Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 12, 2005, 4:00 AM   #1

I'm trying to take photos of Dragonflies, Butterflies and spiders. I have a cheapo 3rd world unnamed macro that came with another camera. Problems include onboard flash won't work at the short distance I have to get to the subject. The lens will only focus if I get within 2 inches. (Did I mention I like photos of live subjects). If I set the aperature to F8 for depth of field (want to get both wings, you know) the viewfinder is too dark to see the subject. Spiders just hop on the lens and run around it. I wind up with a lot of spider silk on the lens.

Rather than buy a Canon 20D and a 180 mm macro and an external flash, (mega$$$) is there a macro lens that will fit (without a bigadapter that would put the lens right on the butterfly's head) on the Panasonic and do a good job at distances greater than 2 inches? Say1 to 4 feet? Also, anyone know about flash rings or what regular flash would do the job? I e-mailed Panasonic abouta macroI thought might work and they, as usual, said they don't deal with ??? like that. I think their customer service is worthless.

I would appreciate any suggestions you have.

Nicky
nicky-davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2005, 4:49 PM   #2

Nicky, I would try the Nikon 6T macro lens. It works great with the FZ30. You can get back about 12" with it. Not sure about the FZ20 but I believe it would take a Step-Down adapter ring 72mm to 62mm to fit it to the lens, confirm that with someone! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:45 PM   #3

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Nicky, I would try the Nikon 6T macro lens. It works great with the FZ30. You can get back about 12" with it. Not sure about the FZ20 but I believe it would take a Step-Down adapter ring 72mm to 62mm to fit it to the lens, confirm that with someone! Jim
the only GOOD way to mount a lens like the Nikon 6T (which i use with my own FZ20, and can highly recommend!) is to use a lens adapter like the ones made by Phayee, Pemaraal or Raynox. i have the Phayee adapter on my FZ20. ithas 62mm threads on the front, and the 6T close-up lens screws rightonto the adapter, which positions the lens (or filter) MUCH closer to the camera lens than the factory adapter, thus also reducing flare and unwanted reflections. the Phayee also makes it possible to use smaller, more readily availble filters (UV, polarizer, etc.) instead of hunting for 72mm ones that cost much more when you do find them.

you can get a Phayee adapter for about $22.50 US on ebay, and the Nikon 6t can be had for about $50 from a couple of different camera stores online.like Jim said, you can back off about 12-14" with this set up, and still use the full 12x zoom. just to give you an idea, here's a photo i took with my '20 using the 6T close-up lens. as you can see, it does the job... this li'l fella was very much alive at the time, and flew off a couple of minutes after i took this shot.

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:48 PM   #4

Squirrl

Lovely shot - Im still counting hair!

HarjTT

:G
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:58 PM   #5

Squirl, Just out of curiosity, can you also use the 6T with the 72mm to 62mm step-down adapter ring on the FZ20, and if so what is the main disadvantage ? Jim

p.s. That's one fuzzy little bee, and a great shot! Must get a little chilly up there in Washington! Our bees are still wearing shorts ! :-)
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:16 PM   #6

i've never tried using the 6T with a step-down ring. with the Phayee adapter, i don't have to use any step rings at all. that's one advantage of having it, and one of the main reasons i bought it within a month of getting my FZ20. of course, with the FZ30, the lens is threaded, so you don't need an adapter, though you'll still need a step-ring (either a 55-62mm step-up to use the 6T lens, or a 55-52mm step-down for the 4T, which has 52mm threads). using aa 72mm-62mm stepdownis certainly possible mechanically (though you might need to use two rings - 72-67mm, and a 67-62mm) todo it.the only concern would be that you're reducing the diameter of your close-up lens by almost a half inch compared to your adapter, and at wide-open apertures and low zoom settings, there might be some vignetting.

PS - yeah, they're furry li'l fellas up close. i do have a shot of a yellow jacket that's got a lot less hair, but even he's not completely bald! :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:31 PM   #7

Thanks for the follow up info Squirl ! The reason I asked was because I sold my FZ20 and the person wanted info on adding the 6T lens. I'll now recommend the the Phayee !
Regarding the bee, doesn't seem fair that they should have more hair than me!:-) Jim