Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:24 PM   #1

mountain in the entire w o r l d see how it gets its name?
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:29 PM   #2
spy

Great shot! When was it taken? Nice hiking trail in behind it.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:19 PM   #3

Very nice shot Kenneth! The clouds and snow really make it stand out. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:11 AM   #4

spy wrote:
Quote:
Great shot! When was it taken? Nice hiking trail in behind it.
Thanks, guys! I don't often have the luxury of doing the hike but I drive by there all the time on my way to fairmont, where I have a small cabin. This was taken a couple of weeks ago, Nov 5...my son and I went up for a quick weekend trip. I shot the bighorn sheep on the same trip (posted in Panasonic and wildlife) I have tried but haven't been able to get good osprey and bald eagle shots. Lots of possible opportunity but just haven't been lucky. I know when the day comes I should have some good ones. This FZ 30 was made for outdoor shots IMO. (Oh and fabulous dowtown shots btw) Best regards,

KennethD
Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:16 AM   #5

I can see how it got the name. Beautiful shot.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 3:18 AM   #6

Wow!

One of my favourite peaks as well... always enjoyed gazing up at it's massive butresses when travel to and from Banff or Canmore... I've never seen it this late in the year though...

Btw, is that pic cropped, or is it in an odd aspect ratio? Oh and is taken from that lookout on highway 93?

Nigel
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:54 AM   #7

hitmanx wrote:
Quote:
Wow!

One of my favourite peaks as well... always enjoyed gazing up at it's massive butresses when travel to and from Banff or Canmore... I've never seen it this late in the year though...

Btw, is that pic cropped, or is it in an odd aspect ratio? Oh and is taken from that lookout on highway 93?

Nigel
Bingo! Yes, I cropped it to take out the street lights, and you can j u s t see the top of one in the bottom of the pic. Took it from the little rest area, but walked back down toward the junction to where I could see all of it once I walked past the crop of trees at that rest stop there. Tried to keep the crop as close to normal aspect ratio as possible tho. Gorgeous mountain! Impossible to take a bad shot, and really hard to get it just right. (Someone got photo of the day with it last year!) (no not me) Best regards,

KennethD
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:45 AM   #8

Great shot Kenneth. That is a beautiful mountain. As nice as that shot is I'll bet sunrise or sun set on it would knock you socks off.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 1:37 PM   #9

Very nice shot, Kenneth!

I hope you're successful at getting the raptor shots you want. There are so many osprey nests all along the Columbia valley wetlands, and great scenery all through there too, that will make for some great compositions.I suppose you'll have to wait till spring for the ospreys to return.
pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 4:08 PM   #10

Timing is everything. I always stop at that particulair rest area, and it is very accessable as far as getting a great view, and agreed sunset or sunrise would be fab. I almost always have my son and dog with me, let them get out and stretch, but the young lad is always anxious to keep moving, (teenagers...like to keep moving I guess) so I never get to linger very long. I've had many many osprey shots, but I find that being in the right place at the right time is really the key. I'm looking forward to next spring, because I think I learned enough from past attempts, I might actually be posting those raptor shots, come to think of it, I'll post a few I have already just to show how close I came to almost getting a good one. Best regards,

KennethD