Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 14, 2005, 4:20 PM   #1

While I'm waiting for my FZ5 to arrive I've been looking at some macro shots taken with the FZ5 and decided to buy a close up lens. Because the Nikon 6T seems to be difficult to find around here (northern Europe) and the Raynox 250 too strong, I've pretty much settled for a Canon 250D.

The lens comes in two sizes, 52 and 58, and I need help in choosing the best size for the FZ5. The price is the same for both lenses, but which combination is better: 52mm with a step up ring or a 58mm with a step down ring?

How about in the future, if I decide to buy a new adapter for the FZ5, which size is likely to give me less problems?

Thanks in advance
makarjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2005, 5:27 PM   #2

makarjal:

Nikon 6T is easy to buy via eBay. Should have no problems.

IF you decide to go the 250D route then suggest go with the larger 58mm lens. No point in limiting the available image into the camera.

Ian.
Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 5:51 PM   #3

makarjal wrote:
Quote:
How about in the future, if I decide to buy a new adapter for the FZ5, which size is likely to give me less problems?
The fz5 stock adapter is rather poorly designed. It is sufficient for close-up lens -in which case the 58mm 250d would be best vs the 52mm -but if you're interested in wide angle and/or tele converters you might want to consider modifying the fz5 adapterusing the raynox rt5264p adapter which will give you metal 52mm. For that, the 52mm 250d would be better. See http://www.ishots.net/fz5/modified_fz5_adapter.htm
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 6:37 PM   #4

Thanks ian and fmoore. I'm wondering, what exactly would I be sacrificing by choosing the 52mm from the start? In other words, how will it show in my pictures?

One more thing, am I correct in thinking the Canon 250D is a good quality CU-lens, comparable to the Nikon 4T/6T in terms of quality? I've never used a CU-lens before, but read quite a lot of posts on macros on here and other forums, and as far as I can see the only difference is in the diopter.

A big plus for the 250D in my case would be that I could get it for less than 70 euros in the same order with the FZ5...
makarjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 8:13 PM   #5

All other things being equal, I would choose the larger diameter for more glass. However, since thelens diameter ofthe fz5is about 35mm, the 52mm 250d will work just as well as the 58mm; ie, no vignetting or corner degradation from the 6mm smaller diameter.

The +4 diopter canon 250d is an excellent dual element lens of the same quality as the nikon or olympus macro lens. I would get the 52mm for the fz5 in anticipation of eventually doing the rt5264p modification. I have used it for the7 months I've had the fz5 and the desirability of those metal threads vs the stock plastic cannot be stressed enough.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:34 AM   #6

The Olympus MCON-40 would be an alternative. It has 55mm thread size. A new one would be expensive, but you should get one via ebay for ~35 - 50 €.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:49 AM   #7

... if you should use the 55mm plastic "thread", don't forget to sand down to the thread start.

My Mcon40 fell down following newtons laws, which were much stronger than the worn out panasonic connection. I was not amused, but the lens survived!

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:59 AM   #8

I agree with Stoney, the +3 diopter mcon40 is also an excellent choice and at 55mm requires no step ring. Likewise the 55mm +4 Minolta #2 close-up. As Sven indicates, the plastic threads on the stock adapter are not to be trusted. At the very least the 1mm or so of unthreaded plastic that interferes with a secure connection should be removed (rubbing against fine grit sandpaper on a hard flat horizontal surface) and a metal 55mm multicoated uv filter - or dummy filter with the glass removed - should be more or less permanently attached to the adapter to receive other filters.The uv filterwill noteffect the quality of the macro lens.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:06 AM   #9

I can't seem to find the Nikon 6T on eBay. Is it called by a different name?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 1:48 PM   #10

Only one I could find on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nikon-CLOSE-UP-No...QQcmdZViewItem

Brian
desertcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote