Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:18 AM   #1

Here is an idea to circumvent the high zoom =tiny sensor = high noise dilemma. Why not create a version of the FZ30 as an8MP camera with a 2/3 sensor or larger, and an 8x zoom which can be brought up to a 12x zoomat 5 MP and 15x zoomat 3MP. I could live with that compromise. And one can always buy a teleconverter for the rare occasion that one really needs to take a 12x shot at the full 8MP resolution. This should not change the dimensions of the camera too drastically and would really eliminate the need for an SLR. And here is another innovative thought. Couldn't Panasonic, the company whichintroduced affordable 3 CCD camcorders to the masses, integrate that same technology in a digital still camera? Since the Fovean chip doesn't seem to go anywhere, would this not be a viable technology to closely mimic true film emulsion? Just theorizing.....
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:16 AM   #2

just as effectively (and a lot cheaper), they could lower pixel density by using the same sensor at 6MP instead of 8. that'd lower noise quite a bit with little sacrifice in print capability for most photographers. i doubt people who make a lot of 20x30 prints are using FZ cameras anyway...

i'd much rather see them come up with an EVF that doesn't freeze up when you take the shot, and that provides info on how far you're focusing, like the old SLR lenses did. they've addressed a lot of shortcomings with the FZ30, but also wasted a lot of time on niceties and window dressing that don't really do anything to improve image quality. and isn't image quality what we really want anyway?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:24 PM   #3

Good points. That's why I am sitting out the FZ30 and stick to my FZ20. Next year I am going to make a decision and possibly get a DSLR or might get the FZ40 if it addresses the current shortcomings.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:14 PM   #4

you an' me both. not looking at a DSLR soon, but will wait an' see what the FZ40 looks like...:G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 5:19 PM   #5

I am in synch with you guys, but with a twist. I N E E D all the zoom I can get at this point, and I need A L L the mega pixels I can beg borrow or steal. Pure and simple, very many of my shots are cropped severely. I have to have some pixels left to get a good keeper! So, tho I'd vote for bigger sensor and ya...less noise too...I will still worship the ground I cover with my Panasonic FZ 30. I will N O T hesitate for second to buy the next thing they put out, assuming they keep heading in the same direction as in 20's upgrade to 30. As it is now, I can honestly say my shooting technique can skirt around the noise issue, by just making sure I get every ray of light that's available. The wonderful shots I have so far (judged by me of course) vastly outweigh any noise issues. The next thing out by Panny I hope will be able to solve the sensor vs lense size issues, because any reasonable thinking person will assume they already decided to keep the zoom and small size (this cam is the perfect size for me!) as opposed to a design which would leave them no choice but to increase lense size therefore camera bulk which would equal more expense at our end. P A T I E N C E ! patience...I bet we will get what we all are clamoring for and we'll get it from Panasonic to boot. Meanwhile, I am gonna enjoy heading back to the big rocks around here and go bag me some more wildlife shots.
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:36 PM   #6

Thanks for your input, Kenneth.

How about the 3CCD idea? Has that been discussed anywhere? If it creates superior images in camcorders wouldit not also be a viable option in digital still cameras?