Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:48 AM   #1

Okay, showing my extreme ignorance here: what is the thread size on the FZ20? Don't see it in the manual, and forums and lens and adapter web pages are tough to decipher:

· "All FZ20 adapters are 64mm inside threads"
· "62mm accessories (for the FZ20) do not need this ... it starts with a 62mm Adapter"
· "Panasonic Lumix FZ20/FZ10 filter thread size is 72mm"

controltheweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:56 AM   #2

If you use the original Panasonic adapter (from the camera box) it is 72mm

you can buy 3rd party adapters, as Paheye or Pemaraal, and they vary in the threads.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:09 AM   #3

Thanks!

There are two sides to each adapter that uses threads: the side that attaches to the camera is the side I'm trying to figure out. The manual says that the actual lens size maxes out at 72mm -- so any adapter with threads has to have a 72mm size to attach to the FZ20, correct?

Or if I buy a lens with 72mm threads, I could choose to attach it directly, right?
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:14 AM   #4

You can also buy the 62mm cRing adaptor from LoveLife on Amazon. It's a little more expensive, butI believe, when used with the cRing stepup or stepdown rings, gets the add on lens closer to the Pana lens, giving a little less distortion.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:20 AM   #5

Okay, but what size are the attaching threads? The CRing on ebay says

62mm accessories (for the FZ20) do not need this ... it starts with a 62mm Adapter

I'm thinking (too ignorant of camera terminology and meanings, obviously) in the old nuts and bolts way: Doesn't it have to be one and only one specific size to attach to the camera if using threads?

Put another way: How can both a 62mm and a 72mm fit on the same lens? Is there a second set of threads on the lens I'm overlooking? Thanks for the help and patience!
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:42 AM   #6

If you use the in-box adapter for your camera, you will use 72mm lens, your camera will look like this:

If you buy, for example a Pemaraal PD-62 adapter, you will use less expensive 62mm filters, and your camera will look like this:

These are the two adapters:

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 1:21 PM   #7

controltheweb wrote:
Quote:
Okay, but how does it attach? The CRing on ebay says

62mm accessories (for the FZ20) do not need this ... it starts with a 62mm Adapter

I'm thinking (too ignorant of camera terminology and meanings, obviously) in the old nuts and bolts way: Doesn't it have to be one and only one specific size to attach to the camera if using threads?

Put another way: How can both a 62mm and a 72mm fit on the same lens? Is there a second set of threads on the lens I'm overlooking? Thanks for the help and patience!

the adapter is just a tube with the inside of each end threaded. the threads are different sizes - one end, witha slightly larger thread diameter,screws onto the camera, the other accepts filters or other attachments. to attach the adapter to the FZ20. you remove the trim ring, which is right in front of the focus ring, and screw the adapter on to those threads. the FRONT threads of the adapter are the 62mm ones, and are the ones that count when selecting filters, accessories, etc.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 1:48 PM   #8

See if I can explain ,if you get lovelifes adapter the end for the camera is 64mm as is all adapters for the FZ20.

and the end for lenses is 62mm which is why he said you do not need a Cring for 62mm lens or filters.

You only need the adapter for $33.00....His web site is very difficult to understand but his adapter is a very good quality.

Later on if you get a lens like a Tcon 17 with 55mm threads you can just get the 55mm Cring, that fits the adapter, from him which keeps the lens closer to the camera than using a step ring for optimal performance.

this is a picture of the adapter with a filter mounted.

controltheweb wrote:
Quote:
Okay, but how does it attach? The CRing on ebay says

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 1:55 PM   #9

Thanks, everyone!

You're all being so helpful, I'm sorry for my confusion. I'm still not 100% clear, without mentioning lenses or adapters or filters, on "FZ20 lens thread .. what size is it?" genese, you stated it fairly directly: "end for the camera is 64mm as is all adapters for the FZ20." (But no one else mentioned that size.)

So, is the size of the thread on the camera before anything is attached to it 64mm? (If so, I'm guessing then that the in-box adapter attaches to the camera via a 64mm size, and then presents a 72mm size at the other end.)

Sorry for being thickheaded, but I'm just looking for clarity here on the thread size on the camera. No need to mention lenses or adapters or filters, etc.

:crazy:
Old Nov 24, 2005, 3:34 PM   #10

You have the sizescorrect now.

I think you do not have the camera in your hands, am I correct?

The lens on the FZ20 has no threads...There is a ring on the body of the camera when you remove that ring it exposes 64mm threads and that is where an adapter threads on. Either the Panasonic one or an aftermarket one. The actual camera lenssits inside the adapters. this is the ring that comes off

And I do not want to add to your confusion but what most people have been trying to say isthat while a 72mm filter will fit the supplied adapter ..that is not the best place for a filter, so far from the camera lens. If you do not plan on getting any add on lenses then you could just add a 72mm filter to the supplied adapter, but it will be very prone to flairing and ghosting.

Go to this site and click on FZ10 and then adapter tube

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/
genece is offline   Reply With Quote