Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 22, 2005, 1:27 AM   #1

hi
i was planning to buy the fz30 but i changed my mind and see that 5mp is enough for print and monitor viewing so i will buy fz5 which is also a lot smaller so i can carry it with me all the time, as i use to do with my cameras
also the noise is better

as i can see the fz5 has a lens hood adapter that can mount on 55mm filters, right?
can also the new wide angle convertor 6600 with 55mm be mounted straight on the fz5 without conversion rings?
will there be vignetting?
has anyone tried the 6600, 55mm wide angle convertor on the fz5?

what about the wcon convertor from olympus?

i am generally interested for wide convertors for fz5
akaloith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:25 PM   #2

I don't the the 55mm Raynox is available yet, so it's not really possible to answer your question about vignetting. It will fit and if the threads of the standard adaptor let the 6600 get close to the lens, it should work.

We'll have to wait and see.
sosawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:47 PM   #3

The 52mm dcr6600 .66x wa workswonderfully with the FZ5 - no barrel distortion, no vignetting, and very little corner degradation at higher zooms (see http://www.ishots.net/fz5/wildwoodb&w/) -but only if you get itvery close to the extended lens. This cannot be accomplished with the stock FZ5 adapter. There is 5-6mm of unneccesary plasitic in the way. The modification shown at http://www.ishots.net/fz5/modified_fz5_adapter.htmgets the job done.

The 55mm hd6600 is not going to work much better with the stock FZ adapter. (With a 52mm uv filter placed between the dcr6600 and the modified adapter, which adds about 4mm and effectively duplicates the hd6600/fz5 adapter configuration, there is vignetting.) That plastic has to be removed, but the rt5264p modification linked to above will not suffice because you then need a step ring and that 4mm thickness will cause vignetting. Removal of the 6mm or so of plastic as above and gluing on a 52-55mm step ring might work but I would go with the proven rt5264p modification and the dcr6600.

The olympus .7x wcon07 is another choiceand seems to work better with the stock adapter, but what little data there is on that combo indicates that corner degradation sets in ratherearly in thezoom. For a good analysis of the fz5 and wcon07 see http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13750462

Either way, there is no getting around the fact that the stock fz5 plastic adapter threads poop. For frequent filter/converter use they need to be replaced with metal threads.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:30 PM   #4

sosawdust wrote:
Quote:
I don't the the 55mm Raynox is available yet, so it's not really possible to answer your question about vignetting. It will fit and if the threads of the standard adaptor let the 6600 get close to the lens, it should work.

We'll have to wait and see.

Looks like this place is selling it: http://www.don-sara-parsons.com/raynox/panasonic.html. Unless they are just taking pre-orders and don't have it in stock yet.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:43 PM   #5

I emailed Don Parsons over the weekend and he said he had two in stock at $149 including shipping. From the samples at raynox (click here) it works great with the fz30 at wa and at 3x zoom. (How about higher zooms?) But the threads for attaching add-on lensto the fz30are much closer to the camera lens than those on the fz5 stock adapter arrangement. It will be interesting to see how it works with the fz5.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:12 PM   #6

Fred I have the 52mm one I use with my homemade setup and it works fine thru the entire zoom on the FZ30 so I would think the store bought one will work fine ,as will fovelifes adapter he is to have tomorrow.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:20 PM   #7

Gene - I'm planning on getting one of lovelife's 52-55 rings toreduce vignetting with the dcr6600and 55mm hoya r72ir filter onmy fz1. How much and how do you order? That should make the dcr6600 exactly the same as the hd6600, correct?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:52 AM   #8

Fred

That is my understanding as it is to set the threads of the lens flush with the threads of the ring/ adapter.

And I am pretty sure he said at dpreview that he would have them today.

Here is his site ...maybe you need to Email him about the 6600 adapter.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZjkQ2dconsultants
genece is offline   Reply With Quote