Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:39 PM   #11

jcr wrote:
Quote:
tchuanye wrote:
Quote:
jcr wrote:
Quote:
Super photos I must say

Nikon 6T I know it well, I own one of those...but that Sigma Close up filter, I would like to know better...Can Youplease give some details ? I wold like to know what is that combination working distance also.

...In my garden dragonflies don't come so close...and not so still...:sad:
Thanks jcr!

The Sigma achromatic lens is a +1.6 dioptre double element lens similar to the Nikon 5T. Working distance by itself is 39cm. With the 6T its 19cm

So Tchuanye, why did you use this combinationbut not 6T plus 5T without the step-ring ? did I miss something ? or previously owned maybe ?
Yes, previously owned the Sigma CU filter during my slr days. Got the 6T for the FZ10.

tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:40 PM   #12

Thanks smac, thekman and tiger98!
Old Nov 14, 2005, 5:11 AM   #13

#3 is poetry in macro. Very nice job, Tan.You once again prove you are a master here.Forgive me if I point out DOF affectsoverall picture clarity in both #1 and #2.

Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 6:43 AM   #14

Raghu wrote:
Quote:
#3 is poetry in macro. Very nice job, Tan.You once again prove you are a master here.Forgive me if I point out DOF affectsoverall picture clarity in both #1 and #2.

Raghu
Thanks Raghu!

Er...can you elaborate on the DOF issue...don't really understand your point on #1 and #2....not clear as in not sharp or shallow DOF? Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:01 AM   #15

Great Shots Tchuanye, as always.

As I often say 6T and Sigma work great together, so I am just receiving a 5T to add to the 6T I already owe.

But I am sure that without ext flash (and bounced light) the results can hardly compare with yours, although I have made several macro I am very satisfied with.
Really I d like to see at least one and same shot taken with your ext bounced flash and the same with on board flash.
(It seems that on camera bounced flash -bounced with white paper cards- is better than on camera diffused flash-).

Finally do you really find useful to have a third lens (UV filter) for macros?
Isn't it a useless further glass for this kind of shots ?

Narmer

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:55 AM   #16

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Great Shots Tchuanye, as always.

As I often say 6T and Sigma work great together, so I am just receiving a 5T to add to the 6T I already owe.

But I am sure that without ext flash (and bounced light) the results can hardly compare with yours, although I have made several macro I am very satisfied with.
Really I d like to see at least one and same shot taken with your ext bounced flash and the same with on board flash.
(It seems that on camera bounced flash -bounced with white paper cards- is better than on camera diffused flash-).

Finally do you really find useful to have a third lens (UV filter) for macros?
Isn't it a useless further glass for this kind of shots ?

Narmer

Thanks Narmer.

The UV filter is there to protect my main lens. Its always on. So when not shooting macros, its with the UV filter....its not meant to improve anything, but more for protection....

Ok, will try to remember to take one shot with the on-board flash the next time round....

Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:47 PM   #17

.. as always: excellent!
These achromats are not my problem - have got enough of them, starting with your sigma achromat and ending with olympus a life size. Some of them can be combined, others not.
But when I see your pictures I start thinking of transportable backgrounds. My objects are often close to "vivid" backgrounds and we are not supposed to tear off some plants? (I have done this only once, but....)

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 9:08 PM   #18

seemolf wrote:
Quote:
.. as always: excellent!
These achromats are not my problem - have got enough of them, starting with your sigma achromat and ending with olympus a life size. Some of them can be combined, others not.
But when I see your pictures I start thinking of transportable backgrounds. My objects are often close to "vivid" backgrounds and we are not supposed to tear off some plants? (I have done this only once, but....)

Sven

These shots are with natural BG....the last one, the white at tje bottom is a pavement though.

There are some pp who uses fake BG to remove the clutter from their shots. I am not so keen on this approach as its not natural. I try to shoot it as it is where possible, and changing my position to get a clean BG. If that cannot be achieved, I may try to 'influence' the insect to another spot.....making it fly and land at another spot, move to another spot, or sometimes relocating it (move the twig its on) to a better BG. Different approach to different insects. Using leaves as a BG is a good idea too....though have not tried that.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 1:30 AM   #19

Hi tchuanye,
I admire your skill with natural BGs and I will not start with faked backgrounds!
Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:30 AM   #20

tchuanye wrote:
Quote:
...shallow DOF?
Yes, exactly. Dragonfly, beinglarge in size, is too big an area for macro with add-on lenses -you can very well seehow its tail has gone totally blurred in the first shot, and the wings in the second shot. However, in the last one, you have struck a nice balance and the whole pic has come very crisp and clear. Keep up the good job and post more such wonderful shots.

Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote