Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:45 PM   #1

Papo Vazquez Pirates Troubadours

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2005, 6:37 PM   #2

Great series. I love jazz photos.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:32 PM   #3

LadyhawkVA wrote:
Quote:
Great series. I love jazz photos.
So far it is just you and I.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:57 PM   #4

I love Jazz! Your pictures are great also LoneLife. You caught each one just right. My only problem is, if I lisened to that many artist in a row I probably wouldn't be able to hold my camera, much less take photos.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:59 PM   #5

Here is another one who loves Jazz Photos, too. And the music even more. I have not been able to take any yet. My 3-year-old demanded to much attention to be able to take shots at the outdoor Nicholas Payton concert a few weeks ago in Downtown LA. That would have been a great venue to test out my nightshot ability at full zoom. But, I never got to it chasing my boy around.

Question: What's the Exif data on these shots? Zoom, exposure, ISO. And which camera? The FZ30? Is it just my imagination, or is this camera noisier than the FZ20? From the test photos on dpreview, the FZ30 looks noticably worse than the FZ20, each at its full resolution. I don't know how the FZ30 compares at 5MP.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:27 PM   #6

Great shots LoveLife! I'm still looking for the soundtrack!:-) Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:39 PM   #7

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
I love Jazz! Your pictures are great also LoneLife. You caught each one just right. My only problem is, if I lisened to that many artist in a row I probably wouldn't be able to hold my camera, much less take photos.

Don
It was one group with all those musicians. They were supposed to play two 45minute sets with one 15-minute intermission. They played two hour and fifteen minutes with a 15-minute break. It was a small afternoon concert with about 100 people who energized the band. I took 100 shots and 50 were bad because I kept moving the camera to the music. OIS has its limits.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:42 AM   #8

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Here is another one who loves Jazz Photos, too. And the music even more. I have not been able to take any yet. My 3-year-old demanded to much attention to be able to take shots at the outdoor Nicholas Payton concert a few weeks ago in Downtown LA. That would have been a great venue to test out my nightshot ability at full zoom. But, I never got to it chasing my boy around.

Question: What's the Exif data on these shots? Zoom, exposure, ISO. And which camera? The FZ30? Is it just my imagination, or is this camera noisier than the FZ20? From the test photos on dpreview, the FZ30 looks noticably worse than the FZ20, each at its full resolution. I don't know how the FZ30 compares at 5MP.
Well at lest your child is getting early exposure to good music. Yes the noise level is much worse then the FZ10. I have both Cameras andsell products for the Panasonic FZ cameras. After I complete my accessory testing the FZ30 goes on eBay. The worst thing is the focus is not tack sharp it takes constant attention. You will see in the pictures how few are on the money. I have to run two clicks to the red for bright light environment and +2/3 on the exposure bias. The 5MP setting does nothing to decrease the noise level the engineers are just shutting off pixels by enlarging a portion of the image.

This shoot was done at a small afternoon concert I took 130 pictures and dumped 75 because of focus problems. Here is what I kept you can pick out the sharp ones see the noise. There was some light coming thru the windows behind me and I used flash to fill on most of the pictures. The nice to haves are not worth the problems. If you want to upgrade buy an FZ20. BTW, this is my second FZ30. Here is the gallery with all the images you examine each image and its corresponding exif.

http://lovelife.smugmug.com/gallery/986916/1/45609492
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:44 AM   #9

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Great shots LoveLife! I'm still looking for the soundtrack!:-) Jim
The tracks are on the other side of the photos silly.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 1:26 AM   #10

Thanks Lovelife for your honest, unbiasedfeedback. I currently own the FZ20 and have been going back and forth about upgrading to the FZ30. I decided not to because of the unhandled, possibly worsened noise issue. You convinced me that I made the right choice. Maybe they get it right in the next generation. I understand the challenges with the utrazoom, small sensor, noise dilemma. I would acutally be ok with an 8x zoom which could be extended to 12x at4 megapixels (that should be about the equation with the "extended optical zoom" which is really the same as cropping anyway). Otherwise I get a DSLR, which should be under $500 by the end of next year and keep my beloved FZ20 for ultra zoom purposes. Here are some comments I posted on this issue in another forum: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Good to have another Jazz lover around in this forum.

PS: Check out the autumn shots I took with my FZ20 today: http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries/autumnshots
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote