Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 19, 2005, 9:53 AM   #1

Imaging resource has posted a review of a full production version of the SONY R1 10MP APS-C digicam.

Here's the review:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/R1/R1A.HTM

From the conclusion:

"If you can live within its 24-120mm effective focal length range though, the combination of lens and camera can't be equalled for less than three or four times its selling price of $999. Easily a Dave's Pick, we'd like to see a quicker shutter response, faster shot to shot speed, and especially a larger buffer memory, but there's literally nothing on the market that can touch it for optical quality for less than $3,000 or so. (For camera and lenses combined.)"

Now I hate the styling of the cam - and the review highlights that there is ergnomic issues with it as well but to me this kind of concept camera really appeals. here's a digicam with better image quality than the Canon 20D - now thats saying something ! All the good points of a digicam live preview and histogram, etc and married to a large sensor with shallow DOF. I just hope that Pana puts out an FZ with a similar spec , they need a replacment for the LC1- 4/3CCD: Leica lens 28-150 f2.0-f3.7 (62 or 69mm dia lens) in the 30's body and handlig it would be the perfect cam.

HarjTT

:-) :G :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2005, 6:03 PM   #2

...it would be aperfect additional for those of us who can no longer do without the 12x zoom. I'd love to have both, the current FZ30 and the version you conceptualized.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 6:41 PM   #3

Rduve

I think such a cam concept 4/3 digicam esp with pana's OIS + Leica lens would hopefully produce as good or even better image quality then the SONY and it would compliment our FZ's as well and stop my itch to get a DSLR having to carry all those lenses just puts me off.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
Old Nov 19, 2005, 7:31 PM   #4

Yes, I would add it to my collection.

:idea:
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 1:47 AM   #5

If this camera had better timing response - it would be on my list above an FZ30. But the slowness (especially in flash recharge) kills it for me. By all acounts I've heard, the 30 would be much faster

That 24mm wide would be nice to have
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:19 AM   #6

Some of the other bits I dont like about the R1 apart from its ergonomics is the location of the LCD which is also not high res, location of the flash head, slow lens at the tele end and that unlike the FZ30 the lens extends.

There is soo much that is right with the FZ30, so all pana in theory would need to do is perhaps increase the size slightly so that it could accomodate the larger sensor and a new larger diameter lens - the lens on the R! I believe is a 67mm. Have to agree on having the 24mm wide that would be sweet indeed.

Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:33 AM   #7

I may be awful thick headed ..but I can not see why the R1 would be on the same list as the FZ30. It also does not belong on the samelist with the Sony DSC-H1

Now I think that Sony R1is a great step forward in a consumer camera but it is not an ultrazoom.

I think it belongs on a list with the Fuji F10 or 11, which if price were no object it would win hands down.

Now if they could do that with 24 to 300mm or so that would be something
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:43 PM   #8

Gene

I think the R1 kind of falls into its the wide-zoom group, a bit like the Oly 8080 which was a 28-140mm (f2.4) digicam. I personally wouldnt compare the FZ30 and the Sony R1 as they're different beasts altogether and the best UZ is the FZ30. Now if Pana or anyone else could do a 28-200 f2.4+ that would be seriously interesting, a 24-300 could be doable but I think it would really slow at the tele end of the zoom and be a seriously big/heavy bit of kit.

PMA2006 is happening in Feb2006 - we know Pana will introduce their 4/3 based DSLR then, I'm hoping they also intro a 4/3 Digicam as well.

Harj

:|

Old Nov 20, 2005, 5:51 PM   #9
jcr

...and IMO LC1is a better cam than that Sony one...not intended for tele...but for Wide...huge quality !
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 6:04 PM   #10

Jcr

The LC1 looks right (although I'd like a larger grip but that would kill the style) , that Summicron lens, image quality and the rest of the ergonomics are spot on. The Sony R1 is the first cam since the LC1/D2 that seems to have as good image quality but because of the APS-C sensor its also noise free pics up to ISO400 and useable ISO800/1600. Most LC1 owners that I know off basically shoot at ISO100 to 200 - nothing new as thats how most of us FZ owners shoot but if they can put a 4/3CCD into a replacement, keep the same lens or set it to a 24-140mm and add OIS.

I've got my fingers crossed that Pana/Lecia bring out a replacement and if they do I'll be seriously looking at one - they'll have to price it competitively though as I don't think they will be able to charge the premium they did for the LC1/D2. The Sony R1 is $999 mrp = £581.00 and that's the same price for the FZ30 here in the UK.

HarjTT

:G