Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:13 PM   #11

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Tazzie! Guess cameras and techniques have come a long way in a year! :-) Jim
Hey... You makin fun of my moon...:-)
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:22 PM   #12

No Way Bob! I love your moon!:?
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:12 AM   #13

Your first attempt??? I have never got a moon like that!!, and handheld!!!, it is a great proof of how OIS can help .

Great shoot, I really like it.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:23 AM   #14

The first shot was from a tripod, the second, 48x digital zoom, was handheld. Thanks for the nice comments! Jim

Old Nov 17, 2005, 2:28 AM   #15

Loved the moon photo. Tried the full moon yesterday but all I got was a bright disc. Did you use any filter etc
Pompey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 9:02 AM   #16

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
No Way Bob! I love your moon!:?
I was just kidding...

Yours turned out great. Ecspecially for hand held. You can realy get good ones with a tripod, using the timer.

You should try it with the extended optical zoom with your 30. I only have a 20, but hope to get a 30 some day.

bobc
Old Nov 17, 2005, 4:24 PM   #17

Bob, I have tried that extended zoom with both 5mp and 3mp and with and without the tripod. Still not getting the sharpness I want. I'm sure it's in the settings I've tried. IMO when the moon is full the sharpness seems to drop off because it doesn't have the shadow to cast across the craters. I think I had shot some last year with my FZ20 that came out better because the moon wasn't full. I'll keep trying until I get it right! Thanks for the suggestions! (yes I knew U were kidding!) :lol: Jim
Old Nov 17, 2005, 4:31 PM   #18

Pompey, No filter used. This is the settings that I seemed to have the best results with: FZ30 using 'M',(manual) mode, Apeture: 7.1, Shutter: 1/250, I also used a tripod on all but the 48x digital zoom, and I tried both auto focus and manual focus. My IS is set to #2 and I used the timed (2 sec) shutter release. Hope this helps. Let me know. Jim
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:00 PM   #19

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Bob, I have tried that extended zoom with both 5mp and 3mp and with and without the tripod. Still not getting the sharpness I want. I'm sure it's in the settings I've tried. IMO when the moon is full the sharpness seems to drop off because it doesn't have the shadow to cast across the craters. I think I had shot some last year with my FZ20 that came out better because the moon wasn't full. I'll keep trying until I get it right! Thanks for the suggestions! (yes I knew U were kidding!) :lol: Jim
Try setting IS to off, and use the 2 second timer with the tripod.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:07 PM   #20

Bob, The 2 sec timer is the one I've been using, but I'll try the IS off and see if that helps! Thanks, I'll let you know what happens. Jim