Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 25, 2005, 8:46 PM   #1

Hi all! Been away from here for a while as have not had time to take pictures. But yesterday I had the camera out wiht me as i had to take some pictures from work for a magazine article and then in the evening I had it with me at a work related do.
When i got home I put the sd card in my pc's card reader and they were all there and it was all fine. Tonight i wanted to look at them andsave to my pc to sort them out and the pc asked to format the card and seemed to claim there were no pictures/files on the card!
In panic I searched for info on the net and managed to find a little program which recovers lost files from memory cards...and installed it (it was a free one).
To my great surprsie it worked almost too well. Not only did it recover and save to my pc the lost ones but also previous ones which I had deleted from the card including some pics i had already shown here months ago!
So if anyone here comes across the same predicament....all hope is not lost.
You can try this programme and surprisingly it is free and also does nto appear to have any spyware as far as I could find out!

You can find it here:
http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_medi...uk/welcome.htm

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2005, 5:47 AM   #2

Hi jussi (=Old Finn?),
I had the same experience in my early FZ5 days.
There has to be warning to all beginners!

If your card reader does not show the picture (format card, transfer of cut/half pictures etc.), but your camera shows all desired pictures still:

Please search the original box of the FZ. There is a wonder inside - the unused software and a cable for the incredible USB 1.0 connection. This will help!
Start a safe transfer with this connection!

If the pictures were deleted or the sd card was formatted, most pictures can be recovered by software. But (!!!!!!) you should do this task with a new (faster) reader, your old reader had problems before (and will have in future), while recovering he could finish his destructive work.

New card readers are cheap (I use a USB stick like mini adapter).
I had to use new readers for my faster cards (>=40X)

Sven

by the way:
did you have these problems with your new Mustek media player?
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 4:28 PM   #3

Very good advice from Seemolf. In June I took my FZ20 and two SanDisk SD high-speed cards (256 and 512) with me for a tour of Denmark and Norway and filled both cards to capacity. When I returned, the Sandisk Reader handled the 256 card with no problem butlocked up with the 512 card.

Panic set in - then I remembered the software and cable that came with the FZ, and this worked perfectly. I have since found that the Sandisk Reader can handle the 512 card when it's only partly filled, so I don't think there's anyfault with the card itself.
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 9:00 PM   #4

Not so old seemolf...thanks.
(well actually I am getting there .....)

I have two readers and I think that might have set it off. I just built a new computer which has in built card readers and my printer has card readers as well. When I built and set up the new pc I did not install the printer yet so everything was fine with reading my sd cards. But then i decided to (needed to) install the printer drivers and programs and that's when I appeared to have lost the pictures. I don't know if the pc somehow could not cope with two separate readers in one machine at the same time?
My previous pc also had inbuilt card reader and that could not read my cards for some reason but the printer could...go figure.
I also have an usb one but have not used it for a long time.
I haven't really used the usb from camera to pc as I foudn it a bit cumbersome and slower than the card reader. But if this keeps happenign I might have to do that.
I now have card readers all over the place it seems and don't really want to get yet another one........
Haven't dared to try again with another card.
Thanks for advise in any case...
from the old(ish) finn
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:45 AM   #5

Hi jussi = young Finn
(there is a user old Finn = jussi in dpreview...).
When I lost some pictures in the beginning, there was a discussion on defect SD cards which was misleading. As long as the camera reads all (!) pictures, people should take a close look at their card readers!
But your programm helps with lost pictures even after formatting. I have a cheap programm from sandisk at hand. But this did not help with the old card reader mentioned above.

Sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote