Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:41 AM   #1

I recently had thisrealization that instead of actually being out there taking pictures and exploring the full capacity of my beloved FZ20, I found myself spending hours researching cameras, megapixels, noise, debating if I should upgrade from the FZ20 to the FZ30, etc. . So, I got all that out of my mind and I am back at taking pictures.

And it certainlyis a spiritual experience toalwayssearch for that perfect shot, that unusual angle, inspiring lighting, etc.Just took a long walk with my kids to go on a photo tour. One of the most unexpected shots turns out to be my favorite. I applied the Watercolor effect to it, and it looks like a painting. See below.

I started to build a galleries at zoto.com to save my pictures on-line. They give you 2GB of free space. I am just starting to post pics. Mine are at http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries/, but there are a lot more to come. Check in frequently if you like. Makes it easier to permanently have them stored and organized by subjects and themes.

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2005, 1:19 AM   #2

Oh, this certainly is a well composed shot. Very peaceful scene. Nicely done.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 3:55 AM   #3

"artists, not machinists"... well put! it's all well and good to know how our cameras work, and to understandtheir strengths and weaknesses sowe can optimizetheir performance. but we should never lose sight, amongst all the megapixels and sensors and lenses, that a camera is nothingmore than a tool we employ to create our personal vision of the world around us. we should never get so wrapped up in "keeping up with the Joneses", or in trying to have the latest gizmos and gadgets, that we forget why we took up the hobby to begin with, and we should never - ever - forget that it's the eye of the person behind the camera that makes the shot, and that's something all the technology in the world cannot replace.

maybe that's the biggest reason i've not chosen to pursue the FZ30... because i find the FZ20 offers me plenty of performance and capability toallow me to express and share my vision of the world around me, andas long as it is able to do that, i seen no need to shop for a replacement.i have a long way to go yet before i exhaust the possiblities and the capabilities of the FZ20, because i know that merely adding a few more megapixels or a few extra features will notmake mea better photographer. when and if i find that my photographic skill and/or artistic ambitions exceed what my trusty FZ20 can deliver,then - and only then - will i think about moving "up" to something else.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 4:42 AM   #4

Up to now I myself and not camera (FZ5) is the limiting factor! I was wearing around a long list of features with me, one year before the FZ5 appeared. There was no camera on the market fitting my list and available money. The FZ20 came very close, but my last decisive point was "immediate" shooting. I ordered the FZ5 ahead of its release date. I could not be disappointed for the next 2-3 years!

I have been a machinist for some time because I need about half a year to get used to all important functions of a camera. The next phase has to last for more than 1 1/2 years, to harvest the fruits of my learning process.
I have to work at the difference between "sight and vision" now as suze stated.

Rainer, wellcome to the club. Lovely sunsets, e.a.
You will find some more of us, following this thread:
http://sgsg.zoto.com/user/settings/friends
Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 4:51 AM   #5

Great, Sven. Thanks for the invite. I will make an exception to my old Groucho Marx rule that I would never join a club that would accept somebody like me as a member.

:roll:
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 5:16 AM   #6

You hit the nail on the head Rainer! I love my FZ-15 and haven't even scratched the surface on the cameras abilities. Then I started hearingabout it's very few faults and started worring instead of having fun. Someone said the other day that they likedour forum because everybody posted photos instead of complaining. Truth be known, I probably couldn't afford it if they did come out with the perfect FZ for us.

Don

d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 5:42 AM   #7

I knew that Woody Allen had this rule:
"...... my old Groucho Marx rule that I would never join a club that would accept somebody like me as a member"
So he has stolen this idea??
Sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:01 AM   #8

Beautiful Shot!

Well said. Keep shooting that FZ whatever you have and any other camera for that matter.

I do like it here most of all since it does more in showing how much one enjoys this hobby rather than how much they regret their purchase.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote