very usable EVF [/*]
  • Autofocus illuminator [/*]
  • Powerful flash [/*]
  • Good battery life [/*]
  • Program shift [/*]
  • TIFF & RAW modes [/*]
  • Improved movie modes [/*]
  • Fast startup, fast focus
[/*]
[align=left]
Conclusion - Cons[/align]
  • Noise is even an issue at ISO 80, a real problem at ISO 400 or in very low light [/*]
  • Very occasional exposure problems [/*]
  • Max aperture at long end of zoom only F3.7 [/*]
  • Limited dynamic range, highlight clipping in JPEGs [/*]
  • Pointless RAW converter produces worse results than JPEGs [/*]
  • Focus at extreme telephoto sometimes hunts, occasionally misses [/*]
  • Images can look a little soft viewed at 100%
[/*]
Overall conclusion
In many ways the FZ30 is everything the FZ20 could (and maybe should) have been, and Panasonic must be applauded for implementing a huge raft of handling and control improvements, as well as speeding up overall performance. On the other hand you cannot help but wonder how much better this camera would be with a less noisy chip - the 7MP Sony CCD used in models such as the SD500 springs to mind (not that Panasonic would be caught dead using a Sony sensor of course!).

On the positive side this is as near as you'll get to a digital SLR with the equivalent image-stabilized lenses, without the cost or bulk, though also without the low light capabilities. Handling and control particularly have been improved almost beyond recognition, and for this alone the FZ30 can be considered a worthwhile upgrade from its predecessor.

But if the FZ30 represents a quantum leap in terms of handling and control it is little more than a tiny step forward in terms of image quality. Yes, there's more detail, but there's also more noise and a less effective image stabilization system. If you want a camera that can beat all the 5MP super zooms (including the FZ20), you'll be happy, but if you actually need the additional pixels to produce larger prints you may well be disappointed - it simply isn't that much better. The one saving grace is that ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) is - with a little tweaking - capable of getting far more out of the FZ30's RAW output than either in-camera JPEGs or RAW files converted using the stunningly useless utility supplied in the box (we have heard rumors that Panasonic is working on a better RAW converter, let's wait and see).

So, in the end this is a camera that improves on its predecessor in almost every aspect, and one that makes most of the current crop of 5MP super zooms look like toys in comparison, but it's also one that is frustratingly disappointing for anyone looking for a significant improvement in image quality over the (admittedly class-leading) FZ20. Buy one for it's handling, control, features and sheer class, but don't buy one if you want much better image quality than an FZ20 in anything but very good light, as you simply won't get it. A stunning camera, but not a perfect one.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 6:26 PM   #5

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
[align=left]
  • Sharp results [/*]
  • Easy to use [/*]
  • Excellent screen [/*]
  • Very usable EVF [/*]
  • Powerful flash [/*]
  • Good battery life [/*]
  • Program shift [/*]
  • TIFF & RAW modes [/*]
[/*]
[align=left]
  • Noise is even an issue at ISO 80, a real problem at ISO 400 or in very low light
[/*]
We will A G R E E to D I S A G R E E on the noise issue, for "real problem" is overstating this issue, especially in the low light area. Due consideration with shutter speeds and tripod use, can make this a non issue almost all of the time. And for me, after using it as much as I have, I have to laugh every time I see this comment. It doesn't exist as a problem for me at all. That's the truth. If it IS a problem for an FZ 30 user, then man, you N E E D a DSLR. If the vast majority of shots you're taking highlight this as a "real problem" I'd love to see what kind of work you do to need shots in such dim light. All the best anyway...

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 6:59 PM   #6

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:

[align=left]
  • Sharp results [/*]
  • Easy to use [/*]
  • Excellent screen [/*]
  • Very usable EVF [/*]
  • Powerful flash [/*]
  • Good battery life [/*]
  • Program shift [/*]
  • TIFF & RAW modes [/*]
[/*]
[align=left]
  • Noise is even an issue at ISO 80, a real problem at ISO 400 or in very low light [/*]
We will A G R E E to D I S A G R E E on the noise issue, for "real problem" is overstating this issue, especially in the low light area. Due consideration with shutter speeds and tripod use, can make this a non issue almost all of the time. And for me, after using it as much as I have, I have to laugh every time I see this comment. It doesn't exist as a problem for me at all. That's the truth. If it IS a problem for an FZ 30 user, then man, you N E E D a DSLR. If the vast majority of shots you're taking highlight this as a "real problem" I'd love to see what kind of work you do to need shots in such dim light. All the best anyway...

