Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:53 PM   #1

Dear all.

I am curious about the largest print you can get from FZ-10? Here I mean using full resolution in 50 ASA - without cropping.

I've been experimenting with FZ-10 as a studio camera. Got some good results but I'm curious how big a print I can expect from it. I'll share the pictures (from the studio shoot) later.

Thank you
aswp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:23 AM   #2

generally speaking, you should allow at least 200 pixels per inch for a film-quality print. using this guide, you should be able to get "photo-quality" prints up to about 8.5x11" from theFZ10.

having said that, i should also point out that because of the FZ's terrific optics and image processing, you can often get excellent results with lower pixel counts. i've had prints made at 175 pixels per inch that are indistinguishable from a film shot. a lot depends on where you're printing your pics. a home printer will often produce satisfactory results for shots with plenty of pixels to spare, but for marginal print sizes, you're best off having the prints done professionally. in any case, you shouldn't expect top-notch prints with less than 175ppi.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 4:26 AM   #3

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I was curious because some people said exactly the same as you did, but others have said you can expect to have nice print up to A3 size. I did print (in commercial printer) pictures from 2MP files (FZ-1) without cropping - up to 8 x 10 inches. It looks ok - as you said depending how far the viewing distances is.

Again thank you for the help.
aswp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:13 AM   #4

"nice print" is pretty subjective. i've made 8x10's from an FZ1 that looked pretty good as well, and with a bit of interpoliation, i've made some that looked very good indeed. but to geta printthat is considered "photo quality",you need a top-nothc printer and a minimum of 175ppi. 200 ppi is better. you may well be able to interpolate and upsize your 4MP images to make 11x14 prints, but a lot depends on your subject matter and printing. you'll just have to experiment a bitto see what how large you can go before you see image quality start to degrade.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:55 AM   #5

Aswp, 4-5Mp camera can produce nice prints of A3 size, but obviously they'll be more nice the more you are distantfrom them when observing; at a close inspection the low pixel density/resolution will be evident.
I tell this for knowledge not for direct expoerience, as Ihave never attempted a print from my FZ20 larger thanpostcard size (I have a small format Canon printer).

I d be very curious to print at large size A4 - A3 some of my FZ20 shots
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:56 PM   #6

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
I tell this for knowledge not for direct expoerience, as Ihave never attempted a print from my FZ20 larger thanpostcard size (I have a small format Canon printer).

I d be very curious to print at large size A4 - A3 some of my FZ20 shots
Narmer, i've made prints at 11"x14" (roughly comparable to A3) with my FZ20 that are film-quality, and exceed even the best results i got at that print size with my Pentax film SLR. A4 prints (about 8.5"x11") are "photo-quality" with no problem at all. i have not tried printing at 16"x20" (40x50cm), partly because that would entail upsizing and a LOT of interpolated pixels, and partly because i really don't have room on my wall for a framed print that size!

you should be able to get some very nice A3 and A4 prints with your '20.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 4:22 PM   #7

I read a post a while back from someone who blew up a 2Mp image from an UZI to 16 X 20 inches for his office wall and said everyone was surprised it wasn't a film photo. I'm guessing it probably wasn't a group shot where people come up very close to see the individual faces. But the size you can get from a 4Mp shot is very dependent on the viewing distance and subject matter. I print 11 X 14 images from my FZ10 that look quite nice and 13 X 17s from my 5Mp camera. More pixels definitely improve the image, but not by as much as some people think.

Run some tests. I don't think you can do it with Photoshop, but there are utilities that let you put images with different resolutions on the same page. Or you can take ever larger crops from an image and upsample them all to the same PPI, then drag them into a single 8.5 X 11 Photoshop file. You would likely upsample an image with limited pixels anyway.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:24 PM   #8

I have had no problem printing gorgeous photo quality images from my FZ20 up to 13x19 on my Canon i9900. I have not used interpolation for that, but a little sharpening is a good idea.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote