Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:27 PM   #11

don't know so much about silver FZ30 accessories, but i have a silver FZ20, and i can assure you, the pics look as good as from a black one! LOL! my Phayee adapter is also silver. the TCON-14B and hood are black, as is my Hama hood clone, but ya know what? no one cares... especially if it'll save you $200!! the way i figure, if anyone's enough of a snob to care that my camera is silver instead of black, their opinion isn't worth much anyway...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:30 PM   #12

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
don't know so much about silver FZ30 accessories, but i have a silver FZ20, and i can assure you, the pics look as good as from a black one! LOL! my Phayee adapter is also silver. the TCON-14B and hood are black, as is my Hama hood clone, but ya know what? no one cares... especially if it'll save you $200!! the way i figure, if anyone's enough of a snob to care that my camera is silver instead of black, their opinion isn't worth much anyway...
Could you take a pic of your rig with the filter, hood and tcon?

Sometimes i scare myself...

thanks,
Nigel
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:34 PM   #13

here ya go....
Attached Images

Old Nov 16, 2005, 12:20 AM   #14

okay! awsome! that doesn't look that bad!

is the hood on there? or is that just the tcon? btw, the tcon is huge!!! is the 17 bigger???

thanks for the picture of your rig man! most obliged!

nigel

Old Nov 16, 2005, 12:30 AM   #15

the Contaxlens hood is the front part, from the forward knurled ring on out. it screws into the threads in front of the the TCON-14B. the TCON-14BIS a large lens, 86mm objective, weighs a full pound. it's much bigger and heavier than the TCON17, which hasa 77mm front lens and weighs about 9 ounces. that huge objective lens on the -14B makes it very bright, and i don't lose any f-stops with it, but it is heavy and bulky. main reason i got it is that it screws right into the 62mm threads on my UV filter, and it's one of the sharpest TCONs available, withminimal chromatic aberration. for the FZ30, the TCON17 will fit right on, screw into the threads on the end of your lens. it's also a lot cheaper than the -14B, and can be had for under $100 on ebay pretty routinely.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:19 AM   #16

hitmanx wrote:
Quote:
PS- does anyone own a silver fz30? I have an opportunity to get one for almost $200 cheaper than a black, but i'm very picky... i don't know whats wrong with me really... :? Does the silver match well with accessories, or will people think less of me cause it's sliver? hahaha...:lol: just kidding.... no really...
For a partial shot of a silver 30 look at

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:42 PM   #17

So, does anyone use the DPS-9000 with the FZ30? Does it work well? ie placement, power cable, and balance?

thanks,
Nigel
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:06 AM   #18

I have the DPS9000 and have quit using it.

I do not like the door being open or the bulk of the unit.

But the main thing I do not like is the powersave does not work with the pack plugged in, and even with the camera turned off there is a slight power drain on the DPS9000.

IMHO its better to have 3 or 4 batteries than the pack .. but then thats just the way I feel about it.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:26 PM   #19

hitmanx wrote:
Quote:
So, does anyone use the DPS-9000 with the FZ30? Does it work well? ie placement, power cable, and balance?

thanks,
Nigel
Three $20.00 FZ30 batteries has more power the the DPS-9000 and is less bulky.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:11 AM   #20

squirl033 said:
Quote:
the 5T and 6T, as you know, are 62mm, but the 3T andn 4T are the same lenses in 52mm size. you might find a 55-52mm step down to be a preferable choice to the 10mm step up required for the 5 or 6T.
Okay! I am finally getting an FZ30!! I can hardly wait!!

Anyways, why is it preferable to step down to a 3t or 4t? For cost reasons or does it do something better for macro shots (ie less vin or edge blur)?

thanks,

Nigel