Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:55 AM   #1

Hi everyone, here's a shot of the moon tonight Nov 14/05 compare this to (sorry I'm not sure who's shot it was) another moon shot with the TCON 14...I believe it was. Similair settings I think...f 9 and 1/125 iso 80. Shot with 12X zoom plus the boost of the 1.7 and 8 MP setting. I believe I'm going to try again tomorrow, we had a very cloudy night with short sections of quickly disappearing clear sky. In any case, there's quite a bit of difference between our two shots, and so far I prefer the TCON shot. However, if we get a clearer sky tomorrow, we should be able to compare apples to apples and see if the Panasonic lense can capture a better shot than what I've just posted.

Kd
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:01 AM   #2

Wow, that looks great to me. I wonder what the FZ30 can do without the teleconverter?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:50 AM   #3

Did you have the OIS turned off? Look forward to seeing your comparison shots.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:15 AM   #4

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Did you have the OIS turned off? Look forward to seeing your comparison shots.
i think he was comparing the FZ30 shot taken with theLT-55teleconverter to the one i just postedusing the FZ20 and TCON-14B.

Kd, is your converter an LT-55, ot a TL-55? i can't find a reference to the LT-55 anywhere...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 5:51 PM   #5

From the rim of the lense...Ya squirl it WAS your (super) moon shot I was refering to. I'm going to try again tonight, I did have the IS turned on, but hopefully tonight thesky will be clearer. Will also try a series of timed shutter shots to be absolutely sure of no camera shake.

Kd
Attached Images

Old Nov 15, 2005, 5:59 PM   #6

Nizidramanii wrote:
Quote:
Wow, that looks great to me. I wonder what the FZ30 can do without the teleconverter?
I posted one before...hmmm, see if I can find it...shot about a month ago, 12X zoom no tele addon, tripod, IS, around same settings, f8 1/125...

Must point out tho, I had a much nicer sky...
Attached Images

Old Nov 15, 2005, 6:15 PM   #7

The reason I asked the question about the IS being on is the sharpness being a tad off.

It is recommended that IS be turned off when using the tripod. It may try to compensate for the shutter when it does fire, thus the IS comes into play when it doesn't need to.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:10 PM   #8

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
The reason I asked the question about the IS being on is the sharpness being a tad off.

It is recommended that IS be turned off when using the tripod. It may try to compensate for the shutter when it does fire, thus the IS comes into play when it doesn't need to.
i shoot with OIS in mode 2 at all times. i've shot from a tripod with this setting with no loss of clarity. it's mode 1, i think, that causes the problem. in mode 1, OIS is on constantly, and it may try to compensate for movement that isn't really there, or to over compensate if you press the shutter button manually. in mode 2, it only functions at the instant the shutter is tripped. from a tripod with a remote release, or using the self timer, for that matter, there is zero movement, so nothing for the OIS to compensate for. i don't even bother turning OIS off, just leave in mode 2 and it seems to work fine.

Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:17 PM   #9

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
From the rim of the lense...Ya squirl it WAS your (super) moon shot I was refering to. I'm going to try again tonight, I did have the IS turned on, but hopefully tonight thesky will be clearer. Will also try a series of timed shutter shots to be absolutely sure of no camera shake.

Kd
make sure your OIS is either off, or in mode 2.

i wasn't sure if you had the Panasonic teleconverter, or the Canon TL-55... the latter produces pretty soft images, from what i've heard. it's also a 1.4x lens, not 1.7x like yours. but it looks awful similar...
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:35 PM   #10

Hi Ken,

This is the shot I had posted.... FZ-30 f 3.7 1/250 iso 80 and a TCON 17 tele AT 48X Hand Held braced against wall
Attached Images

TWO2956 is offline   Reply With Quote