KennethD
I just put this hear to see the reaction, It is a published review on DPReview.com. I have a FZ10 and a FZ30 and am more satisfied with the color rendition and sharpness on the 10 and have seen FZ30 noise in the shadows on sunny days. I tried low noise and it is terrible. I get fast but inaccurate focus at long zooms and need to check every shot with the focus ring. I never had to do this on the FZ10. This is my second FZ30 camera the first one had a very blue rendition on sunny days and I would get shutter freeze in spot focus mode. Many people who own the FZ30 get very protective and upset but if you want the truth the camera is a BIG disappointment. I have been struggling with different setting to get what I am looking for and here is my latest selection:

MY FZ30 settings

I use W/B 1-2 clicks to the red in sunlight. I will probably use a custom W/B when I can get the same results.

W/B standard all other times

Sharpness high and the rest standard.

Exposure bias –1/3

Aspect Ratio 3:2 35mm format

Picture size 7MP

Jpeg Quality High

Metering Mode ( )

Auto focus center high and spot on close-ups

Monitor +1

MF assist MF1

OIS mode=2

I shoot aperture priority except for fast action shots then I use shutter priority.

I have the switch on the barrel set to MF and use the button below for focusing. This reduces the half depressed shutter to exposure and locks in the focus when I shift the camera for composition. In long zooms it is necessary to fine-tune with the focus ring. Be careful of vertical linear areas behind your subject in landscape mode, in portrait mode look out for horizontal areas. The focus system locks on this and it ruins many pictures. I have the elastic band of my cap keeper pressing against the focus ring it is too soft and the slightest nudge shifts the focus.

On the FZ10 I had an exposure bias of –1/3 and never had to play with anything else, and concentrated on my captures.

If you want to see my work go to .. http://lovelife.smugmug.com/

These are predominantly Fz10 but there re some FZ30 in the streets of NY.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 7:31 PM   #7

Who knows...? It doesn't sound like we own the same camera. IF I were you and was this troubled, I would return the FZ 30 to the store you purchased it at, and go another route. You know, a different camera. There just might not be a good match here, with you and this camera. Knowing how much I enjoy this hobby with a great deal of credit for this going to the FZ 30, I share your disappointment at not getting everything you'd like from a camera. You obviously are dedicated to this hobby, and deserve to reap reward from your effort. I like the variety of angles you've approached solving this conundrum. Think maybe you might be better off with a DSLR? Best rgerads,

KennethD
Old Nov 10, 2005, 9:14 PM   #8

Wow,

The the defense of this camera ever rest with you? I find what LoveLife has to share has a great deal better weight than what you have had to offer both in knowledge and results.

The FZ camera line does have "noise" and is very poor in low light situations (ie. high school wrestling for one). When the light is good it is definitely one that gets excellent results.

It is good you love your camera but LoveLife makes some very valid points to contend with your point of view. You make jest of it in defense of your choice.I am with LoveLife. I happen to own and use the FZ1v2, FZ10 and the FZ20. The FZ1v2 kicks can period. Obviously, that is my opinion based on using all three quite extensively. I also have a DSLR and a 35mm as well. I don't need a suggestion in getting another camera.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:27 AM   #9

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Wow,

The the defense of this camera ever rest with you? I find what LoveLife has to share has a great deal better weight than what you have had to offer both in knowledge and results.

The FZ camera line does have "noise" and is very poor in low light situations (ie. high school wrestling for one). When the light is good it is definitely one that gets excellent results.

It is good you love your camera but LoveLife makes some very valid points to contend with your point of view. You make jest of it in defense of your choice.I am with LoveLife. I happen to own and use the FZ1v2, FZ10 and the FZ20. The FZ1v2 kicks can period. Obviously, that is my opinion based on using all three quite extensively. I also have a DSLR and a 35mm as well. I don't need a suggestion in getting another camera.

The most obvious solution whenever you have purchased an item, especially a high tech toy like the Pana FZ 30...and you find it to fall short of your expectations, is simplicity itself! RETURN it..or SELL it, and start somewhere else. Where do you see this advice defending the FZ 30? For me...and a ton of other folk who love this instrument, it's a match made in heaven. Man, go argue with your wife, and get off my case. Chill out. Best regards,
Quote:
KennethD
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:33 AM   #10

There is information posted in this thread of a review of the FZ30 "word for word" without reference to its source; until a later post.
I'm sure the intent was to be helpful but there is a statement of ownership posted at the bottom of the first page of the review.

"This article is Copyright 2005 and may NOT in part or in whole be reproduced in any electronic or printed medium without prior permission from the author." (Capitalization is by the source, not mine.)

Just thought I would make mention, for future considerations. We wouldn't want to create bad blood between two great photo sites. A better action would be to include a link to the source review in posted comments before and after.

:|
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote