Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:27 PM   #1

4 simple questions.

First: with the Lens adapter, can i use it without the hood?

Second: can i leave the lens adapter (if without the hood) on all the time?

Third: would filters like this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-FZ30-F...QQcmdZViewItem

Fourth: Ive heard things with SD cards slowing down. If I bought a 60x ADATA 512MB SD card, how could i prevent it from slowing down?
caveman017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:15 PM   #2

I'm not sure on the adapter and lens hood for the FZ5 - there's many here with the Z5 that can give you the answers. However, regards filters don't buy cheap quality filters to fit infront on that "leica" lens - better to purchase some decent quality filters from the like so Hoya, Tiffen or B+W.

You should get a UV (multi-coated) filter at least to protect the lens. A polariser (linear) and a ND filter are others that are essentials. For landscapes to get that nice glow get an 81C filter - a recent review in Photographer Monthly gave this cheap (£15-40) filter 4 stars and is on my list of must haves for my FZ10.

Ive never heard of SD cards slowing down - the only thing i can think of there is fragmentation occuring if you keep on shooting and erasing files of the card. The best thing to fix that would be to copy everythign off the card and then reformat it.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 8:55 PM   #3

Quote:
First: with the Lens adapter, can i use it without the hood?
Yes
Quote:
Second: can i leave the lens adapter (if without the hood) on all the time?
Yes,except that it might cause a shadow when using the onboard flash.
Quote:
Third: would filters like this work?
Yes,but the quality may be poor. It says they are multicoated so they might be worth the $15. I'd spend a little more to quarantee quality; ie, get hoya brand mutlicoated. The flourescent filter is probably useless given the fz5 white balance setting option.
Quote:
Fourth: Ive heard things with SD cards slowing down. If I bought a 60x ADATA 512MB SD card, how could i prevent it from slowing down?
Never heard of that.

See http://www.ishots.net/fz5/modified_fz5_adapter.htm
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 12:52 AM   #4

The only think I can think of that would slow a card down is if it gets fragmented. That happens by taking a few images, erasing a few, taking a few more, etc. If you erase all of the images then the potential fragmentation is gone.

I just orderd a B+W linear polarizing filter and a Hoya hood that I can use with the filter. I'll post back here how they work. My understanding is that other filters are not necessary for taking good photographs. The camera has UV filtering built in, and any color or tint can be introduced by setting the white balance manually and, if necessary, modifying it a bit with the menu button. More tints can be done with the Color Effect setting.

I agree a high quality clear glass "filter" may be a good idea to protect the lens.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote