Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:51 PM   #1

This is 3MP mode (3EZ)

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:02 PM   #2

My goodness man you've crossed right on over to the ah ah darkside and
in so doing have captured the true sensuality of that succulent. Is there
none who will be spared by this FZ30 abomination? I for one resist.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:15 PM   #3

Congratulations, John, and a marvelous 1st post with your new FZ30! The red tips come out wonderfully. Lighting is excellent. Really nice shot! How does it feel to go from 2mp to 8mp? Not to mention the faster speed and much larger size? Give us your first impressions. I can't recall anyone going from the fz1 to the fz30.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:56 PM   #4

boyzo,

Narmer stated how the FZ20 does best shooting at 3mp. I noticed you posted this shot being at 3mp. Any particular reason?

By the way, the FZ30 is looking quite tempting after viewing some of your posts.

If raynox does in fact come out with the .66x wide angle lensin a 55mm thread I just may go for it.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:38 AM   #5

Tom I don't have a preference for 3MP EZ mode other than I can have up to 19.1 optical zoom I use 8/5/ or 3mp depending on my mood or subject and possible print size, besides 3mp is quite adequate for web posting and the forum and besides I am not a megapixel junkie more a zoom Junkie .

The non extending lens and 55mm thread is quite a strong point for addons.

John

Old Nov 17, 2005, 1:43 AM   #6

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Congratulations, John, and a marvelous 1st post with your new FZ30! The red tips come out wonderfully. Lighting is excellent. Really nice shot! How does it feel to go from 2mp to 8mp? Not to mention the faster speed and much larger size? Give us your first impressions. I can't recall anyone going from the fz1 to the fz30.
Thanks for kind remarks Fred, I try to use light to create 3D and depth, I generally fail miserably in flat dull lighting.

Heck Fred FZ1 > FZ30 yes a big jump indeed, I wanted close to full manual control / exposure lock / Histogram/, the FZ1 great as it is did not have that, I also wanted manual focus when it might be needed if Auto Focus would not lock.

Startup is in an instant and defaults to the last zoom setting ... cool

Old FZxx batteries work I have three .... cool

2mp to 8mp well not a big deal, but yes potentially much more detail, however, I tend to like 3EZ and 5EZ modes for 15x and 19.1X zoom its like haveing three cameras in one, choose your mode.

For web / or / forums 8mp image tends to loose some of the fine detail but certainly 8mp can do fine large prints and or be more acceptable for publishing.

I have had the FZ30 for 5 days and basically I really like it the largeness is not a problem as I thought and cradled as I suggested in my thread you can walk around with it all day....
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

The EVF/LCD are very clear very much improved the EVF image is larger and the LCD very detailed, and its flips and rotates albeit in a limited fashion but still great.

The Zoom ring is very fast I use last index finger to rotate it you only need 90 degrees for WA to MAX zoom fantastic and fast.... very smooth nice engineering here

Manual focus is pretty good its like a ground glass screen on an SLR

You can with the front / rearJ Jog wheels adjust aperture and shutter speed in an instant very cool.

On a tripod you can get to the Memory card and or the Battery

The menus and 4way toggle pad is very easy to use.

Coming from an older FZXX you feel at home.

Overall the handling for me is great.

Ok so you want to shoot lots of flowers.... you also want to use bracket well now bracketing stays on by default until you turn it off .... cool ( I think Panasonic listen to users)

I need to get familiar with the Auto focus modes to find what works best for me.

Minuses not many only that the zoom [email protected] out at f3.7 but to incorporate mechanical zoom and match a reasonable 12x zoom lens to the sensor and provide 8MP its a good compromise in terms of Physical size.

I got my feet wet with the FZ1 but the FZ30 is way more more fun ....

Panasonic is simply the new kid on the Block .... watch out Canon / Nikon / Oly ...

John

Old Nov 18, 2005, 6:32 PM   #7

Good choice with the FZ30 John! I've had mine since mid Sept and find that I like it more each day. It's the first camera I've ever had that "grows on you"! Enjoy! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:09 PM   #8

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Good choice with the FZ30 John! I've had mine since mid Sept and find that I like it
more each day. It's the first camera I've ever had that "grows on you"! Enjoy! Jim
Thanks Jim you live in Arizona which has some incredible landscapes but never been there, but ye I considered DSLR but when you add OIS 12- 19.1 X zoom / LEICA lens / Panasonics expertise in LSI electronics and the most advanced Lens facility in the world bar none coupled with the fact the FZ30 is Japanese built its hard to pass up.
The build quality is very good for a plastic bodied camera.

Cooooool Avatar, looks a happy Tiger

Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:18 PM   #9

John, I've noticed that we have some similar plants from your pictures! Yes we do have some interesting landscapes. Snow in the north and desert heat in the Phoenix area. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:53 PM   #10

John. Congrats on your new camera. I am about to break down and get the FZ30 as well if I can fetch a good price for my FZ20 on ebay. I do have one question though: Is it just me or is there very visible noise all over that plant shot? At what ISO was it taken? How does the original look before resizing? Frankly, to me, that noise level, if that's what it is, is intolerable.

Addendum: After posting this, I scrolled through the sample images at http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gal...cfz30_samples/ and realized that they are gorgeous without any visible noise, so my panic has subsided. Whatever I see in the picture above must be artifacts caused by compression or resizing. I can't wait to get my FZ30 now.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote