Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 13, 2005, 5:45 PM   #1

I'm sure some of you have already discovered a way to install a better strap on the FZ20&30 cameras. I found when I tried to put an OpTech strap on my FZ30 that the part of the strap that connects to the camera lugs was a little to wide and to thick. I trimmed the width a little but the thickness of the strap made it bind in the lugs an not swivel freely. I found that by putting a simple small split ring on the lugs first and then connecting the strap to this ring made for a perfect strap to lug connection! Found the rings at a local hardware store, cost .29 cents each! There are several better 3rd party straps available and by using the rings you can use any of them! Hope this helps any of you wanting to use a better camera carrying strap. I might add that the OpTech strap makes the camera feel 50% lighter, and is easier on the shoulder or around the neck. Jim
Attached Images

tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 5:47 PM   #2

This is the split ring...
Attached Images

Old Nov 13, 2005, 6:50 PM   #3

Tiger98,

One observation and one recommendation.

OBS: Those rings may well mar the finish on the camera body, so be careful.

REC: I, too, became enamored of the Op/Tech strap (Super Classic, in my case). But rather than getting the 3/8" strap version, I opted for the Pro Loop version.

On my camera: http://rschofield.smugmug.com/photos/41238587-M.jpg

Op/Tech link (number 4 in this photo, the 3/8" strap version is number 3): http://www.optechusa.com/product/det...;CATEGORY_ID=4

Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com/

rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the warning Dick, and the recommendation. I wasn't aware of the other versions that Op\Tech had to offer! I had this version on my old SLR and it was such a good strap that I just ordered the same one! I do like the freedom of movement using this split ring so I may just add a small velcro (the soft side) pad under the rings where they come in contact with the camera body. I also may look and see if I can find the next smallest size of the split ring, which would cut down on the area it could reach on the camera body. I might add that the rings are very smooth so may not be a problem at all. But to be safe I will add the pads. Jim
Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:16 PM   #5

Dick, Just checked the rings and found that the strap almost makes it impossible for the rings to come into contact with the camera body! I had to manipulate the rings and the strap to make the rings make contact. I think it's due to the small diameter of the rings and the thickness of the straps but at this point I can't find anywhere on the body that might be touched by the rings when the camera is being used! I do appreciate your bringing it to my attention! Jim