Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:07 PM   #11

Thanks for the reply. Am hoping to get some time in the near future to try some nighttime shots. Probably be of Christmas decorations. Will keep your comments in mind.
gene_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:24 AM   #12

That's a beautiful night shot. Noise?
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 4:41 PM   #13

U used a shutter speed of 8secs or 1/8secs?
le_undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:10 PM   #14

This shot just points out the fun factor of using this camera is high in any situation, used properly. Good chat going on here...best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 6:20 PM   #15

I used 8 seconds.

It was shoot in the middle of the nigth.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 6:45 PM   #16

msantos wrote:
Quote:
I see no any disturbing noise (I mean, just the normal of course).
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but most camera's even at ISO 400 will not show noise at that size. Maybe you should post the full version (or cropped, but unresized).

Just doesn't make sense to post an image that small and claim there is no noise.

Not trying to be pessemistic. I'm not even one of the FZ30=noise monster fanatics. Just trying to be realistic.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 7:40 PM   #17

swgod98 wrote:
Quote:
msantos wrote:
Quote:
I see no any disturbing noise (I mean, just the normal of course).
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but most camera's even at ISO 400 will not show noise at that size. Maybe you should post the full version (or cropped, but unresized).

Just doesn't make sense to post an image that small and claim there is no noise.

Not trying to be pessemistic. I'm not even one of the FZ30=noise monster fanatics. Just trying to be realistic.

Plus, there is no question that noise is not an issue at ISO 80 anyway. The problem is with shots of ISO 200 or above.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 6:34 AM   #18

I think one of the reasons there's no noise is because the built in cameras' nr kicks in removing the noise at a certain length shutter speed. I'm not sure at what speed this happens on the FZ30, but my old Nikon started up the nr at about a 1/4 sec and anything longer.........thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:49 AM   #19

swgod98 escribió:
Quote:
...Maybe you should post the full version (or cropped, but unresized).

you are rigth. Of course there is noise, even at ISO-80. It is not a DSLR. (and also DSLR have noise). But noise is not really an issue for the common of the people who sees our pictures.

My point is that the noise present is not enough reason to not buying the FZ-30, as somebody has asked.

Here is a full size crop from the original, just from the camera, no PS. Noise reduction set to Normal
Attached Images

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:31 PM   #20

Let's face it, noise at ISO 80 or 100 is not an issue, and at ISO 200 it can probably use some Neat Image treatment, but at ISO 400 it is simply intolerable. That's why I will get my DSLR next year when the prices will tumble. I just looked at the ISO 1600 sample from the new Canon 5D and it looks a lot better than the FZ30 image at ISO 400. Until I can afford this type camera, though, theFZ30 is really no worse than other cameras with this size sensor. One just needs to fix the ISO at 80 or 100 and use a tripod as needed. To dispel those rumors that bad noise is somehow unique to the FZ cameras or FZ30 in particular, look at this pic taken at ISO 400 with the Nikon 8800 (which has the slightly larger 2/3 CCD):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/DSCN0453.JPG

Just asbad, if not worse, than what I have seen from the FZ30 at ISO 400, certainly not any better.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote