Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 17, 2005, 1:50 PM   #1

How do you shoot the bright moon with an FZ30. I like someone else on the board simply got a blurred white disc, no detail whatseo-ever. Where do you se tht e camera? Is it an automatic exposure setting or do you go to manual? I realize the timer and a tripod, what about the camera settings itself. In Ky., the moon of course looks different than anywhere else on earth.
nsclcctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2005, 2:50 PM   #2

i'm assuming you're familiar with the FZ-series controls. i use an FZ20, but the techniques should be the same.

use manual settings for aperture and shutter speed. if you use auto, you'll just get what looks like a light bulb up there, with no detail or clarity at all. for a full moon, i've had good luck - and nice, clear results - shooting at f5.6-f8, with shutter speeds of 1/125-1/200, or even 1/250, depending on the brightness of the moon. try several settings to see which one gives you the best result. autofocusworks fine, butset OIS to mode 2, or turn off entirely for tripod use.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 3:46 PM   #3

I have had a few sessions now, with my FZ 30 moon shooting (see my posts) and you know, I got the best shots with auto exposure. I use anywhere from f8 to f11 at 1/125 and use a bit of patience, it sometimes has trouble because the light is blinding to it when the moon is full. Much less difficult when it isn't full. I've experimented using the timed shot just so there is no camera shake at all, but after reading vizionquest's repeated opinion on IS with a tripod, as soon as we get a clear night, I'll try the IS turned off entirely. Even tho, on setting 2 it just activates at the instant the shutter is released. I'm not disappointed with my shots but feel they could be better. If you live in a large city, smog and diffusion from city lights can make a less crisp shot, not to mention normally you are looking thru miles of atmosphere which will distort the light as well. So some nights will be better than others, even if it seems like a clear sky. In addition being 3500 ft above sea level gives me that much less atmoshere to look thru than say a city at sea level. (Why do you think observatories are on mountain tops, away from any cities?) So good luck to you... and let us see some shots here! Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 4:24 PM   #4

Use spot or 1 area focus and spot meter and focus on the edge of the moon the shutterspeed will be pretty fast . Its not difficult to hand hold moon shots.

The main problem comes if you use the pattern metering.

Just go outside and try it...I have tried it with full auto and most every aperture I can think of in manual mode , IS on and off ,and all the results are similar.

And pretty good , maybe not perfect but better than most any other camera.

Here is one at F7 and 3EZ and 2 digital

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 4:39 PM   #5

Genece, That's one of the best moon shots I've seen taken with a digital ! I read your settings but were you using any filters? Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 4:52 PM   #6

that IS a nice shot, Gene, especially for hand-held. the shutter speeds are fast enough to get away with it, using OIS, but i still prefer a tripod for maximum clarity. here's one i took about a6 weeksago without a tripod. ihad my camera on a monopod for some dusk shots, and was on the way home wheni thought i'd five it a try. i don't have the luxury of being above the smog or out of the city, but i still like the results... f5.2, 1/125, 12xzoom with a TCON-14B...

Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2005, 5:47 PM   #7

Thats a very nicemoon photo alsoand I am not sure the photo I posted was without a tripod as I am pretty shakey but I have got some that were handheld but I use a tripod most of the time.

I was only trying to say its not really that difficult just give it a try ..its free.

And Tiger no filters...Maybe a UV ..its almost always on the camera if I am not using a telephoto which I was not in that photo.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:46 PM   #8
jcr

Genece,

That isTHE best moon shop ever seen by an Fz camera or any other digital

congratulations !
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 6:04 PM   #9

Squirl, There's nothing wrong with your moon shot, looks great! I'm convinced that to get a good detailed picture of the moon it has to be in a phase where the earth's shadow is starting to cast across the craters giving them some detail such as yours and Genes' shots. I find that when the moon is full it tends to wipe out the detail of the craters. So I'm leaving the full moon to the werewolfs! :-) Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 6:08 PM   #10

the full moon is, by definition, fully illuminated by the sun, and it needs that light to be at an angle to cast the kinds of shadows that create detail from 240,000 miles away. a nice full moon is a lovely sight, and the 8x10 full moon i have on my wall has gotten several comments from guests, but you're right... the extra detail the shadows of a half or 3/4 moon provides does make for a much more interesting picture...