Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 20, 2005, 7:06 PM   #1

I'm still shopping for an FZ20. Today I went to Circuit City, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Staples, etc, looking for the FZ20. The closest I got was Circuit City. They had the FZ5. I asked them if they had the FZ20 (they were a little confused until I said Panasonic) and they asked for the specs on it. Eventually I got a "Nope, that's the highest model we have."

So I played with the FZ5 for a while. Most notible was its size. The camera is frickin tiny! It makes my 2 MP Canon PowerShot A60 look like a dSLR. It's a good looking camera and all and it has given me hope that the FZ20 isn't too big for me. Previously I thought the FZ5 was as big as my A60, and after looking at the comparison shots of the FZ5 and the FZ20, I thought the 20 was a huge camera. I guess that is probably not the case (good thing).

I'd still like to feel and hold this camera, but I can't find any stores that carry it! Perhaps someone here has a picture of an FZ20 sitting next to a Canon A60? It's a stretch, but I thought I'd ask
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2005, 7:10 PM   #2

One more note. I checked out the S2 IS (which I was also interested in buying) and I found that it is MUCH larger than I thought it was! It's a very big P&S camera.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:54 PM   #3

Here are the pictures of the two cameras compared to a CD from Steve's reviews. The FZ20 is definitely significantly larger. However, to me it has a nice size and feel, and it is a lot lighter and more compact than my friend's Nikon D70 DSLR for example.

By the way, I am currently selling my FZ20 (silver). It is working perfectly, only about 9 months old. I want to upgrade to the FZ30. Interested in buying it? You can email me at [email protected].

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:55 PM   #4

FZ20 size
Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:59 PM   #5

the FZ20 is a good deal bigger than the FZ5, but it's still not a terribly large camera. it's about the same size as my old Pentax 35mm SLR with a 35-70 lens mounted, and a good bit lighter. it's also vastly more capable. i don't find the size to be a problem at all.

not sure where you'd find an FZ20 on the shelf these days. i don't know where you are, but you might try Kits Camera, if there's one anywhere near you.but alot of stores have switched over to the FZ30, 'cause afterall, if they don't have The Latest Thing, they're terrified their customers willgo somewhere else...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:36 PM   #6

Nizidramanii wrote:
Quote:
So I played with the FZ5 for a while. Most notible was its size. The camera is frickin tiny! It makes my 2 MP Canon PowerShot A60 look like a dSLR.
I don't think so. Here is the a70 (same size as a60) and the fz5.

The fz20 is quite a bit bigger than the fz5. You might find one at Ritz Camera.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:41 AM   #7

Thanks for that comparison fmoore! That's really helpful. I didn't mean that it *literally* made my camera look huge, it just seemed that way in my mind

I think it had to do a lot with the feel. I can get my whole hand around the A60's grip, but I can only hold the FZ5 with 3 fingers.