Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 25, 2005, 6:25 PM   #1

Hi,I'm going on a 4mth backpacking trip to Asia, AU and NZ. I've been looking at the Lumix DMC-LZ2. I would like a compact digital camera with min 5mp, nice macro and good on batteries. I am especially concerned about batteries because I 'm not sure if I will be able to charge the batteries every night while I'm away.DMC LZ2 camera users..* any comments, advice? What are the camera's pros, cons?Thanks!
sharonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2005, 7:53 PM   #2

This is a great camera for that purpose, because of:

* Compact

* O.I.S. Works excellent!!

* Macro deos well, but 6x zoom is great for a compact

* 2 x AA Standard batteries, so you can use rechargables or buy them in the nearest supermarket. You can also carry 4 spare batteries with no much bunch.

My father was to Egypt last summer, and asked me for a compact camera for his trip. I suggested it (without having tried it :G). He bought it and he love it.

When I saw his pictures, I decided to buy one for me. I actually have a FZ-30 and the LZ2 for easy carrying. It is great

Here are some pictures from his DMZ-LZ2. He is a totally totally totally newbie.

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:31 PM   #3

hi msantos,
Thanks very much for your reply. The pictures from Egypt are amazing.. I hope to bring back some nice photos from Asia as well. I've decided to buy the LZ2.. I'm really excited! I've used digital cameras before but I've never actually had my own camera. I will start looking into SD cards once I buy the camera... any suggestions on SD cards-- is there a particular brand that works best with panasonic cameras?
thanks!
sharonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:10 AM   #4

sharonator wrote:
Quote:
hi msantos,
Thanks very much for your reply. The pictures from Egypt are amazing.. I hope to bring back some nice photos from Asia as well. I've decided to buy the LZ2.. I'm really excited! I've used digital cameras before but I've never actually had my own camera. I will start looking into SD cards once I buy the camera... any suggestions on SD cards-- is there a particular brand that works best with panasonic cameras?
thanks!
Hi Sharonator.

About the SD cards - I've used Sandisk SD cards (regular ones) and those from Panasonic, for the last 3 years (For my FZ-1 and FZ-10). They've been working perfectly and I never had any problems with them. I was informed that the higher end Sandisk SD Cards - The ULTRA, will gives you a much better performance (i.e. better writing speed). But that comes with higher price.

My suggestion is to buy the largest size you can buy (i.e. 512MB). But I had different advices about the maximum size. Some people said that anything bigger than 1GB is inherently unstable (more prone to problems). But others said the quality have now improved that there shouldn't be a problem with large size SD cards. In all fairness, SD cards (in my understanding) have the lowest trouble rates.

I've been travelling around Asia and Australia as well. I'm sure you will have a great time there! Enjoy the Lumix!
aswp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 4:30 AM   #5

Sandisk SD Ultra II does a great job. I suggest going to 1 Gb as maximum, and for this travel, get at least 2.

One more sugestion is going to any Internet cafe, or business center at the hotel and backup your picts in CD before traveling back... just in case.

Please post your picts from this amazing travel!!!
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 1:51 PM   #6

After reading up a lot on the DMC-LZ2 I've decided to buy it this weekend. The only 2 cons people keep telling me about is when its dark the pictures dont come out good and when you take a picture there is some fuzziness around the edges. Is this true, if it is then how BAD is it?
Flash IXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:49 PM   #7

Just some suggestion, since LZ5 already in the market for a while and the price I think just U$30 more than LZ2. Should consider LZ5 instead, with some additional feature such as High ISO mode, I'm FZ7 user, I found High ISO mode sometimes maybe quite useful, especially if you want to shoot at night :idea:

Check this out:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...nic_dmclz5.asp
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote