Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 26, 2005, 5:06 PM   #1

Iown a Lumix DCM-LC33, and it has recently stopped working outside of the "Playback" mode. When I turn it on (in any camera setting), the lens whirrs and comes out as normal, but then retracts and "SYSTEM ERROR" is displayed on the screen. The manual says this message occurs "because of pressure to the lens," and offers turning off the camera as its only solution. I've tried this many times without success, and I've even tried new batteries and a different memory card.

Any suggestions out there? If you've had the same problem, please contact me at[email protected]. I've foundtwo otherpeoplewho have the same problem theircameras,both after two years of use -- exactly the same timing as mine. We're now interested in seeing if this is a larger problem, or is it'smerely coincidental.

d_khuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:39 PM   #2

Hello:I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem.* I'm having the exact same issue with my LC33.**
gerasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:33 PM   #3

did u look see if there is anything physicaly stopping the lens from moving ?

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:55 PM   #4

The lens comes out normally at first.... there's a pause of a few seconds and then it retracts back into the camera.* That's when I get the "System Error" message on the display screen.**It used to be that turning on and then turning off the camera would be enough, but today that doesn't work.* It's the first time I haven't been able to get past the error message.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:47 AM   #5

Problem solved..... all by itself.* This morning the camera worked fine.**Very strange.....
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:15 AM   #6

hmmm
now THAT .... is weird

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:27 PM   #7

Did you do anything between last night and this morning, like put in new or freshly charged batteries? Sometimes new battereis with a little more juice left in them will be able to overcome a little resistance when the lens is trying to extend.

I also have an LC-33, and have had no trouble with it. My son dropped it on concrete from shoulder height when it was new, and aside from a small scratch on the case, it shows no evidence of the accident. It appears to be built pretty well. Glad to hear that yours is working again.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:51 PM   #8

I didn't do anything different.* I've been using the same rechargeable batteries for the last few years with now problem.* I had a set of the rechargeables in the camera and it sat turned off overnight.**This morning it worked like it always has.*I was very concerned yesterday because* I was getting the system error message for several hours.* That's never happened before.* *Usually it's an easy matter of turning it off and then back on.I've also dropped my camera but from about table height about six months ago.* My LC-33 is really a tank.* It has gotten extensive use over the years because I use it in my classroom.**At some point I'll trade up to something more modern, but now isn't that time.