Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:32 PM   #11

This is one reason why I've always hesitated to get on the review lists for the camera makers for my own site. I'm afraid I'd get bombarded with models like Steve and the other larger reviewers do, and since I don't do this for a living, I'd go nuts!

One thing that I noticed was that Steve's iso 80 shots look noticeably better in quality than similar shots I've seen in some other reviews.

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps Panasonic has tweaked the firmware in the newer models that are shipping out, as opposed to that first batch that some folks got very early on. It seems as though that first shipping batch is the one everyone sees the really bad noise issues on, while folks who are just now getting newly produced models are saying it's not as bad as people have been talking about. Wonder if this was a quality control issue with the earliest batches of the camera?
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:57 AM   #12

Atlantagreg, I purchased one of the first batch to hit the stores, (FZ30), and have had no noise problems with mine, other than at ISO of 200 and over. Even then have been able to correct the problem with 3rd party software. I had noise with my FZ20 with ISO of 200 and over! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 1:26 AM   #13

I love the Smile and say "Nuts" photo.

Also very much appreciate your work
Bootneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 3:39 AM   #14

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Atlantagreg, I purchased one of the first batch to hit the stores, (FZ30), and have had no noise problems with mine, other than at ISO of 200 and over. Even then have been able to correct the problem with 3rd party software. I had noise with my FZ20 with ISO of 200 and over! Jim

At ISO 200 and over is at issue. The light noise below that really doesn't bother anybody.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:05 AM   #15

And why, in your opinion, should one use ISO 200 and above?
Available light photography is oh so great!
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 1:19 PM   #16

Leberwurstsaft wrote:
Quote:
And why, in your opinion, should one use ISO 200 and above?
Available light photography is oh so great!

Because, dear Liverwurstjuice, we cannot shoot anything like this with our FZ cameras: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=82. And I would love to since my son is in a basketball league.

:blah:

PS: Don't get me wrong. I own the FZ20, and I LOVE it. But I am also aware of its limitations. Another thing that drives me nuts is that the burst mode is almost impossible to use with moving objects or sports action since both viewfinders freeze up during shooting.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 1:31 PM   #17

Oh, I see.
That is truly impossible with the FZs. But since I'm not into those kind of subjects, it will not be a problem for me. And you should better start saving your money on one of those 20D thingies, or even better ones :idea:
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 2:07 PM   #18

Yeah, I think the Sony R1 is setting a new standard for a consumer digicam with an almost full size CMOS sensor. First reviews say that the image quality exceeds the Canon EOS D-20. In a couple of years, I think, this will probably be the new standard, and one can get it coupled with let's say an 8x zoom and IS in a reasonably sized, afordable camera. Hopefully a Panasonic. That would be the ticket.

Anyway, enough off topic talk.

Thanks toStevefor posting thewell deserved positive review of the FZ30.

Old Nov 30, 2005, 2:39 PM   #19

Steve

Firstly John thanks for letting us know that the review was up and to Steve also for the review itself and I really appreciate the amount of work that you and all the other digicam sites put into doing these camera reviews.

My own opinions are that ergonomically Pana have hit the bullseye with the FZ30 and every review that I have seen whether its online or in print state this. Regards noise levels's I was slighty suprised that it wasn't mentioned as much as in the dpreview/dcresource but then the http://megapixel.com review made hardly any mention of it and again practically none of the camera mag's here in the UK have complained about it being excessive - they make a note that nearly all small sensor CCDs have noise and they have consistently voted the FZ30 the best prosumer cam currently on the market - better than the Fuji 9000/9500 or Sony H1in terms of image quality, ergonomics and in use. I'm sure if they put the FZ30 out as a 6MP cam noise would not have been an issue at all and we may have even had an ISO50 again.

Steve, any chance of posting some shots that squirrel took with the Nikon must be tack sharp if that was VR lens!

Cheers

HarjTT

:|

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 8:56 PM   #20

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Regards noise levels's I was slighty suprised that it wasn't mentioned as much as in the dpreview/dcresource but then the http://megapixel.com review made hardly any mention of it -

That link does not lead me to any camera reviews. I'd like to read it.