Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:37 PM   #1

I'm pretty close to buying an FZ30 and I have spent a couple hours scouring this forum for information regarding the proper add-on accessories for this cam… I'm not interested in WA or Tele lenses just yet, but the TCON-17 sound like a good one… It's a macro lens that I am interested in as well as a UV filter…

I've done a lot of research into the FZ series cams without ever owning one as I am little poor … A lot of you guys are posting amazing shots with Nikon 6T's and I figure that the 6T is what I'll end up getting, but they are expensive up here in Canada ($89CAD)… I've read somewheres that the 5T, while not giving you the power of the 6T, will give you more room to focus or more distance tolerance to the subject (forgive me if that doesn't make sense, I've been staring at the computer screen for quite some time... :?)

Okay, now for the meat of the question:

I want to have a UV Haze filter to protect my camera lens and to elevate nasty haziness in mountain shots and such… the 6T and 5T are both 62mm, so a step-up ring would be needed, but can the UV filter and the closeup lenses be used at the same time? And furthermore, should I mount the UV filter at 55mm first or after the step-up ring at 62mm?

Also, to through it in the mix, I would like to have a hood for the lens… Can a lens hood be used with the 6T or 5T? And therefore should I get a 62mm hood or stick with a 55mm so that it can mount to the UV filter directly?

And speaking of lens hoods, I can't seem to find a good one up here in Canada!

The collapsible Adorama (www.adorama.com) has been suggested from a few forum members, but others suggest a Hama-style hood, but I can't for the life of me find a good source for that either… most of the online retailers that are based in the states are asking for astronomical shipping charges (sometimes 3x the amount of the product). Is a hood telematic hood even needed now that the zoom is all internal?

So I guess what I'm asking is what's the best accessories stack for macro, protection and ambiant light for the FZ30?

Thank you,
Nigel
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:29 PM   #2

you can use a standard 55mm UV/skylight filter for lens protection, but you'll need a step ring to use the Nikon series of close-up lenses. the 5T and 6T, as you know, are 62mm, but the 3T andn 4T are the same lenses in 52mm size. you might find a 55-52mm step down to be a preferable choice to the 10mm step up required for the 5 or 6T. you're correct in that the 5T will provide a bit more working distance, and more depth of field, in exchange for a bit less magnification (it's a 1.5 diotper lens, the 6T is a 2.9 diopter).

i have a UV filter on my FZ20 which i leave on at all times, even when using close-up or teleconverter lenses. i have stacked the Nikon 6T on top of that filter many times with no discernable degradation of image quality at all. i would recommend using a 55mm filter and simply leaving it on the camera, then attaching any additional accessories you need using step rings.

as far as hoods go, for use with the FZ30, there aren't a lot of hoods truly deep enough to fully "protect" a lens with the reach of the FZ's. but there are a couple out there that work pretty well. i use a knock-off of the Hama collapsible hood on my FZ20, and it seems to do the trick just fine. look for "collapsible hoods" on ebay, you should be able to find something that will screw into your 55mm lens or filter threads.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:07 PM   #3

thanks squirl, you did clear some things up, or at least allowed me to agree with myself...

but how about the use of a close up filter and a collapsible hood? is it needed? can i screw the close ups to the hood or would that be too far from the lens?

One more question for the FZ users: the question of fast and super fast SD cards... I'm sure the FZ's can utilize 10mb/s cards, as my lowly Canon sd200 can attest, but i've noticed a new breed of 20mb/s cards out now... can the FZ30 utilize them, or is a waste of money, or more for dSLR's? (i'm speaking of the ATP promax from Futureshop/Bestbuy - 133x speed)

thanks,
nigel

--= Btw, i've just realized that I've known about the Panasonic FZ breed of cameras for 9 months! I think it's time to have this baby!!!!! =--
Old Nov 15, 2005, 1:37 AM   #4

there's really no need for a lens hood with a close-up lens. i've never used one, even in bright sunlight, although technically you could, as long as you kept the zoom above 4-6x.

as for memory cards, the FZ30 writes at under7MB/sec, from what i've heard, and a 60x card is rated at 9MB/sec, so it's fast enough for normal use. an 18-20MB/sec cardwould be useful if you're shooting TIFF or RAW, which makes for much bigger files sizes that would otherwise take longer to process, but if you shootJPEG, the 60x is fast enough. i use Kingmax Platinum 60x cards in 512MB size in my FZ20, and have had wonderful results. no memory problems, fast downloads, and the camera will shoot in continuous mode as long as you want without stopping. last time i looked, the Kingmax cards were about $30 at Newegg.com. great price, great card, and good service.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:19 AM   #5

I put a 55mm UV filter (Hoya HMC Super multi) on - forever! Adream to clean fingerprints from. The rare times the sun is affecting my lens, I use my hand to block it and if necessary clone the hand out of the photo. I have a collapsible rubber hood in my backpack, but it sees the light of day about 3 hours per year. Get that FZ30 NOW and worry about these details AFTER you have had the fun of using it a bit. That will give you more of a feel of what you NEED. Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:31 AM   #6

I see the balance of the FZ-30 a little blue, so I use a Skyligth filter to protect the lens, instead of the UV, and I personally like the results.

Just my two cents.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:26 PM   #7

I know what it is to be poor. I sold a car to buy the fz30 )

Ever looked at the Raynox macro lenses? Cheaper yes, as good not sure.

Top of my list of accessories would be a UV filter

Then more memory the ultra fast cards are a bit of a wasteI don't think the FZ30 can write more than 10Mbs (60x?) The faster cards only allow slightly faster download speeds to a computer using a card reader.

Then at least one spare battery. You will use this and the card much more than a lens hood.

I have the Hama and the Hoya hoods. Prefer the Hama, takes less space.

You think shipping to Canada is expensive, you should try living in South Africa ;o)

Allan
Dassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:33 PM   #8

msantos,

Good choice on the skylight filter. I use the skylight1B myself on all my lenses.

Night shots are better with no filter on.

I know some will find this not so in their experience or in their case but this works for me.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:50 PM   #9

Awsome responses guys!! I love this forum! :-)

I think i'll just get the darn thing, but i'm try to think ahead a bit... i don't wanna have to spend more money later if i can just prepare now...

The FZ30 cast a little blue eh? can you stack UV and Skylight perhaps?

Now to the battery... i forgot to ask about that... I want to get a one of those kewl DPS-9000 jobies... I hear they make the FZ20 more balanced, so maybe they do the same for the FZ30... anyone have one of those AND an FZ30? At 2000mAh, it sure sound better in theory than just a spare... I don't size matters (:-)), I'm gearing up to go with an dSLR within the next couple years so it'll be practice... If i wanna use a small camera, i'll use my Canon sd200...

Anyways, thank you for all your responses!

I hope to post some of my results from my new FZ30 soon!! (this time for real, not like the last time when i said that about the FZ20 like 8 months ago :?)

Nigel

PS- does anyone own a silver fz30? I have an opportunity to get one for almost $200 cheaper than a black, but i'm very picky... i don't know whats wrong with me really... :? Does the silver match well with accessories, or will people think less of me cause it's sliver? hahaha...:lol: just kidding.... no really...
Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:53 PM   #10

msantos wrote:
Quote:
I see the balance of the FZ-30 a little blue, so I use a Skyligth filter to protect the lens, instead of the UV, and I personally like the results.

Just my two cents.
Btw msantos, could you demonstrate the existance of this blue cast? Maybe by taking a shot with and without the filter?

If you wouldn't mind... I do like a warmer more vibrant picture (too many years using canons :blah

thanks man,

Nigel