Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:25 AM   #11

Now, this is without the Xenar....
Attached Images

jrozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:28 AM   #12

...and WITH it :
on tripod, F:8 daylight, ISO 200. No correction, no filter, no Photoshop.

My first comments : no vigneting at all (the white walls are a very good subject for testing this) , only a slight loss of definition, acepptable barrel distorsion. Rather happy with this choice !

the FZ5's 36 mm becomes a 25,2 mm (or so).... Later I'll try to zoom with the add-on lens to see its limits
Attached Images

Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:43 AM   #13

Looks real good. Is this on the stock fz5 adapter? Did you shorten the adapter at all? I'll be interested in seeing how it does at higher zooms; 3x, 6x, and 9x.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:03 AM   #14

The adapter is as is, no transformation : I screwed the lens direct on the thread, fits perfectly well. The distance between the rear of the Xenar and the front lens on the FZ5 seems perfect. I'll try to zoom in soon. Other pics are coming! Be patient
Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:19 PM   #15

jrozen wrote:
Quote:
The adapter is as is, no transformation : I screwed the lens direct on the thread, fits perfectly well. The distance between the rear of the Xenar and the front lens on the FZ5 seems perfect. I'll try to zoom in soon. Other pics are coming! Be patient
Patient? Now you really are asking a lot of us.:-) But that lens looks really good. I would love to see a side by side compair with the Raynox 6600, seeing how that is generally considered to be the best WA lens going right now.

Thanks for the info.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 3:33 AM   #16

Unfortunately, I do NOT intend to buy a Raynox, or any other lens right now :O
I'l post ASAP some pictures with different zoom steps. The zoom command on the FZ5 is'nt the most appropriate to do this, due to its lack of progressivity.
Sure the Raynox has good reviews too, but the Schneider Xenar seems to yield more or less the same quality . And it's a lightweight, which means that the lens thread does'nt suffer from its weight....
Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:47 AM   #17

Here are the comparative specs on the dcr6600 andthe schneider. (The new Raynox hd6600 is identical to the dcr6600 but with 55mm rear threads.) Specs are from b&h photo where the respective prices are $100 and $120.Also included are the specs for the olympus wcon07b which has beencommented onas being identical to the schnieder. It also appears to be out of production. From jrozen's samples, the schneider shows no vignetting at1x zoomwith the fz5stock adapter. This is also the case with the wcon07. The wcon07 exhibits corner degradation at increased zooms. We are awaitng jrozen's futher testing to see what the schneider does at higher zooms. The dcr6600shows significant vignetting with the fz5 stock adapter plus required step ring as well as corner degradation at advanced zoom. Modifying the fz5 adapter to get the 6600 as close to the fz5 lens as possible eliminates both vignetting and corner degradation. (Corner degradation might be eliminated with the wcon07 if the fz5 adapter is shortened. The same could be said of the schneider should it show corner degradation.)

Magnification
0.66x 0.7x 0.7x

Rear Mount Diameter
52mm 55mm 55mm

Front Mount Diameter
72mm None None

Construction, Elements/Groups
3E/3G 4E/G (n/a) 3E/3G

Lens Diameter
3.0" (77mm) 3.8" (96mm) 3.9" (101mm)

Length
1.6" (40mm) 1.8" (46mm) 1.6" (40mm)

Weight
5.7 oz (178g) 8.0 oz (227g)9.0 oz (255g)
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:32 AM   #18

Fred,

Thanks for the spec compare. I should have said the new HD6600 in my post. By eliminating the need for the 55-52 step ring I'm thinking the performance on the FZ3 will be "close" to as good as the modified FZ5 adapter. From what I remember the fit of the FZ3 adapter is better then that of the FZ1-2 or the 5. I would expect the HD6600 to go for a slight premium because it is a new lens so I think the price point will be almost the same as the schneider.

By the way Adorama as it, the schneider for $109.95

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:33 AM   #19

I too am very interested in the results.....as I'm not the handy man when it comes to shortening my fz5 adapter. I like what I see.....and am looking forward to some more examples.....Thanks so much for your time, information,and experimentation. bentleysmom
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:46 AM   #20

I do not feel the need to shorten the FZ5 adaptor. When it works, don't repair.